389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps it's time the players took on more responsibility to help out Young! It's only a game of football not brain surgery, and our players have been together now for a while and have played the opposition often enough to surely not need telling what to do to counter them. It's time they stopped feeling sorry for themselves, rolled up the sleeves and got on with it, and try an encourage a potential manager to accept the job.

As for the Young bashing. He knows his limitations, and never asked to be put in the position he find himself in, so give it a rest. Players win games, and it's time they did just that!

perhaps it's time the players took on more responsibility to help out Young! It's only a game of football not brain surgery, and our players have been together now for a while and have played the opposition often enough to surely not need telling what to do to counter them. It's time they stopped feeling sorry for themselves, rolled up the sleeves and got on with it, and try an encourage a potential manager to accept the job.
Spot on. I understand that you don't get the same feel for a game on the pitch as you do on the sideline, but guys like Craigan should be able to help re-organize the team on the fly and, at the very least, get the playesr motivated and in about the opposition.

From BBC

Motherwell will hold further talks on Wednesday with former Scotland international Stuart McCall about the club's managerial vacancy.

The 46-year-old ex-Bradford boss impressed the board of the Lanarkshire club after his initial interview.

Negotiations with other candidates failed to bear fruit and McCall is now seen as the man to succeed Craig Brown.

Well had interviewed former Oldham boss Dave Penney, while Neil McDonald and Ricky Sbragia withdrew their interest.

Should talks with McCall progress as Motherwell hope, the club could make a statement as early as Wednesday evening but a more likely scenario is that the former Scotland midfielder would be paraded at a media conference within the next 48 hours.

McCall was a key player at Ibrox in the 1990s when Walter Smith was in his first stint as Rangers manager.

Penney, 46, had emerged as a possible candidate for the Fir Park vacancy, and had been interviewed, his experience in England's lower leagues appealing to the Motherwell board.

Former Blackburn Rovers assistant Neil McDonald pulled out of the running after deciding the job was not for him.

That followed a similar decision by Sunderland chief scout Sbragia.

Should an appointment not be made ahead of Wednesday's game against Celtic, interim manager Gordon Young is prepared for a third game in charge.

"I've always adopted the attitude that I would keep the place on a steady footing and organise so that when a new manager came in, whether it be a day or a month, there would be no way he wouldn't hit the ground running," said youth coach Young.

"I have planned for the game tomorrow, I have planned for Hamilton and, believe it or not, I have planned for Dundee the week after.

"I'm like General Montgomery going down to see the troops every morning, I give them a battle plan and the casualty list. It is becoming a bit of a laugh in the dressing-room."

McDonald became the latest to fall by the wayside despite holding negotiations in Scotland and watching Motherwell's 4-1 defeat by Rangers on Boxing Day.

The 45-year-old, who was surprisingly sacked along with Sam Allardyce at Ewood Park this month, returned to his Preston home to think over the post but decided against progressing with negotiations.

He fulfilled the criteria laid out by Motherwell vice-chairman Derek Weir as he told BBC Scotland on Sunday they were down to "two, maybe three" candidates for their managerial vacancy following more than 40 applications.

"There are three things we are looking for," revealed Weir. "We want someone who is well known in the lower leagues of England, because that has worked well for us in the past in terms of finding players we can afford.

"People who have a network in terms of bringing in loan signings, which again has worked well for us.

"And then people with experience, either in the Scottish or English game.

"There are a lot of people out there who have all of that. Now we have to narrow it down."

That would appear to rule out the likes of former Hibernian manager John Hughes, ex-St Mirren boss Gus MacPherson and former Aberdeen and Kilmarnock boss Jimmy Calderwood.

Lennoxtown-born Sbragia is understood to have been high on their wanted list having been Sunderland caretaker in December 2008 after the departure of Roy Keane and leading the side to safety from relegation on the last day of the season before resigning.

Ex-Lincoln boss and former Celtic striker Chris Sutton was thought to be in the running and also fits the bill set out by Weir.

Sources close to former Celtic striker John Hartson, who had been in the running for the Wales job before the appointment of Gary Speed, had suggested last week that he was expecting to hear from the SPL club.

Mind you, he'd get the side battling again, that's for sure. It maybe wouldn't be our ideal choice, but I can think of a few worse!

If it is to be Stuart McCall then we should get behind him.

Makes you wonder what makes him 3rd choice right enough. Might be something really simple I suppose. To be fair Sbragia and MacDonald have very recent EPL experience. On the other hand he is clearly willing to work with a very small/no budget and I doubt he needs the job from a financial standpoint. However, I do feel that his staunch Rangers loyalties will mean he will never be fully accepted.

Terry Butcher had staunch Ibrox loyalties - until he became our manager. Maybe, if McCall does get the job, he'll get to see what it's like to be on the receiving end of all the shite other teams have had to endure over the years and it'll wake him up.

Terry Butcher had staunch Ibrox loyalties - until he became our manager. Maybe, if McCall does get the job, he'll get to see what it's like to be on the receiving end of all the shite other teams have had to endure over the years and it'll wake him up.

And like Butcher, with the exception of the CIS Cup final, he might have the balls to have a right good go at Celtic and Rangers...

if you google mccall, seems he's a hard worker with good ideas, but had trouble identifying his teams strongest 11.

His teams slide coincided with the clubs financial problems, and resultant cut backs. Does that show he cannot opperate on a reduced scale? or can he use that experience, learn from it and progress? Time will tell, if even the BBC have the right man.

I wonder who's spinning these stories to the media. What motive would McCall have? So perhaps someone within the club. Even then you've got to take it with a pinch of salt as very little has come from club up until now, so why is all of this information suddenly being released?

And like Butcher, with the exception of the CIS Cup final, he might have the balls to have a right good go at Celtic and Rangers...

Nevermind balls , with the players and finances at our disposal its a bit of managerial skill we need. Personally think Boyle has lost the plot on this one :thumbup:

Stuart McCalls dazzling CV :

Played for Rangers (whoopdefuckingdoo)

Was shite as Bradford manager

Er thats about it

Even at this late stage im hoping for a twist to this tale

Stuart McCall ... :wallbash:

If he's the best of a bad bunch who are willing to come to us after we managed their expectations then so be it.

Not my first choice by any matter of means but obviously the board consider him the best of all the applicants who haven't told us where to go.

If he is appointed over the next few days then we can only throw our support behind him. If it turns out to be a disaster then we can worry about that in the summer. We should have enough points already accumulated combined with another 10 or so from our remaining games to ensure our SPL status.

If he's the best of a bad bunch who are willing to come to us after we managed their expectations then so be it.

Not my first choice by any matter of means but obviously the board consider him the best of all the applicants who haven't told us where to go.

If he is appointed over the next few days then we can only throw our support behind him. If it turns out to be a disaster then we can worry about that in the summer. We should have enough points already accumulated combined with another 10 or so from our remaining games to ensure our SPL status.

Wholeheartedly agree. He's had a go at management in the lowest league in England and been pretty poor so I don't understand why he's even in the running.

I hope I'm proved wrong but I can see a bottom 3 finish this season if McCall gets the job.

Brown was offered a contract but wanted clauses built in which the club wouldn't agree to. Now the main reason folk like me and others stick up for Gannon is those who still feel the need to slate him even after all this time keep bringing him back up. If Broon wouldn't sign because of small print he's in the same boat as the previous incumbent.

Personal likes or dislikes, tales and titttle tattle won't make a case for either but what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If something seems unfair or not right then it's fair game to be commented on, thing is none of us know for sure what went on with Gannon but too many are prepared to simply believe what they're fed without question. If that's the case then fine but don't keep sniping and expect everyone to agree

Got any proof?

heard it from someone inside the club did you?

good for goose good for gander :thumbup:

anyway back on topic, Mcalls a wee ginger bawbag that nobody really liked apart from his own clubs supporters,

has got links in English footballs youth setup

Fits the bill better than and nice auld gentleman thats out to be everyones pal and knows some journeymen that want wages they might have got in the boom days

but aye , I'm not that enamored with him as the likely boss, but we're on the ropes as a club and its probably time to re-evaluate

time to prepare for the SPL 2 as in the predictament we find ourselves, and in a somewhat ironic sense, we'll probably find ourselves being victims to the restructuring thats getting pushed thru'