389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

Can I what this good experience is and who the good contacts specifically are?

He has been in the game for a long time, and had limited early sucess as a player and manager at Bradford. He knows the lower leagues and whats on offer. He is currently scouting for Norwich so he attends a lot of games and watches lots of players, so presumeably he has an eye for a decent one. I think he is worth a punt by Boyle

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His playing ability diesn't really come into it for me, and I'm not convinced it will for the players either. I can only go on the job done at Bradford and whilst there may be much more to it than I know of didn't he end up guiding them down to League 2 before walking away/coming to a mutual agreement? I have seen no evidence that he has contacts either. The press spoke up others in thus way but I can't recall McCall being included.

McCall doesn't inspire me with great confidence but he does come with some managerial experience, knowledge-of the English and Scottish games! Was a winner as a player and is presently working as Chief Scout for Norwich so would know a player or twO who is available!

You never know gems have been uncovered before and this could be a good match! I don't know what his style of play was with Bradford, defensive/attacking! Does he like to blood youngsters! Could it be his style would be better suited up here! Whatever, we need stability and he could easily provide that for us!

As I said a lot earlier in this thread, the likes of Lambert didn't get off to the best of his starts in his managerial career but look at him now.

Let's hope McCall has learned from his mistakes at Bradford. Would be interesting to hear the views of the Bradford fans. hopefully he is tactically aware. One thing for certain is that he would inject some passion and belief into the club. Despite playing for Rangers, I loved him as a player.

The fact when he covers the Rangers games on telly he still uses "We" when talking about them means he can f*k off!! Big Butcher had a big Career at Ibrox and never once did that after he left them!!

He'll probably bring in the flying pig as our goalkeeping coach as well for him to fleece the club in wages once again!!

Truly hope its not him!!

I think we'll struggle this time round to attract anyone of note.

I get the feeling that right now we probably have less to play with in terms of player budget than we've ever had. We haven't had any sales of note for a while and there are none on the horizon.

The way we are playing right now a bumper CIS cup final payday is highly unlikely so the semi final bump will be as good as it gets for a while.

If there's virtually zero budget available then we're looking for a different type of guy to come in.

Not many managers these days go for the Motherwell type of challenge

So we may have to aim a bit lower this time round

Now the main reason folk like me and others stick up for Gannon is those who still feel the need to slate him even after all this time keep bringing him back up.

Really? I've got no real desire to revisit the Gannon debate - I think we all had a good stab at it when he left. My perception is its actually the opposite and its those who remain most supportive of Jim Gannon who continue to talk him up, push his case and defend him, call it what you will.

I do find a bit ironic however that as Finlay and Steve Diggle picked up on earlier in the thread is that the criteria employed by the board appears heavily influenced by what Gannon was able to deliver and what he stated he hoped to deliver when he first came to MFC. He appears to have left his mark in that regard even if it didn't work out for him personally.

But time is marching on a bit now, nearly three weeks now, and I think we have to have some kind of appointment pretty soon be it a ship-steadying one until the end of the season if the calibre of the candidates and our criteria aren't matching up or by re-assessing existing candidates or the package that's being offered.

Couple of possibilites here. I think that the "foreign" man apparently interviewed on Sunday could still be Pat Fenlon. The Republic of Ireland is technically overseas and this could be a smokescreen by the club.

The other being could the club be waiting to see if George Burley gets the sack at Crystal Palace ? He would be a great appointment in my opinion. Would have the 'Well playing good attacking football, gives youth a chance and also would have good knowledge of the English lower league market, loans etc. As a bonus he has played for the club and would have a genuine feeling for the club. I think it would be the perfect fit for Motherwell and for Burley.

The problem is that even lower league English clubs will be able to pay their managers way above even what teams like Aberdeen and Hearts can pay.

George Burley? His stock fell badly after his stint at Hampden and in Southampton.

Thi is all just speculation and we don't know exactly what the club is up to - the way it should be. Still it makes life interesting!

Dave Penney being interviewed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ell/9314216.stm

Is he rated ?

That was posted yesterday, since then there's been stories that he ain't the man and we've gone back to Sbragia but he's said no again.

Sbragia Revisited

Today we have Stuart McCall in the race.

So looks like JB's the only one that really knows what's going on.

Starting to feel like we'll see the New Year in with GY in charge.

Really? I've got no real desire to revisit the Gannon debate - I think we all had a good stab at it when he left. My perception is its actually the opposite and its those who remain most supportive of Jim Gannon who continue to talk him up, push his case and defend him, call it what you will.

Wel it just shows how folk perceive things Andy, I certainly have no wish to continue the Gannon debate ad infinitum but the subject is continually brought up by folk having wee digs, I have to say I can't honestly recall someone starting up a pro-Gannon thread, from memory it's all been reactions in his defence which I reckon is fair dos.

Well if we went back to Sbragia then things are starting to whiff of desperation. Does not say much about the candidates that are left...

Stuart McCall does not inspire me at all, although most on here will give any Manager 100% backing for a few minutes at least :nod:

This phrase from the Sporting Life atricle interested me:

"But Motherwell could yet spring a surprise as there is one strong contender on their list whose identity remains a secret".

My preference would be for Pat Fenlon of those rumoured to still be in the running.

Looks like the new man won’t be in the hot seat anytime soon. Even if he does arrive today, it’s still not enough time to make any real difference in the game against Celtic. With another heavy defeat on the horizon it’s important that this is all sorted before the Hamilton game.

Looks like the new man won’t be in the hot seat anytime soon. Even if he does arrive today, it’s still not enough time to make any real difference in the game against Celtic. With another heavy defeat on the horizon it’s important that this is all sorted before the Hamilton game.

Young is on record (BBC) as saying he is prepared up to, and including, the Dundee game.

Well if we went back to Sbragia then things are starting to whiff of desperation. Does not say much about the candidates that are left...

Stuart McCall does not inspire me at all, although most on here will give any Manager 100% backing for a few minutes at least :wallbash:

This phrase from the Sporting Life atricle interested me:

"But Motherwell could yet spring a surprise as there is one strong contender on their list whose identity remains a secret".

My preference would be for Pat Fenlon of those rumoured to still be in the running.

Its the son of satan himself, McGhee is on his way back :nod:

I still think the board may yet pull another rabbit from the hat, although, like others, I get the feeling that finacially, things have never been tighter.

Just as well for us that we got 3 rounds in Europe with combined home crowd of circa 24,000 + UEFA money. Plus a CIS semi. Not forgetting the TV money from the Dundee cup tie. At least an extra £500k in revenue that we don't get in most "normal" seasons. Otherwise things would apparently be disastrous judging by statements on here. I am sure things are tight. Crowds are down, although on % terms not as much as other SPL clubs. If we have budgeted correctly and DO NOT deviate too much then we should be OK.

Derek Weir appears to be a steady hand and with his background is financially astute. Just what we need, well apart from a New Manager.