The Game On Tuesday Night

Taff

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last nights performance reminded me of the later weeks of Jim Gannon's reign. The Defense were hopeless (Craigan and Reynolds in particular) and got pulled about all over the shop. Both goals were a shambles. As usual we contive to beat ourselves!!

Gordon Young is not to blame but i cannot see him getting anywhere near the level of respect required for a manager. We need a new man in charge pronto to get a grip of the players before a slide sets in (fear it may have already started).

Another consequence of not having a manager is that referees like that little shit last night have nothing to fear - whilst we have had plenty bad ref's over the years i believe if the previous wank of a manager had still been in charge a few of those decisions would have gone our way!

Trying hard not to worry about our immediate future!!!!

1-2 flattered us last night. To be honest I didn't expect a great deal given our recent lay-off and opposition.

Solid performances from the 2 fullbacks. Lasley & Murphy carried the fight. Gow on a different level.

Randolph was less assured than usual, Humphrey & Blackman looked out of sorts.

Reynolds and Craigan in particular were terrible. Meanwhile, Jennings sending off pretty much summed up his night. By and large, he has been poor this season.

Fair enjoyed watching Templeton, he could be something a wee bit special. Hearts a stickon for a top 3 finish.

To be honest I didn't expect a great deal given our recent lay-off and opposition.

Sums it up for me, game came at a bad time for all sorts of reasons. Long layoff, no manager, opposition on a roll, poor crowd/atmosphere due to cold evening and TV coverage. The diddy referee was the icing on the cake, but can't really blame him for most of what was wrong last night.

I know we shouldn't be harsh on Young - however was really disappointed he didn't try something different last night. Gordon's served under several managers and seen us play more enterprising football at home, like we all have.

In a lot of cases an interim boss gets a reaction to tide a club through by changing things a wee bit.

We've had the discussion in-depth previously. Motherwell if they had played a different brand of football could be above Hearts. The points we've chucked away at home have been, for me, very frustrating.

We played St Johnstone off the park and won 4-0 and we've never played that formation, team or style of play since. simple question - Why?

The point was also made (but laughed out the park) about points vs playing good football.

I suppose this shows how quickly things can turn when the points stop accumulating. The 'fitba is pish' brigade have recruited a few new members in the last 24hrs. Which kinda proves my point - the football's more important ultimately than the points - unless you're in mortal danger - and I guess thankfully it's been a while since we've been close to being in bother.

Frustrating and puzzling times.

I know we shouldn't be harsh on Young - however was really disappointed he didn't try something different last night. Gordon's served under several managers and seen us play more enterprising football at home, like we all have.

The guy was flung into the job less than a week ago. There was no way he was going to risk changing the style of play. The players have been used to that formation and style for about a year now. he could have changed it and we could have been beat 5-0. Instead we narrowly lost to an in form Hearts and were unlucky not to get a draw.

The guy was flung into the job less than a week ago. There was no way he was going to risk changing the style of play. The players have been used to that formation and style for about a year now. he could have changed it and we could have been beat 5-0. Instead we narrowly lost to an in form Hearts and were unlucky not to get a draw.

Explain the 4-0 vs St Johnstone then

St Johnstone were gung ho and attacked us. Most teams who play us sit back and play the counter attack. Sometimes we cope with it sometimes we don't.

Hearts were well organised and made us resort to the long ball.

Your post suggests we tried something different to begin with, which i must have missed.

i think we predicted that the Jambos would be well organised so we set out to play the long ball from the off.

Our home form this season has been blighted by too much respect for the opposition. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Hamilton even Sellick - there for the taking

At Fir Park it's up to us to impose our game on them. i'm no McGhee fan - but by fuck he imposed his style on all and sundry

Your post suggests we tried something different to begin with, which i must have missed.

i think we predicted that the Jambos would be well organised so we set out to play the long ball from the off.

Our home form this season has been blighted by too much respect for the opposition. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Hamilton even Sellick - there for the taking

At Fir Park it's up to us to impose our game on them. i'm no McGhee fan - but by fuck he imposed his style on all and sundry

I would say for the first 5-10 minutes we tried to play the ball on the deck and also get down the channels. Hearts got wise to us and put pressure on the the ball every time we got it. This makes players panic and then launch it high up the pitch. Also add to that our central defence was a total shambles last night which helps no one.

Not gonna bother reading through the 10 pages but my take on last night:

Randolph was solid throughout. Not sure who was to blame for the goal (the bit on the line anyway) but other than that he did a fine job.

Hateley was good at left back, he mirrored Hammell; gave us an out ball and got forward when he could. Craigan was okay (a couple of sublime passes!) but my god Mark Reynolds was woeful last night. At fault for the first goal and just generally poor. The chance Hearts had in the 1st half, Reynolds just lets the boy waltz by him to get to the cross first. Really poor performance IMO.

I thought Lasley was excellent last night. Normally I think he's overrated but he was great last night, took his goal really well too. Jennings was solid as well. Murphy didn't do all that much IMO but worked hard throughout. Humphrey on the other hand was dire. The one time he beat his man he went back and tried to do it again. Thought he was really really poor last night.

Gow was superb. Aye he gives the ball away lots, but he's the only player in our team that can create anything through the middle. Just look at his assist.

I think Blackman's a class player, but again I thought he was shocking last night. His first touch was abysmal and did nothing all night.

All in all a frustrating performance. The quality is certainly there, but Hearts were too good for us defensively.

Our home form this season has been blighted by too much respect for the opposition. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Hamilton even Selleck - there for the taking

At Fir Park it's up to us to impose our game on them. i'm no McGee fan - but by fuck he imposed his style on all and sundry

I would never say that Broon didn't do a good job for Motherwell ,but the teams style of play particularly at home on numerous occasions left a lot to be desired .When he said he was staying last week i was happy ,but when he left the next day i was still happy if that makes sense. :whistling:

The guy was flung into the job less than a week ago. There was no way he was going to risk changing the style of play. The players have been used to that formation and style for about a year now.

I'd go along with that and thats what I'd have done if I'd been in Gordon Young's shoes. A saftey first stop gap strategy.

That said, the tactics were wrong as they have been all season. Too many wingers and not enough strikers. All too often Blackman was given no support.

the argument about results over performances beckons. Given the amount of points we've got this season, i would say the tactics have been ok. But if you play the same team at least 3 times a season then off course those tactics aint going to work every time. Our resources has probably dictated a lack of Plan B. We don't have the personnel to change.

Annoyingly it looks like the ref called both penalty decisions right. Though someone shoot Mark Reynolds please, height of nonsense at the first goal both on the line and what he did immediately before. Also Templeton should have been stopped before he got into box for 2nd, poor defending from Hately and someone else I can't be bothered looking close enough to see for sure. Maybe Jennings on a yellow being reluctant to take him out.

If only Gow could have got a 2nd assist when we broke clear before they got their pen, should have down better with that final ball. A huge what might have been game.