Bookies Investigate Red Card

Mic2904

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose for me the thing here is that whatever the outcome of this is it paints 1) Steve Jennings and 2) by association Motherwell FC and 3) by further association the SPL in an extremely bad light irrespective of who is innocent/guilty of what and if there is any case to answer.

I was angry last night about the way the game was refereed as I felt Hearts got everything going but in the cold light of morning the only decision that looked an absolute shocker was the red card. The penalty could have been given, the second one maybe should have been given, the tackle on Gow was fine and the free kick that led to Blackman getting booked came from the referee not watching. Incompetent maybe but corrupt certainly not. So I had calmed down and written it off as one of those nights.

Now we have a niggling possibility that a player in the SPL which I pay to watch each week (and I don't give a shit if its a MOtherwell player, a Celtic player or a St Mirren player or whatever) is corrupt or the referee was corrupt. It just makes the whole thing stink. And it makes you wonder. I don't know Steve Jennings or Stevie O'Reilly or their characteristics as human beings but I have heard nothing before to suggest either are nothing other than honest and it makes you wonder how deep this potentially is. I suspect proving anything on a one off incident will prove to be nigh on an impossibility and nothing much will happen and if that is the case they just don't do it again. Which leaves the seeds of doubt.

Just as a matter of interest I've had a look at Jennings' red cards on Soccerbase. One in the last minute of the first half (Tranmere v Bristol R), three in the last few minutes of 2nd halves (Motherwell v Hearts, Odense v Motherwell and Southend v Tranmere). Proves nothing but interesting.

Jennings was booked for his first challenge, and other players particularly Hearts players got away with worst. The referee's inept performance, and his clear dislike of Motherwell, last night made it obvious he was gonna send off a Motherwell player. I even turned to my mate and said "as soon as he gets the chance a Well players is off"

It was that obvious and you know what I'm only raging that I never got on to the bookies myself

That ref had totally lost the place last night. And a whole load of his decisions were decidedly dodgy. I hope the match delegates were taking note. Based on his performance how on earth could the refs justify their strike because of criticism?

Let's just stop this right now, it had absolutely nothing to do with jenno or any other motherwell player. If jennings had wanted to get sent off he would have punched the referee square in the pus and not tapped him on the arm

wouldn't that be considered a wee bit too obvious ? :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't be too worried yet. As I understand it, gambling sites run similar software to credit card sites which flag up unusual activity. In many cases, unusual activity doesn't mean anything criminal was going on.

I think it has to be a little deeper than you suggest. I doubt the bookies would publicise such a routine and automatic action. By going to the press they are effectively highlighting unfair and illegitimate football matches in one of their key markets - hardly going to bring the punters in is it?

Folks,

As we've told the media, there's very little we can say now other than confirming we've been informed of the investigation by the SPL.

It wouldn't be appropriate to comment publically until the club are made aware of the full facts of the matter. When we are, we'll say something more substantial.

On the 'appeal' - the decision was made early this morning (before anything on the above was known incidentally) to not appeal the card on the basis of what we were informed the card was for (foul and abusive language).

Sorry for not updating quicker - as you can imagine, it's been a hectic time for everyone at Fir Park what with the continued manager search, the after match of an SPL game and other projects that are ongoing.

Cheers

correct thing to do over these allegations

but I'm get the feeling our fans are getting kind of sick off MFC just getting cheated over and over again and rolling over to the authorities in public, even tho' in this case it may not be worth fighting the red card sometimes it creates more togetherness , when the club, takes the action the fans want.

I'm sure Mr Boyle remembers the adulation when he took on Cardiff

correct thing to do over these allegations

but I'm get the feeling our fans are getting kind of sick off MFC just getting cheated over and over again and rolling over to the authorities in public, even tho' in this case it may not be worth fighting the red card sometimes it creates more togetherness , when the club, takes the action the fans want.

I'm sure Mr Boyle remembers the adulation when he took on Cardiff

Agree 100% Brazilian. Again we sit down and take the shit. A straight red card for foul and abusive language you must be having a total laugh. You hear crap every single game. Kyle told the ef on numerous occaisons last night to fuck off. The ref even clearly swore at Jenno and we sit back and take the fuckin bum rush again.

An appeal for Jenno might show some support in the Bookies fiasco also....... no appeal to me makes him look guilty.

I'm only going by what I've read in this thread but am I right in saying that there were two bets (Liverpool and Manchester) and that they staked £500? If so, and based on the 10/1 that has been quoted here, then I don't see a problem. £500 is buttons to a professional gambler and if 10/1 really was on offer then it represents good value - Craigan, Jennings and Blackman were all on yellows and the referee had shown that he was an incompetent, impetuous buffoon. The new account aspect doesn't ring any alarm bells either - the Pro's are forever opening new accounts because bookies restrict the betting limits of successful accounts to the point that they're of no use to them.

If there's anything wrong here, it's that the bookie offered such a ridiculous price, not that people saw the value and took it.

Assuming that I've read the thread correctly.

Spot on, I'm always opening new accounts to take advantage of a price on the footy that I can't get elsewhere and I'm certainly not a professional gambler (£50 tops is my limit).

I reckon (and hope!!) this is a non-story as the article that somebody else posted said that irregular / suspicious doesn't mean fraudulent, etc etc.

Maybe it has only been raised as being irregular or suspicious as some twat has taken the bet, or offered up the 10/1 odds, and he's trying to cover his own arse for losing his employer £5k.

Incidentally, was there a market on nobody getting sent off and, if so, how much was gambled on that. For all we know the bookies could've lifted a ton of cash on that.....

So the club decide not to appeal because they are told the red card was for foul and abusive language. Fine if that was the case but tv evidence clearly shows the referee wasn't reacting at all until he was touched and then he brandished the card. After the game he says it was for foul language leaving us unable to provide evidence in our defence. Bastard has got us stitched up like a kipper.

I think it has to be a little deeper than you suggest. I doubt the bookies would publicise such a routine and automatic action. By going to the press they are effectively highlighting unfair and illegitimate football matches in one of their key markets - hardly going to bring the punters in is it?
I have seen a few stories about irregular betting patterns over the past few years, but I don't recall any ever being established as fraud - certainly not in a football match.

It still sounds to me like a few mates saw how crap the ref was and jumped at the 10/1 odds on a red card during the game.

I'd hate to be wrong, though. As others have said, it's the last thing the Scottish game needs right now.

An appeal for Jenno might show some support in the Bookies fiasco also....... no appeal to me makes him look guilty.

That's what I thought Sieb, even if they weren't confident of an appeal succeeding (that spelling doesn't look right but fuck it), at least it shows they are backing Jennings' integrity (word of the season in Scotland).

I had a wee scout of the odds on my preferred online bookies, Paddypower, before I came to the game last night. I didn't fancy a bet on the result cos I really wasn't sure, but Paddy's were offering 8/1 pre-match on a red card, and that price stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Didn't put anything on cos I don't really have gambling money right now, but with the ref strike and them wanting more respect, I expected the ref to 'stamp his authority' which in a game involving a team of physical cloggers like Hearts, equalled a good chance of a red.

Basically, if I had the money I would have been all over it.

I also quite fancied the OG first goal at 22/1 :lol:

In short, people would have seen the ludicrous odds being offered and made their own conclusions, especially if a UK-wide audience is watching.

I think we can't rush to conclusions over Stevie O Reilly, yes he was over zealous and made some strange decisions, and his demeanour was a bit uppity, but are we really going down the Celtic route and saying he's got to be a cheat?! Likewise with Jennings. Get a grip.

I missed the game on wed but like everyone else I've had a look at the incident and can't believe that Jennings deliberatly tried to get himself sent off, so until something else is produced which proves otherwise I'm happy to support him.

While I understand that the club cannot say too much at the moment, I'd like to think that they could at least issue a statement along the lines of we've spoken to the player regarding this and he has assured us that he had no involement in the issue so we are happy to back him 100% at the moment.

So the club decide not to appeal because they are told the red card was for foul and abusive language. Fine if that was the case but tv evidence clearly shows the referee wasn't reacting at all until he was touched and then he brandished the card. After the game he says it was for foul language leaving us unable to provide evidence in our defence. Bastard has got us stitched up like a kipper.

I have to say i agree with this, Jennings had already been booked, so even if he did mouth off at the ref it should have been a second booking and then the Red card. The ref does not react at all until Jennings has gone past him and brushed his shoulder with his hand, after that he could not get the card out of his pocket quick enough. It was nearly a Paulo Di Canio moment.

But i think we have the old "refs making the report fit their story" scenario, so its a straight red for abusive language, his word against the players and no hope of an appeal, it's Bullshit

I have to say i agree with this, Jennings had already been booked, so even if he did mouth off at the ref it should have been a second booking and then the Red card. The ref does not react at all until Jennings has gone past him and brushed his shoulder with his hand, after that he could not get the card out of his pocket quick enough. It was nearly a Paulo Di Canio moment.

But i think we have the old "refs making the report fit their story" scenario, so its a straight red for abusive language, his word against the players and no hope of an appeal, it's Bullshit

1) As somebody has already posted, foul and abusive language merits a straight red, whether the player has been booked or not.

2) Jennings has come out publicly and said he swore at the ref and told him to stop cheating us, so your conspiracy of the referee sending Jennings off for no reason and then lying about it to "fit his story" is tosh.

The ref may not be a cheat but he's certainly a liar. He didn't send Jenno off for his language as the picturres clearly show him taking offence at Jeno's 'manhandling' of him. He's done the same as McDonald and changed his reason to cover his back.

That said he might yet be proved to be a cheat after this investigation. What annoys me is SSN are reporting that Jenno is under suspicion and that useless fucking article seems to be beyond reproach. He has more of a case to answer than Jenno IMO

The decision not to appeal the red card is worse than the decision to give Jennings a straight red in the first place!!

When you think of the shocking challenges that have rightly been given reds and then the club have the audacity to appeal them and they actually get off with it!! Liam Millers challenge on Jim O'Brien last season being a key example. You will never see a better example of a red card, yet they appealed it and he got of with it!!

Why do we always appear happy to accept this shite? Why aren't we rattling cages of this injustice? The baw is on the slates to be honest for fitba for me.

Poor show from Motherwell in my opinion. Really praying for snow now for Saturday and either I'm definately not going now.

Sorry but I don't agree. The ref has said it was for 'foul and abusive language', and I've no reason not to beileve him, no matter how 'the pictures look'.

The ref can't send a player off for F&A Language and then tell the player to "get to fuck" twice. If he has sent him off for this(still think it's for touching him) then surely the referee must be taken to task for his own F&A Language

Not too happy with the process of the investigation. Throwing all that suspicion out there to the press before any of the governing bodies or police decide on a course action. Not great.

re the appeal - We roll over and have our belly tickled far too easily. Maybe things are too hectic at the club for anyone to watch the footage of O Reilly telling jenno to get to fuck.