We're In Line For A Uefa Place Just Now........

mfcsuperwell

Having a look at the teams we would be up against in the first qualifying round: UEFA_Europa_League_2009%E2%80%9310

I fancy this mob: San_Marino A.C._Juvenes/Dogana :lol:

Sitting in the San Marino sun watching the 'Well (hopefully) stick 5 or 6 past some farmers/schoolteachers/postmen.

Dont anyone get their hopes up for a trip to the sunshine of the Med even if we do qualify. The first two qualifying rounds are always drawn in pools so that you dont have far to travel!!!

We would be in the Northern Pool if we qualify and last year that looked like this:

Belgium

Denmark

England

Estonia

Faroe Islands

Finland

Iceland

Ireland

Latvia

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Netherlands

Northern Ireland

Norway

Scotland

Sweden

Wales

Here is how the split looks on a map:

post-517-1241785524_thumb.png

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was meant to be goin on a trek across Europe this summer, but due to a change of circumstances, I'm not able to go. Just remembered there that I have 2 flights booked on the 1st of July from Glasgow to Paris! They could come in very handy :lol:

Dont anyone get their hopes up for a trip to the sunshine of the Med even if we do qualify. The first two qualifying rounds are always drawn in pools so that you dont have far to travel!!!

We would be in the Northern Pool if we qualify and last year that looked like this:

Belgium

Denmark

England

Estonia

Faroe Islands

Finland

Iceland

Ireland

Latvia

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Netherlands

Northern Ireland

Norway

Scotland

Sweden

Wales

Here is how the split looks on a map:

post-517-1241785524_thumb.png

I may be wrong but I was pretty sure that the regionalised early rounds have been scrapped this year with the draw only coming from 2 pots, one for seeds and the other for unseeded teams.

I may be wrong but I was pretty sure that the regionalised early rounds have been scrapped this year with the draw only coming from 2 pots, one for seeds and the other for unseeded teams.

Would make the draw more interesting but I dont see how the original drivers for having the pools will have changed. They wanted to avoid part timers having to travel from places like Malta to the North of Finland with little or no fans and little or no revenue generated for the clubs to cover costs. There is also no centralised TV deal to cover the qualifying rounds so probably no money from that either aside from the little you might get for local rights. I remember reports in the 90's about how Europe almost bankrupted one of the welsh clubs!!

So, sorry if i've missed this.

Has Scotland been confirmed as the 3rd nation for the Uefa cup spot in the fairplay shinanigans.

BUT

We need to wait until the end of the season before we are guaranteed a place, depends on how many bookings etc we get in the last 4 games ???

So, sorry if i've missed this.

Has Scotland been confirmed as the 3rd nation for the Uefa cup spot in the fairplay shinanigans.

its been reported on the BBC website that Scotland is the 3rd nation but I still havent seen this confirmed on any UEFA site.

Anyone seen an offical press release on this?

its been reported on the BBC website that Scotland is the 3rd nation but I still havent seen this confirmed on any UEFA site.

Being reported on Sky news as confirmed. also showing video of our dodgy park.

:lol:

I'd love a trip to Rio for the UEFA Cup.

just like in old school champman when you would make Brazil part of Uefa so you could have more than 3 foreigners in your team :lol:

Ha, now thats gonna be a problem cos I assume the pitch was to be relaid over the june/july period.........

I assume the game would be played at either Airdrie, broadwood or Hamilton. Didn't Man City play their first European home game at Bradford because their pitch had been relayed after a concert?

edit:

quick google brings this up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Cup_2008–09

Note 9: Manchester City played their home game at Oakwell Stadium, home of Barnsley, because the pitch at their home ground needed to be relaid after a Bon Jovi concert.[12]

ITV.com say.......

Fair play to Scotland

Published: 08/05/2009

Motherwell are in line for a place in the Europa League qualifying rounds after UEFA confirmed Scotland had earned a sixth European place via the Fair Play League.

A UEFA spokesman confirmed that Scotland are in the top three of the new table, which will be published in full later on Friday afternoon.

It is understood Motherwell are currently heading the race for the extra place courtesy of their position in Scotland's Fair Play table, which is compiled by the Scottish Football Association. Hibernian and St Mirren are also in the running for the European spot.

The SFA take into account a range of criteria, including yellow and red cards, crowd behaviour, the actions of club officials and match reports by SPL delegates.

The table is not made public but the SFA are expected to keep the relevant clubs informed of their progress in the final few weeks of the season.

The club who top the table at the end of the season will take part in the first qualifying round of the new Europa League on July 2/9.

Falkirk have already qualified for the Europa League after reaching the Homecoming Scottish Cup final, while Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen are battling for the two spots available through the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

Celtic and Rangers will take part in the Champions League, with the SPL champions going straight into the group stages.

Norway and Denmark are the other countries to gain an extra European place via UEFA's system of ranking countries for fair play.

Manchester City qualified for the UEFA Cup via the same route this season.

That's right, I seem to remember Flow making the point that the pitch wouldn't be ready for early July. Maybe any Europa League qualifiers (should we make it of course) would have to be played at Airdrie or somewhere similar.

It's now on the official 'Well site.

That's right, I seem to remember Flow making the point that the pitch wouldn't be ready for early July. Maybe any Europa League qualifiers (should we make it of course) would have to be played at Airdrie or somewhere similar.

I think we might need to play the match at Hampden as I cant think of anywhere else big enough if we get someone like Gandzasar Kapan in the draw :lol::lol::lol:

The SFA take into account a range of criteria, including yellow and red cards, crowd behaviour, the actions of club officials and match reports by SPL delegates.

Knowing us, we'll be on the verge of getting into Europe up until the final whistle goes against Kilmarnock and an army of neds charges onto the field for the "traditional end of season pitch invasion". :blush:

The next two delegates for Motherwell games are....

Tommy McLean and Gerry Collins. 'Mon Tommy, Saint Mirren start with 0 on Saturday and go backwards. You know it makes sense.

I think we should really lay on a fair play spread over the next few games. Go out our way, having the players shake every visiting player and fans hand before and after a game, put out a red carpet in the tunnel... use fancy soap in the changing rooms... invite the managers to share a scotch and cigar :blush:

How many points will that get us eh?

Any takers for MCarthy day.... celebrating all things MCarthy... Dont want to be accused of MCarythism right enough...

Comedic effect lowered slightly by the spelling of McCarthy, but a good idea nonetheless.

Everyone can turn up wearing the football shirt of a country they weren't born or raised in. I tax Swaziland.