We're In Line For A Uefa Place Just Now........

mfcsuperwell

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

clutching at straws a bit there are ye no' mate? europe through the back door could hardly be described as immense. Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit of a rid neck?

Don't get me wrong, I'll take it, but it's hardly worth crawing aboot is it?

Well if we got in through the league we wouldn't be Scotland's first representative in the Europa League... :whistling:

clutching at straws a bit there are ye no' mate? europe through the back door could hardly be described as immense. Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit of a rid neck?

Don't get me wrong, I'll take it, but it's hardly worth crawing aboot is it?

It's not the best way to get into Europe, but I'll still happily take it.

yeah i forgot how immense it is having to play extra ties because we weren't good enough to qualify properly. definitely an achievement that is

Just as much as qualifying for the UEFA Cup cause we're not good enough to qualify for the Champions League....

yeah i forgot how immense it is having to play extra ties because we weren't good enough to qualify properly. definitely an achievement that is

We would always need to play extra qualifying ties now though in the new format, whats the problem?

You know what's bizarre to me, the online Wiki website which details the UEFA Cup/Europa Cup/Fair Play league had been updated yesterday to reflect the news. It's since been updated further to reflect how things stood on Thursday, i.e. no decision as to which countries had got the places. UEFA aint said anything in print that we can look at, but the news yesterday suggests clearly Scotland have the place. I think that, until we see it in black and white in an official UEFA document, people are going to question things!

Totally agree with your fears - why nothing on the UEFA site yet?

your point is becoming less credible with every post.

Not really! Doesn't matter how we qualify for Europe it won't change the fact we were last Scottish Team to play in the UEFA Cup and will be the first (if we qualify) to play in the Europa League. Where does my point change?

correct me if I am wrong (which I frequently am) but entering via fairplay league puts us into the first qualifying round, as opposed to the third if we got in through league position.

Thats correct but we entered the first round proper last year after finishing 3rd but even if we had finished 3rd this year we would still have to play an extra qualifying tie as opposed to last year and if we had finished runner up in the Scottish cup we would have had to play two extra ties. To be honest I dont see what the problem is playing extra games against some decent sides where we would hopefully have a chance of going through.

Not really! Doesn't matter how we qualify for Europe it won't change the fact we were last Scottish Team to play in the UEFA Cup and will be the first (if we qualify) to play in the Europa League.

That is the only 100% correct statement on this thread.

that it will be "fucking immense" to qualify in the manner you described.

it is far from "fucking immense".

In 100 years time (ok maybe not that long but still...) in a pop quiz under Sports a question could be "Who was the last Scottish team to play in the UEFA Cup, and the first to play in the UEFA Europa League"

The answer would be Motherwell. The peeps writing the questions won't care how or why they did it, the fans of Motherwell (apart from you...maybe) won't care how we did it but the fact of the matter is the answer would be Motherwell.

Also, re-read what I said, not once did I say it was immense to qualify the way we can, but the scenario I described above is immense. Just like I think Hibs (I think it is Hibs) go on about them being the first Scottish side to play in Europe (you never hear them mentioned that was because a few clubs refused the invitation).

fucking immense! :whistling:

Well still waiting to find out where I, or anyone else thought it was fucking immense that we qualify through the back door? (although the whole competition in the back door to Europe)

I'll give you a while although I think I have only really posted in the last two or three pages so won't take long...

we're not the first team to get in like this and we won't be the last. our discpline has been good for the last few seasons and we shouldn't be above taking a wee pat on the head for it when there are teams full of dirty bastards like killie and hearts kicking teams all over the place every week. it is so much better to get in through beating qots, hearts, ict and dunfermline?

after watching ballack, drogba and terry the other night there is still a long way to go in promoting fair play.

as far it being "fucking immense" being in european competition two seasons in a row will be great, whether or not any other scottish team has or hasn't played in the same competition or what it's called has no effect good or bad on what it means for us.

would anyone be less happy about qualifying for europe if it was still called the uefa cup? naw.

would it matter a jot if falkirk played a game before us? naw.

just typical hot air from 1984? aye.

The thing thats worrying me is that IF we do manage to qualify and the first game is 2nd July, then what will our squad look like?

with the possibility of no smith, hughes, mclean or klimpl, and with the transfer window only opening on the 1st July ( i think) Mcghee is un;ike;y to have brought anyone in, our squad will be very small and very depleated.

how funny would it be if we get in and hibs don't... screw the top six :(
I know you have been on holiday, mate, but I posted the exact same thing about 6 pages ago. Please ban yourself from posting until you have caught up :(

But aye, it would be great, and makes a further mockery of the split.

So, Clarky booked today (and it was a seriously daft challenge, all things considering) but that was it.

Also, you would like to think that with St Mirren battling they would pick up some bookings, also with Hibs playing better players they might be sucked into tackles too.

Man, this is scraping the barrell for a successful season aint it!!

All I got last night was 'witty' :lol: remarks about taking the back door to Europe etc.

'And what's your team's chances of Europe (Hibs)?'

Nae reply.

They might all have a go, but they wouldn't be complaining if it was them!

Mon the Fair Play League. :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...into-touch.html

Motherwell striker David Clarkson's honeymoon may be kicked into touch

As John Lennon pointed out, life is what happens while you're busy making other plans. This time last year David Clarkson was poised to perform the role of best man at the wedding of his cousin, St Mirren midfielder Stephen O'Donnell, only to receive a surprise call from George Burley offering the striker the opportunity to make a scoring debut for Scotland in Prague.

To miss out on one wedding is unfortunate but to miss out on two would be calamitous for the 23-year-old, who may instead be forced to forego a honeymoon.

Motherwell are currently in pole position to claim a slot in the inaugural Europa League, due to their high placement in the SFA's Fair Play league.

Should they qualify for the competition their first tie will take place on July 2, meaning they will restart pre-season training on June 23.

Clarkson was their only player cautioned on Saturday, although manager Mark McGhee joked afterwards that he had attempted to earn a red card in order to have a longer summer break.

It is no laughing matter for the player, however. "I'm due to get married next month and our honeymoon has been booked," he said. "Natalie and I are supposed to be heading for Mauritius and Dubai and I'll need to wear a crash helmet if I need to tell her that it's cancelled.

"However, even if the worst comes to the worst I'm sure we'll manage to get away somewhere."

O'Donnell, who will be an usher at that wedding, should have such problems. Sidelined for nine months with a knee injury, he came off the bench at the weekend to score with a spectacular volley from Billy Mehmet's cross but did not even bother to celebrate his strike.

Motherwell were already three goals to the good. Jamie Murphy had headed home the opener from Steven Hammell's cross, Clarkson tapped in the rebound after Stephen Hughes' drive had smacked the inside of a post and Clarkson sealed the outcome with a diving header from Paul Quinn's inviting delivery.

All I got last night was 'witty' :lol: remarks about taking the back door to Europe etc.

'And what's your team's chances of Europe (Hibs)?'

Nae reply.

They might all have a go, but they wouldn't be complaining if it was them!

Mon the Fair Play League. :lol:

It wasn't a back door when Hibs went into the Intertoto last year was it?? :lol: