We're In Line For A Uefa Place Just Now........

mfcsuperwell

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But for same reason, surely, as they know other criteria are used why should they should surprise at where other clubs are in relation to the overall standings.

They're surprised because there's no rhyme nor reason for it. Why Hibs? Why not Rangers, Killie, Dundee Utd etc...

That table's mince. If you look at it, the whole table is based on simply awarding 1 point for a yellow and 2 for a red and as we all know by now there's more to it than that.
Aye, the ESPN table is nothing to do with the Fair Play League. It's just a tally of reds and yellows like the old Sunday Post "Crime Count" tables.

I still cannot quite understand how Hibs are supposedly our nearest rivals for this fair play spot.

I mean they are something like 20 yellow cards behind us. If they get in ahead of us then they should change the name to the "make it up as you go along league".

Maybe Hibs' fans are sitting asking why we are being quoted while playing under a suspended fine for call offs and playing games on a tattie field that just about every oppostion club moaned about through the winter ?

Maybe Hibs' fans are sitting asking why we are being quoted while playing under a suspended fine for call offs and playing games on a tattie field that just about every oppostion club moaned about through the winter ?

I don't think that would have anything to do with FairPlay.

so, since we have a W1 D1 L1 in our last 3 games since finding out we might get the Fair Play place, does this mean that we're gonna start as a team of nancy boys next season just to make sure we're top of the table for a place should Scotland get it again?!?

We humped St Mirren doing exactly that.

Motherwell are famous for not taking any shit, and I hope to god we get that back, and pronto (after the next 2 games of course!)

I know as do we all by now that there are other criteria which goes towards the final standings.

But let us assume for just a minute that Hibs get the Fair play spot and yet have collected 20 more yellow cards this season. I don't know if it is a simple arithmetical counting of points or are their weightings applied. Cos there damn well should be.

I cannot believe that their fans have been any better or worse than ours and as we are only seperated by 1 point in the SPL table they surely cannot be that much ahead on points based on attacking play.

Anyway best to ensure we avoid any further bookings or at least match Hibs then we should be in pole position come the end of the season.

I am all for conspiracy theories so what about this as an idea?

Maybe the Scottish Fair Play rules are purposefully difficult to understand so that they can just pick who they like. After all if it was just based on red/yellow it would be totally transparent and when have the football authorities ever thought that was a good idea.

Hibs are being mentioned as contenders yet nobody knows why. Maybe it is simply because Hibs are currently the highest placed team most likely to miss out on Europe.

As it stands Aberdeen, D Utd and Hearts still have a good chance at third and fourth place so no need to mention them,for now, as contenders for Fair Play. Lets say Aberdeen are the one's who miss out and finish 5th. Could it be that suddenly on the last day of the season one of their fan's performs an act of Noble Peace Prize Winning proportions and they rocket to the top of the Fair Play league. The point is that nobody can question it because nobody knows what is going on.

Far fetched, but you just never know.

I am all for conspiracy theories so what about this as an idea?

Maybe the Scottish Fair Play rules are purposefully difficult to understand so that they can just pick who they like......

Good post. As far as I'm aware, and I might be wrong, official observers award teams points based on 5 criteria and thats in itself subjective. Once that has been done they then deduct points accrued for red and yellow cards.

So on that basis its quite possible that a team like Hamilton or Kilmarnock could be announced as winners at the very last minute.

In short no-one knows.

Good post. As far as I'm aware, and I might be wrong, official observers award teams points based on 5 criteria and thats in itself subjective. Once that has been done they then deduct points accrued for red and yellow cards.

So on that basis its quite possible that a team like Hamilton or Kilmarnock could be announced as winners at the very last minute.

In short no-one knows.

Fair enough Dave, but why go to the bother of publishing the SPL "Fair Play" tables periodically showing team places so far then totally disregard it at the finish . On the latest one we have seen, we are up there on the same points as Celtic ,and as Celtic will already be in the Champions league then we are front runners. Our points total isn't just a card count ( if I remember correctly, we have more yellows/ or reds than some but our points total is superior.

As Eufa have stated Scotland has a Fair Play placing in the Europa League so on that basis alone , our "Fair Play" champion will get the place and not the highest placed Team not already in Europe.

So as long as we continue with trying to play the best attacking football we can, and show respect towards officials and opponents and our crowds DO NOT do the end of season invasion then we will have the place.

That was Hearts fans mate. There no-where near us in the Fairplay league though.

Apparently a few Hibs fans ran on the pitch as well when they scored:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...h-invasion.html

'It was hairy stuff, because I knew right then that there were Hibs fans on the pitch at that point, too, and we were stuck in the middle".

From the ref's mouth... all good :D

Disappointlingly, Clarkson and Klimpl (looked like dissent from where I was sitting which is pretty needless when you are in the last minute of the game and your up 3-0) booked today. No bookings for St. Mirren. That must bring the Fair Play ratings that wee bit closer :rolleyes:

Still 2 yellows and a red ahead of St Midden in terms of card count but I would hope given recent results and goals scored we are ahead of them on other criteria.

It would take a bloodbath at Fir park next week for them to overtake is in the disciplinary stakes. That said I would consider resting Klimpl and clarky as they seem to pick up bookings on a weekly basis. Klimpl was doing so well today - but then as sure as night follows day picked up his customary card - for talking back to the ref when we are 3-0 up and a few minutes to go. I do rate him - but he has to keep a lid on it!

I must be the only one who isn't excited about the prospect of Europe this way.

Fair enough if the lure of Europe would be a way of attracting a better calibre of player, but that didn't happen last year. Any money that will be made (which probably won't be much) from a two legged tie against a team from the back of beyond won't be invested in the squad.

I also worry a lack of pre-season will hamper the long term league aspirations. We did very well to get ourselves out the shite we were in at Christmas.

If 99% of fans who are excited about Europe via this route are being honest with themselves, they're only interested in a swally in a foreign land. Nothing more. For the sake of that, I'd rather we were better prepared and focused for the season ahead.

It will still be a pre season for us, instead of playing friendlies in which no one is really trying, we'll be playing competitive games. No big loss, infact, it could see us fly out the blocks and get points on the board before fatigue sets in.

I must be the only one who isn't excited about the prospect of Europe this way.

Nope. I couldn't give a monkey's about it and I find all the card counting tedious. Not a criticism, it's understandable that folk are excited about a wee jolly.

Aye, I might be more excited if there was any chance of being able to make one of the Euro ties, but I won't be gutted if we don't make it through the Fair Play. I'd be just as happy to sign two or three new players and get a solid preseason under our belt.

I'm also of a mind that if it happens it'll be fantastic but if not then I won't be gutted in the same manner as if someone had denied us a place by beating us in the last game or whatever. How much of that is down to the fact I'm unlikely to get to the away leg of our first tie in the comepetition (he said positively) I don't know.

Whether its good for the club if we do get in remains to be seen. I had always been against the idea of going into the Intertoto because of the early start but I suppose Hibs have shown that you can start earlier and still have a half-decent season - I mean they seem more on form now at the close of the season against top six teams than they did at part earlier in the season.

I also think its a factor that, I think it was Neil who posted it earlier in the thread, that the round we would go into is only a week different from that which we would have done finishing 4th or 5th. Had that been the case and I don't think when we started would even have come into many folks thinking but because its through the fair play route some more moral questions have muddied the waters a bit and the pros and cons examined more closely.

I think we completely underestimated MyPa. Outplayed them just two weeks later. we should've made an earlier start and got more matches in beforehand. Don't think we'll make that mistake again surely.