Kilmarnock Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

Right, we're now sitting level with Rangers in the SPL, and this weekend sees us visit Kilmarnock, whilst Rangers play Celtic in the old firm game. I'm not sure if us winning means that Celtic win the league at Ibrox, and I don't really care if does to be honest. It means we'll go three clear of Rangers before they visit Fir Park the following weekend.

I may be getting head of myself here, but could you imagine going into the split with a six point lead over Rangers? Wishful thinking, eh? :evilgrin:

Anyway, with the various suspensions we've suffered, who exactly do we have back for this game? By my reckoning we have Hutchinson & Clancy back, don't we?

We'll hopefully have Craigan back from injury as well.

I'm not sure if us winning means that Celtic win the league at Ibrox, and I don't really care if does to be honest.

Haven't done the maths myself, but according to BBC: "Well must also beat Kilmarnock at Rugby Park next weekend to prevent Celtic being able to clinch the title away to Rangers the following day."

24 points left for grabs just now and Celtic are 21 points ahead. so if they beat rangers next week then they are 24 points ahead of rangers with only 21 left up for grabs. However if we beat killie then we will still be 21 points behind celtic, so technically Celtic will still not have clinched the title.

Pretty cool (although virtually impossible) if the position was that we could win the league and Rangers couldn't. I hope we are facing a deflated Cup Final losing Killie rather than one that has won the Cup. Top six pretty much gone especially if Hearts win tomorrow. 2-1 Well with Ojamaa scoring both.

Is it possible that we could go into the Rangers game at FP whereby a Rangers win would clinch the title for Celtic?

Yeah, if we beat Killie and Celtic beat Rangers next weekend, then the only team that can catch Celtic is us. Meaning if Rangers take any points off us at all, it's all over and they have clinched the league for Celtic.

Rangers.....lose and put us clear in 2nd. Don't lose and clinch the league for Celtic.

smile.gif

Big decisions for McCall to make. Carswell and Humphrey will keep their places I'd imagine. Cummins is still a young lad so I wouldn't be suprised to see him make way(after a promising showing today he'll get plenty more oppurtunity's no doubt). However Page who was many's MOTM today is 22 and out of contract at the end of the season. If he's dropped I would see it as highly unfair on the lad and a sure sign he's on his way out. Dropping him would destroy the confidence he visibly gained througout today's performance and I feel he more than merits another start next week. Never put a foot wrong. He's never really had a fair crack of the whip and thought he took his chance today with both hands.

However with Hutch, Clancy and possibly Craigan back it's going to be a difficult task for McCall next week to pick his defensive pairing. Hutch and Clancy were in pretty good form themselves in recent weeks. Given the importance of next weeks game some might also see it as a risk to stick with Page.

However I'd say Page should be in possesion of one of the shirts and it should be him and one other next week...

• Like 1

Big decisions for McCall to make. Carswell and Humphrey will keep their places I'd imagine. Cummins is still a young lad so I wouldn't be suprised to see him make way(after a promising showing today he'll get plenty more oppurtunity's no doubt). However Page who was many's MOTM today is 22 and out of contract at the end of the season. If he's dropped I would see it as highly unfair on the lad and a sure sign he's on his way out. Dropping him would destroy the confidence he visibly gained througout today's performance and I feel he more than merits another start next week. Never put a foot wrong. He's never really had a fair crack of the whip and thought he took his chance today with both hands.

However with Hutch, Clancy and possibly Craigan back it's going to be a difficult task for McCall next week to pick his defensive pairing. Hutch and Clancy were in pretty good form themselves in recent weeks. Given the importance of next weeks game some might also see it as a risk to stick with Page.

However I'd say Page should be in possesion of one of the shirts and it should be him and one other next week...

The thing is McCall has said that when one of the back 2 drop out, they do have to fight for their place. We seen it when Hutch got injured and Clancy came in. Hutch wasn't an automatic pick once he was fit (He did come back when Craggs got injured, or was is suspended?)

I think Hutch and Page could be a sign of things to come. I think Craggs will get one more season, just for him to take part in our European campaign but I can see a centre half combo of Hutch/Page/Clancy next season.

What about Craigan in some form of FM Player/Coach role.

evilgrin.gif

The Own Goals Coach? Just kidding, but if McCall is having his budget cut this summer, you need to look at what you're getting for each wage. And you have to figure Craigan will be among the higher earners while sitting on the bench.

Doesn't make sense really..

24 points left for grabs just now and Celtic are 21 points ahead. so if they beat rangers next week then they are 24 points ahead of rangers with only 21 left up for grabs. However if we beat killie then we will still be 21 points behind celtic, so technically Celtic will still not have clinched the title.

Should have mentioned that, of course, after the OF game and our killie game, it doesn't matter a toss what we do since celtic just need one more point, so it's not really like Rangers will hand the league to Celtic if they beat us at Fir Park.

If Saunders recovers from his injury he will be well in the mix to be a 1st choice centre half next season, while Clancy is surely a shoe-in for a new contract.

Next week, 3 points are a must at Rugby Park as they have little to play for. Unbelievable that we haven't scored against them this season.

Hutch and Clancy to come in for the two lads that deputised so well.

2-0 'Well.

The Own Goals Coach? Just kidding, but if McCall is having his budget cut this summer, you need to look at what you're getting for each wage. And you have to figure Craigan will be among the higher earners while sitting on the bench.

Doesn't make sense really..

If Craigan wants another year playing football with us then he'll have to sit down with McCall and come to some sort of understanding that he simply cannot expect the same level of money he got when he was a regular starter every week.

If he's happy enough to accept his role within the squad, and the wage that reflects that then I'm more than happy to see him sign on for another year.

Cummins, Page, Halsman etc can't be expected to simply pick up the mantle and compete at the level we surely will be next season. They need to come through gradually, and in order to do that we could do worse than have an experienced head like Craggs there to help them.

• Like 1

If Craigan wants another year playing football with us then he'll have to sit down with McCall and come to some sort of understanding that he simply cannot expect the same level of money he got when he was a regular starter every week.

If he's happy enough to accept his role within the squad, and the wage that reflects that then I'm more than happy to see him sign on for another year.

Cummins, Page, Halsman etc can't be expected to simply pick up the mantle and compete at the level we surely will be next season. They need to come through gradually, and in order to do that we could do worse than have an experienced head like Craggs there to help them.

I would argue that in Clancy, Hutchinson and Saunders, we already have three centre backs ahead of him in the pecking order and Page would be a perfectly adequate fourth choice.

I like Craigan as an individual but offering him a contract would seem dat if we can keep the four I've mentioned.

Obviously this depends on Saunders getting back to full fitness..

That's the point right there. Craigan has slipped quickly down the pecking order but his experience, even if it's not on the field, isn't necessarily something I'd happily allow to disappear.

That's the point right there. Craigan has slipped quickly down the pecking order but his experience, even if it's not on the field, isn't necessarily something I'd happily allow to disappear.

That's exactly how I feel. Once the rest of the guys have had another season of playing together I'd be more comfortable with Craigan going. I take your views on board Melvin, and there isn't anything I disagree with to be honest, but I just have a gut feeling that another season with Craggs in the squad will be of benefit to the younger lads coming through.

This will prove especially true if we see one or two of our more influential players sold off, such as Randolph in the summer.

According to the SFA website Timothy Clancy and Shaun Hutchinson are both free from suspension next weekend but Keith Lasley has one game to serve. Less well publicised on this board is that Mahamadou Sissoko is suspended for one SPL game.

I'd expect that Tim Clancy will be available to play and would hope that Crags and Shaun Hutchinson are fit and available too. If possible I'd go with Clancy & Hutchinson as first picks with Chris Humphrey and Staurt Carswell retaining their places in the midfield.