2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

if the offer hasn't come in yet will it ever? the league is on the slide to the extent where stevie may and billy mckay can score 17 by january and no one is interested.

why sign a contract to wait for a bid coming in when he could be a free agent in the summer which makes him more attractive to clubs down south?

Yet, a team with a good history of selling youths to down south did it again, while being a league below ours.

Hearts have just sold an untried youngster for £150k and Falkirk got a similar amount for a young player. St. Johnstone reportedly rejected £500k for May.

Recently we have been shit at generating income from players and this has got to change. Whilst it’s good to still have Hutch until the end of the season I would have been happier if we had got some much needed income from his transfer.

Interesting statement and personally I think its largely down to the media and fans constantly talking the scottish game down and I find that frustrating.

There's more to it than that of course but yes, that's true and has been for years. A player with an English first or second division side is always worth considerably more than a player of exactly the same calibre with a Scottish Premiership side. Scots Fans' and media's increasing obsession with the English Premiership is causing our game no end of damage.

The Scottish media are the worst culprits. The English overhype their game to a ridiculous degree, but ours seems to revel in cynicism and misery.

Guys like Lionel Ainsworth are doing a better job of talking it up.

Must admit I've absolutely no time whatsoever for English top flight football. If I can't watch the Well I'd rather watch another senior game, junior game or even amateur match. I can't recall the last time I watched an English Premiership match on the box apart from the odd snippet on the news or whatever. I wouldn't give the EPL a single penny. Its doing great damage to the game world wide. If Scots fans spent more cash on our own clubs, our game would be the stronger for that and clubs could bring in better players.

• Like 1

I just watched the end of MOTD there and off the top of my head we had Charlie Adam bagging a brace against the Champions, as well as Snodgrass, Marshall, Boruc, Wanyama and Naismith all playing a major part for their teams. They all signed from the SPL so they must be looking here.

I travel down to watch Coventry in league one a few times a year. Motherwell would easily beat any team in that league plus 90% if the English championship, yet the English can sell these 2 divisions to the world.

Its all hype though. Plenty empty seats in premiership and championship matches every week. Aside from the top section of the championship (leicester, QPR, Burnley etc) I dont think that league is really that good.

1391298591[/url]' post='405358']

Must admit I've absolutely no time whatsoever for English top flight football. If I can't watch the Well I'd rather watch another senior game, junior game or even amateur match. I can't recall the last time I watched an English Premiership match on the box apart from the odd snippet on the news or whatever. I wouldn't give the EPL a single penny. Its doing great damage to the game world wide. If Scots fans spent more cash on our own clubs, our game would be the stronger for that and clubs could bring in better players.

All very admirable, but, until the match day experience is comparable here to that of down South and further beyond, I doubt there will be any change.

I love the Championship in England. Plenty big name teams with big stadiums and generally big crowds. It has to be said the football being played, in general, is awful!

The Motherwell team of the last few years could finish top half of that league easy.

Agree with this, I'm the same. I believe a large problem with Scottish Football is what I call the migrant Old Firm fan. They claim to be a fan of one or the other of the two, but actually know fuck all about them or any Scottish teams. They in fact tend to watch Sky Sports coverage of English football more frequently than Scottish football and eventually form a mind set fondness (at the least) or support of one of the four successful clubs (at that particular time). Once their chosen club stutters they become fond/support another.

At work the other day I was being slagged by Celtic fans for supporting a 'wee' team. At this I tongue-in-cheek told them I now supported Manchester City and as such now supported a better team than theirs and now in my eyes it was their team who were the wee diddy club. I told them that's how easy it is to select a club to support and anyone can do that. I was making the point that it's much harder (but more satisfying) to support your local team, through good and bad, regardless of size or previous success. It seems that it's a foreign concept to many Scottish football fans.

• Like 1

Intersting "Free Agent XI" from The Guardian today.

If McCall is still looking for a Hollis replacement, Craig Gordon still available (although not necessarily fit).

Has he not been helping out coaching-wise with someone? When he's not on Sportscene, that is. Sure he is/was helping Ian Murray at Dumbarton, actually. The fact he's not taken up a player-coach role with them would suggests he's still not fit, or that he's even possibly done as a player. Sad, as he was world class when he was at his peak and fit.

Has he not been helping out coaching-wise with someone? When he's not on Sportscene, that is. Sure he is/was helping Ian Murray at Dumbarton, actually. The fact he's not taken up a player-coach role with them would suggests he's still not fit, or that he's even possibly done as a player. Sad, as he was world class when he was at his peak and fit.

Is it not widely believed that it's something to do with his insurance that Gordon isn't playing?

I understood that to be the case.

Ie if he signs for Dumbarton for £300 a week, he loses out on an insurance payout for injury ending his career??

World football is at tipping point and in my opinion I give it about 10 years or maybe less before we see an elite league system where the richest clubs across the world compete while the rest of us feed of the scraps.

Its already started in England where the gap between the top 6 is huge compared to the rest. This gap will continue to increase and its the same in every other country in Europe.

Also if Rangers go bust again then I can see Celtic trying to fast track the Euro league idea as they are really feeling the impact of a non competitive league as is shown in their half empty stadium every other week.

Money rules over everything.

i can't see it.

the big clubs and their fans are used to being successful, every team that goes into a euro league can't win it or challenge so i don't see it being appealing for big clubs to put themselves into a position where they might be scrambling about mid table every season.

• Like 1

World football is at tipping point and in my opinion I give it about 10 years or maybe less before we see an elite league system where the richest clubs across the world compete while the rest of us feed of the scraps.

I'd agree with that, really. You can see it in the major leagues across Europe that there is such a gulf in quality between the have and have nots. They're trundling away through their league games against vastly inferior teams in an attempt to keep form for their European ties.

We'll see teams challenge to break that for a season or two, but ultimately are unable to sustain it. Valencia and Malaga managed it for a season or two in Spain, Atletico currently giving it a go, Leverkusen are up and down in Germany, Dortmund struggling a bit, even Inter in Italy collapsed after their European cup win, Villa in England, Newcastle and others previously, Spurs challenging the status quo just now... But the gulf between those that are challenging and those that are consistenly there is widening every season, it seems.

I think the European league is a certainty, at some point. I'd quite happilly see it happen, tbh, let the rest of us get on with football we give a fuck about as that bloated monstrosity stumbles along.

• 2 weeks later...