2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Surely Wylde would have been paid off by Aberdeen. He wouldn't just walk away from a well paid contract unless he had already arranged a similar deal elsewhere.

I'd imagine he would have agreed some sort of compensation with the club. He still had two and a half years to go on his contract, which could've been worth well over 100k. The fact he wasn't getting a game and had another club willing to take him on means I doubt he would've drove too hard a bargain though.

As has been said on this board before the Dundee United PR machine is amazing. Average young players being talked up to such an extent that other clubs believe the hype and will pay the stupid money. Goodwillie is a prime example of that.

Agree with that.

Although the one thing that has always surprised me is that somewhat lack of hype for Mackay-Steven - think on his game he is one of the best United have had in a long long time.

Also, do think that treated the right way, Gauld looks like he could be a world beater and probably deserving of some of the hype (although it's still a little OTT)

As has been said on this board before the Dundee United PR machine is amazing. Average young players being talked up to such an extent that other clubs believe the hype and will pay the stupid money. Goodwillie is a prime example of that.

Wouldn't say so that was solely down to United 'PR'. I'd be amazed if clubs scouting players bought them on the basis of 'PR' as well. The season before he left he scored a lot of goals, made a lot of goals and from memory, scored a lot of 'big' goals. We were completely in control at Tannadice in the cup until he pulled that goal from absolutely nothing.

FWIW, I thought he was a good player, but having seen him a couple of times since I've been back up the road, he looks completely disinterested in playing.

I'd imagine United do well at punting their players down south because they have a good record of doing so. They can point to Russell, Dixon, Conway and even going back a bit, Hunt, who have all gone down south and done pretty well.

The biggest success we've had down south is McCormack, I'd say? Clarkson, Murphy, Jennings, Porter and Quinn have all gone down with fairly limited success so far.

I dunno, I just think it might be perception, as you say with a bit of PR, coupled with whats gone before. Having a large newspaper chock full of Arabs probably doesn't hurt though.

We have Kerr and Carswell who can both do a job there. Lawson to fill in for Carswell if he has to move across. Finances being what they are I wouldnt think we will be moving to cover this position.

Edit: I realise neither is as good as Ramsden in that position but thats life.

Yeah Dundee Utd director basically said that Goodwillie has been a huge disappointment for them.

Goodwillie scored 6 goals in 11 starts for Dundee Utd during his loan spell.

He wasn't worth the money they were forking out because of the players on much lower wages that they had brought through their youth system but Goodwillie would still be a good player for most teams on ability.

Goodwillie scored 6 goals in 11 starts for Dundee Utd during his loan spell.

He wasn't worth the money they were forking out because of the players on much lower wages that they had brought through their youth system but Goodwillie would still be a good player for most teams on ability.

6 in 22 appearances, 3 against Patrick in the cup. Hes been rotten.

I play far too much football manager etc but would love to get Declan Rudd up on loan... 1st team football is what he needs, so he could be more affordable than other good options and would be a stand out player.

When I played it Chris Humphrey used to get 30 assists a season and 10 goals. During the game his little amber dot didn't run to the corner flag and make an arse of the subsequent cross.

• Like 1

I play far too much football manager etc but would love to get Declan Rudd up on loan... 1st team football is what he needs, so he could be more affordable than other good options and would be a stand out player.

Sure he is on loan to a team in the championship at the moment.

Wikipedia has him on loan to Preston North End.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Declan_Rudd

Ah my mistake he is, could also recommend Jonathan Bond of Watford but not sure they would be as willing to loan him out as Norwich would have been Rudd.

Wouldn't mind seeing young centre mid Tonny Trindade de Vilhena of Feyenoord on loan.

My ideal lineup for Motherwell would be....

Tony Watt (celtic)

Shane Ferguson (Newcastle) ------ Ruben Rochina (Blackburn) ------- Raheem Sterling (Liverpool)

Tonny Vilhenna (Feyenoord) ---------------- Nicky Law(Rangers)

Harry Toffolo (Norwich) -- Lewis Dunk (Brighton) -- Shaun Hutchinson -- Todd Kane (Chelsea)

Alex Smithies (Huddersfield)

*edit you may have to stretch you page for this*