Where Do We Go From Here?

MelvinBragg

Bilate was being touted to Motherwell - then they found out what his wage demands were and they fall "far outside" anything we could afford.

So, you're wrong again.

do you think mario bilate is getting paid more than lasley, sutton, hammell and mcmanus? the guy was without a club and was previously playing for sparta rotterdam in the dutch second divsion.

we have £1.5m to spend on player wages. if we can't afford his wages it's because we have chosen to pay too much to too many mediocre players.

on the topic of dundee united they seem to be doing quite well recruiting players at the moment, possibly due to darren jackson having spent some time working as an agent prior to joining their coaching staff, they also seem to have good contacts in holland.

do you think mario bilate is getting paid more than lasley, sutton, hammell and mcmanus? the guy was without a club and was previously playing for sparta rotterdam in the dutch second divsion.

we have £1.5m to spend on player wages. if we can't afford his wages it's because we have chosen to pay too much to too many mediocre players.

on the topic of dundee united they seem to be doing quite well recruiting players at the moment, possibly due to darren jackson having spent some time working as an agent prior to joining their coaching staff, they also seem to have good contacts in holland.

year to date 2013:

Dundee United have revealed they made a profit of over £300,000 in the last financial year.

In the 12 months to the end of June, wages dropped from £3.823 million to £3.262m — but, crucially, the team remains on course for another top-six finish in the Premiership.

Wages now account for 61% of the total turnover, a figure well within what is regarded as being financially prudent

and to think they then went on good cup runs, earning more cash

Am I right in saying United had their debt paid off last season by some sort of business group . Its up to the club who gets what wages and with gates of 3700 like yesterday that's a balancing act to be sure. Amazing what comes out after a couple of defeats

Am I right in saying United had their debt paid off last season by some sort of business group . Its up to the club who gets what wages and with gates of 3700 like yesterday that's a balancing act to be sure. Amazing what comes out after a couple of defeats

They just shifted the debt from thr bank yo the business folk. They still owe it to the group of business people. That said, given their recent player sales I would imagine its fully paid off now.

Stuart Mac is going to have to get some reinforcements during the window and that means moving players out. Ainsworth who we might get a nominal fee for,McHugh,Cummins and the boy Ferguson should be punted and get 2 players in a right sided attacker who will actually give a feck and a midfielder to play alongside Carswell as unfortunately Lasley's winding down now and would be better utilised coming off the bench to shore things up should we be leading in games. We need action now or our pish start is going to continue. :mellow:

Stuart Mac is going to have to get some reinforcements during the window and that means moving players out. Ainsworth who we might get a nominal fee for,McHugh,Cummins and the boy Ferguson should be punted and get 2 players in a right sided attacker who will actually give a feck and a midfielder to play alongside Carswell as unfortunately Lasley's winding down now and would be better utilised coming off the bench to shore things up should we be leading in games. We need action now or our pish start is going to continue. :mellow:

Och gies peace.

I disagree, for a club thats living on fine margins, we need a longer term view and a solid youth infrastructure should be central to our business model. Yet we seemingly don't have a left back at under 20 level. That's not McCalls fault but who is ensuring the future of the club?

I agree with you about a long term model built on a youth system and the lack of an Under 20 left back and am not in into a blame game, but surely someone is in overall charge of the club's footballing side. If there isn't one single person then there certainly should be. I find it absolutely incredible that we don't seem to have an under 20 left back, unless we have and he's injured.

I hope the young boy Ferguson isn't reading this as if he is, he will be completely shattered by a comment like that.

He was put into an unfortunate situation that was never going to go well. A young player thrown right in at the deep end, out of position, left exposed.

• Like 1

I hope the young boy Ferguson isn't reading this as if he is, he will be completely shattered by a comment like that.

He was put into an unfortunate situation that was never going to go well. A young player thrown right in at the deep end, out of position, left exposed.

Agree totally Punk. To talk of punting a boy after one performance when for me he was led like a lamb to the slaughter by his team mates at times is just ridiculous.

I would agree though that McHugh and Cummins leaving wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Like 1

he'll be more cut up by everyone saying he was slaughtered than one idiot who want to punt him,

have a think about it,

he was playing out of position, he got caught out a few times being wrong footed against the touchline, like any one would have.

any slips he did make were recovered, nothing he did, or didn't do, led to us being roundly beaten

he did make some great interventions to stop it being more embarassing.

if you have to slaughter players, move on and slaughter the stalwarts who were totally honking and let everyone down much more than a kid on his full debut covering out of position

Neither currently nor in the foreseeable future do we have any players with a transfer value. For a 'selling' club that is a particularly worrying financial situation to be in having no 'assets'.

Presently there is a significant dearth of quality in our first team with virtually nothing coming through our youth system. That does not auger well on the playing front.

It is extremely naive to believe that because our poor start has happened before that everything will be alright because that was what happened then.That is the past. It's history .

We are on the cusp of a 'perfect storm' the consequences of which don't bare thinking about. Simply ignoring the glaring deficiencies in the current management and playing structure will only lead to one outcome.

Neither currently nor in the foreseeable future do we have any players with a transfer value. For a 'selling' club that is a particularly worrying financial situation to be in having no 'assets'.

Presently there is a significant dearth of quality in our first team with virtually nothing coming through our youth system. That does not auger well on the playing front.

It is extremely naive to believe that because our poor start has happened before that everything will be alright because that was what happened then.That is the past. It's history .

We are on the cusp of a 'perfect storm' the consequences of which don't bare thinking about. Simply ignoring the glaring deficiencies in the current management and playing structure will only lead to one outcome.

Most European clubs set up all their youth teams to play exactly the same system as the first team.

This is the reason when injuries occur, these teams draft someone in seamlessly without major team restructuring.

Can anyone who watches the u20's and youth teams shed light on formations etc? or are they all independent with different tactics?

The main gripe I have, is SM/KB don't appear to learn from previous mistakes.

Why do they keep doing the same things over and over again and somehow expect a different outcome.

Only a few games in, but I sense hard times ahead I'm afraid!

any slips he did make were recovered, nothing he did, or didn't do, led to us being roundly beaten

Did the first goal not come from a throw in, which we conceded due to him failing to control a pass to him? I could be wrong as I have not seen the highlights and going from memory at the game.

Most European clubs set up all their youth teams to play exactly the same system as the first team.

This is the reason when injuries occur, these teams draft someone in seamlessly without major team restructuring.

Can anyone who watches the u20's and youth teams shed light on formations etc? or are they all independent with different tactics?

The main gripe I have, is SM/KB don't appear to learn from previous mistakes.

Why do they keep doing the same things over and over again and somehow expect a different outcome.

Only a few games in, but I sense hard times ahead I'm afraid!

How do you know most european teams do that? So when Barcelona have an injury they draft in a direct replacement form their youth team?

The things they have been doing have had us finish in the top three positions for the last 3 years in a row. when was the last time a motherwell team did that?

Did the first goal not come from a throw in, which we conceded due to him failing to control a pass to him? I could be wrong as I have not seen the highlights and going from memory at the game.

Having watched one half back, yeah it could be argued that that move that led to the goal but started from almost the half way line, and then which passed within 4 metres of nearly every one of our midfield and then a few defenders stemmed from the throw in.

I'm not up on coaching etc and phases of play, but I'm not sure when reviewing the goal, and even allowing for as basic an error of mis-control with his wrong foot which that was, it's what I'd be focussing on when roasting them for allowing the goal. But yes .

Again I'm going from memory because I've no intention of watching it back, but it seemed like a matter of seconds between the throw-in being taken and the ball hitting the net, and the throw-in was caused because we had a nervous right-footed player playing at left-back. Arguably that's McCalls fault but as far as I can tell we didn't have an ideal solution available to us.

How do you know most european teams do that? So when Barcelona have an injury they draft in a direct replacement form their youth team?

The things they have been doing have had us finish in the top three positions for the last 3 years in a row. when was the last time a motherwell team did that?

Barcelona run a pyramid system where every team under their control (which incidentally is massive) teach kids not only positional skills but also formations and play patterns.

So in short, players within the squad can rotate positions or if a few injuries create issues, second team players step in with no variation or disruption to tactics.

By the time young kids have honed their skills and formations and worked through the age groups, the pyramid system promotes them through the tiers leaving the best available to FC Barcelona.

It's well run and keeps an ever ending supply of fresh talent at their finger tips.

The way forward for us all is simple really... Trust the manager and support the guys he puts on the pitch.

Three sleeps on from Saturday I'm able to get over the frustrations of this player or that formation. The truth is we have a manager that most clubs would be happy to have, and yes the club is going through a sticky patch, but at the end of the day McCall knows his resources better than all of us and I'm sure his understanding of the game is too most the time.

• Like 1

The way forward for us all is simple really... Trust the manager and support the guys he puts on the pitch.

Three sleeps on from Saturday I'm able to get over the frustrations of this player or that formation. The truth is we have a manager that most clubs would be happy to have, and yes the club is going through a sticky patch, but at the end of the day McCall knows his resources better than all of us and I'm sure his understanding of the game is too most the time.

Bingo! Doesn't stop many one here 'cause they have a season book/pay at the gate surmising they know better. The bulk of team formations posted on pre & post match threads are laughable in the extreme.

Bingo! Doesn't stop many one here 'cause they have a season book/pay at the gate surmising they know better. The bulk of team formations posted on pre & post match threads are laughable in the extreme.

I agree some of the formations straight out of Football Manager can be a bit ridiculous but there's no way that anyone can describe out formation and shape on Saturday as anything other than laughable.

A young defender out of position at left back with either no protection or a striker trying to play in front of him. Lasley, Carswell and Law playing in the middle of the park but not getting close to the opposition with Lasley and Law caught ahead of the play most of the time. Sutton being far too isolated when long hopeful balls were punted up to him.

The annoying thing is that most of these issues were there at times last season and nothing has been done to rectify them so I don't think McCall can be exempt from criticism - resources are tight but there's enough there to at least get a balanced squad.

On a plus note, going along on Saturday has completely justified my decision not to renew my season ticket following the Stjarnan debacle.

Lasley, Carswell and Law playing in the middle of the park but not getting close to the opposition with Lasley and Law caught ahead of the play most of the time. Sutton being far too isolated when long hopeful balls were punted up to him.

Do you really think that was McCall's instructions to the midfield?