2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Friend of mine knows Ziggy Gordon, he is definitely leaving Hamilton but not staying in Scotland, Nottingham Forest supposedly interested in him as well clubs over in Poland whom he wants to represent at international level due to his mother being Polish. To be fair wouldnt want anyone from an utterly dreadful accies side this season!

He had a shocker at the weekend against Aberdeen. He was well thought of by the Accies fans a few years ago but think he has regressed since they have played him at centre half, rather than right back.

When we beat Accies 4-0 at Fir Park last season, I thought Gordon was outstanding in the first half then absolutely bowfin in the second half.

Any talk of letting Hammell go is off for me. This chat seems to be forever recycled on this thread but he deserves another year for me. Our team is far better with than without him and even if he is getting on a bit, he isn't exactly easy to replace as Francis-Angol, Straker and Chalmers seem to have proved.

• Like 1

Rumours of Bannigan going to Aberdeen and Osman attracting interest from other Premiership clubs. I think McGovern is Easter Road bound. Almost every decent Premiership out of contract player has either signed a pre contract or is attracting the attention of several other clubs. I doubt if Ryan Dow would have much to offer us - never impressed me.

Stevie Hammell's pace is going and his defensive capabilities are not improving. At his age he'll be looking for a 2 year deal. As some others have said I suspect we'll target some lower league players from south of the border.

As others have said I think- I don't think we will see much movement this summer. If I was to hedge my bets I think we will:

David Clarkson (One year option) - Release

David Ferguson - Renew

Wes Fletcher - Release

Stevie Hammell - Renew

Keith Lasley - Renew

Jack Leitch - Renew

Scott McDonald (One year option) - Renew

James McFadden - Release

Stephen McManus - Renew

Craig Moore - Release

Craig Samson - Renew

I could see a striker coming in and possibly a goalie. But other than that I don't think we will bring in unless we lose someone to an actual transfer.

As others have said I think- I don't think we will see much movement this summer. If I was to hedge my bets I think we will:

David Clarkson (One year option) - Release

David Ferguson - Renew

Wes Fletcher - Release

Stevie Hammell - Renew

Keith Lasley - Renew

Jack Leitch - Renew

Scott McDonald (One year option) - Renew

James McFadden - Release

Stephen McManus - Renew

Craig Moore - Release

Craig Samson - Renew

I could see a striker coming in and possibly a goalie. But other than that I don't think we will bring in unless we lose someone to an actual transfer.

I'd agree with all of that with the possible exception of Fletcher. If he's fit I have a sneaky feeling that with a run in the team he could do well. Admittedly my sneaky feeling isn't based on a whole lot.

A few other thoughts.

David Ferguson: has he done enough to warrant a contract extension? I genuinely don't know much about his progress this year.

Jack Leitch: he'll be 21 in July. Has he done enough to earn a new deal? I would tend to say no.

Ben Hall: whats happening with his contract offer?

Louis Moult: will he still be with us next season?

Marvin Johnson: ditto

In general we'll need a new keeper either first choice or back up. We may need to replace Lasley and Hammell depending on whether they move on. We'll need at least another central midfielder to replace Gomis/Lasley Do we need an attacking midfielder?

As I see it, and without taking into account transfers out, we'll be looking at a goalie, left back, and at least one central midfielder.

David Ferguson will likely be released, he hasnt made any impression on loan at airdrie and now been relegared to unused sub with them! Seen comments regarding him and Mackin at Airdrie and the general consensus is they are miles away from being ready to play for us. Mackin may get another year to prove himself however. Moult still has 2 years left so can see him staying depending on whether we receive quite a big money offer for him.

So we've got non insiders reckoning on release on the strength of a youth loan at our part time neighbours? Deary me... The kids mentioned work daily at Motherwell & under the terms of the loan are available for development fixtures so not quite getting 'the general consensus' unless you're taking one or two observations from Airdire over that of our own management, backroom & academy staff?

• Like 1

I think Ferguson, Moore and Leitch are shoe ins to be released to be honest.

Leitch was unlucky, both with his major injury last year and being dealt a bad hand by Baraclough with the signing/immediate inclusion of Jake Taylor. But as someone approaching 21 who didn't play a minute of first team action between September and March, I'd say the writing is on the wall for him. If he gets a chance and makes an impression post split then maybe that could change, but I doubt it.

Moore was always one that I thought would flourish for us, I watched the 20s a lot in the season he was scoring for fun and watching him and Bob McHugh playing in that team, I thought there was a marked difference from McHugh scoring goals because he was more developed than most of the opposition and Moore scoring goals and generally having a bit about him. An injury when it happened did really cost him and he was another who was dealt a bad hand by Baraclough signing strikers like Fletcher, Robinson and Clarkson who have had little impact. However, that said, with him being 22 this year and being too old to play for 20s, along with the purse strings supposedly being tightened, I don't McGhee offering him anything. He has scored a goal every other game at Ayr roughly, right enough.

I know he has only had three starts for the first team, but when I've seen Ferguson play at the top level he has looked really out of his depth. He has since been ousted in the young defender pecking order by both Hall and Watt. I personally see no benefit to keeping him on.

• Like 2