2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

I think we all know it's likely but I thought we'd have got another season out him and sell him the end of next season when he still has a year left on his contract.

It's now definite we are looking to ship him out in the summer, if its came from a lapsed comment from Craigan.

Quite disappointed unless we're talking a £1m.

I was speaking to an ex player who still has ties at an English championship team and they were raving about him suggesting that they would be sending their Scottish scout to monitor him. I'm not convinced he's good enough for the championship but they are watching him that's for sure

Played in the right position and given good service he is good enough for the Championship. But please not until the season after next. :biggrin:

I think we all know it's likely but I thought we'd have got another season out him and sell him the end of next season when he still has a year left on his contract.

It's now definite we are looking to ship him out in the summer, if its came from a lapsed comment from Craigan.

You can just imagine an English Chamionship side saying..."Yes he has got potential but he's only played in the Scots Premiership which is below the standard of our second division.......Ok we'll push the boat out, take a risk and offer you £150,000 to be paid in 5 installments, and with add ons.".

£1m is a drop in the ocean to a championship side, even for a development player!! The money they get from their league and TV deals is staggering.

The fact Marvin is an young "English" player as well, pulls some weight.

We're always going on about how we don't talk up our players enough and, therefore, don't get adequate fees for them, if any at all.

Now the management are doing exactly that, and there are complaints about it.

This is exactly what is needed.

I was speaking to an ex player who still has ties at an English championship team and they were raving about him suggesting that they would be sending their Scottish scout to monitor him. I'm not convinced he's good enough for the championship but they are watching him that's for sure

There is a whole league of average at-best Championship teams, that are not much better than the top 4 or 5 spfl teams.

I think Marvin is still developing his confidence and skills, evident in that its only in the latest stretch of games he has been the talent we hoped for. Regardless how developed he currently may be, he is better than league 1 standard; majority of them are awful (route 1, pub stuff), and I can see him transition to Championship just now easily.

There is a whole league of average at-best Championship teams, that are not much better than the top 4 or 5 spfl teams.

I think Marvin is still developing his confidence and skills, evident in that its only in the latest stretch of games he has been the talent we hoped for. Regardless how developed he currently may be, he is better than league 1 standard; majority of them are awful (route 1, pub stuff), and I can see him transition to Championship just now easily.

Aberdeen are in the spfl league title race with a squad that are predominantly English league 1 rejects. Johnson was (and still is)'only proven at conference level down south. Hearts signed wigans (league one) most unpopular player / booboy who walked straight in to their team. I think Johnson has the attributes to be a really good player but don't understimate the quality and depth down south.

No chance.

Look at guys like Griffiths, Rooney, Church and Moult who didn't do much down south but are banging them in up here.

• Like 1

No chance.

Look at guys like Griffiths, Rooney, Church and Moult who didn't do much down south but are banging them in up here.

Scottish players' failures down south has more to do with their character than their talent. Granted, recent parachute payment agreements hve meant a large sum of money flowing to talent in the top Championship teams, but watch a few games with teams in the bottom third and you'll see your fair share of mediocrity.

I spent a few years going to Portman Road to watch Ipswich after they had been relegated, and some matches were reminiscent of our 80s spell in the First Division.

Don't think there's anything lapsed about it. I would be surprised if anyone doing media hasn't been briefed to big our prime sellable assets up. I think its more likely to be planned and rather astute by a seasoned broadcaster. We've been guilty of not doing putting them on the radar in the past.

In Saturday's post match and today's manager of the month, McGhee has dropped a little "I didn't think Marvin would be here past Christmas". Highlighting he's too good for us and we'll consider offers. Craigan is also reminding scouts and decision makers of his quality and availability.

Let's see if we can get a few coups like Dundee Utd have managed, their transfer dealings have kept them from going under.

I think it's one of those things where (for me) it only really becomes an issue if we are undervaluing players or seemingly shoving them out the door to the first bidder. We've got some good players here so in a way it's a nice change to hear them being genuinely talked up with a focus on their positive attributes and what they bring to/offer a team.

For the most part everyone knows the score; we want to establish ourselves as a club who can bring through our own players and also develop the players we bring in and make them better with a view to moving them on in a way that will benefit both parties.

There's a fine line between selling the club in a broader sense through rightly pointing out the successful development of the individual players and coming across as desperate. For me if we're playing well and players are evidently in form then there's no harm in reinforcing that (within reason).

It's notable to me that McGhee has been talking up the structure of the club and the coaching staff a lot. He's basically advertising the club in no uncertain terms to players etc saying "we will make you better and here's how we'll do it because here's the evidence and here's how we are doing it."

Put it this way it's more refreshing to me to hear us talk up our players in a positive way than listen to the whole "we're punching above our weight" chat.

• Like 2

Let's see if we can get a few coups like Dundee Utd have managed, their transfer dealings have kept them from going under.

Yes, but how much of the transfer income did the club, as opposed to third parties, actually see? The secretive deals were nowhere near as beneficial as many would have you believe.

[quote name="weeyin" post="468120" timestamp="1459804

I spent a few years going to Portman Road to watch Ipswich after they had been relegated, and some matches were reminiscent of our 80s spell in the First Division.

Ipswich 15 years ago isn't relevant to the English lower leagues now.

The high number of foreign players is pushing quality British players down the leagues. The standard in Scotland has collapsed in the last few years and there are a good half dozen Championship teams at least who would win our league no problem. We would think all our Christmases had come at once if we signed any regular starter from Preston or Fulham.

Right now I'd say we are about bottom of League One to middle of League Two level.

This is the same Marvin Johnson that pretty much everyone on here was calling on to get dropped or at least subbed a good 20 minutes earlier than he was a few months back. How times change.

As for Dundee Utd. I have no issue with the scouting/youth setup getting a kickback of a sale if they were instrumental in finding and cultivating the talent. Regardless of how many got their pockets lined, the money earned from a host of players kept the wolf from the door.

As for Dundee Utd. I have no issue with the scouting/youth setup getting a kickback of a sale if they were instrumental in finding and cultivating the talent. Regardless of how many got their pockets lined, the money earned from a host of players kept the wolf from the door.

As far as I'm led to believe, the still anonymous investors who generously paid off United's debts were given a substantial slice of the transfer income. United were, and may still be, paying out 6 figure sums in interest every year.

No chance.

In 'look, I can use a really small samples to prove my point', I'll play: Daryl Murphy, James Beattie, Calvin Zola and Shefki Kuqi.

In 'look, I can use a really small samples to prove my point', I'll play: Daryl Murphy, James Beattie, Calvin Zola and Shefki Kuqi.

Beattie and Kuqi were done when they came up here. Zola was a diddy in both countries. Murphy is a strange one but he's maybe better suited to the style of the Championship than playing for a team on the front foot.

Considering how small our budget is, how much of it has been wasted over the past few years and the managers who have done the recruiting I don't see how anyone could argue we are Championship level.

Looking at where spl players are coming from and going to gives a good indicator of the strength of the league.