Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Out of curiosity something else, on what basis?

I could probably tell you dozens I didn't want but I can't really say that any of the supposed main candidates stand out for me with Valakari's suitability the most difficult of all to gauge for me because I have no real idea of the standard of that league and what level his achievements should be ranked. How is he the right man for you?

I agree that none of the candidates that we are aware of really stand out, Valakari's record in Finland certainly looks impressive but he seems to have been backed financially with a much greater budget than any of the competition. How would he cope with a team on a limited budget compared to much of the competition? To me he is another punt in the dark.

I think we need an experienced manager to come in and turn the squad around, similar to Craig Brown coming in after Gannon. Would a Mixu and Valakari management duo work?

We keep hearing on the need for an experienced manager - how so?

We need somebody who is tactically aware, a good coach and man manager, comfortable with the media etc to recognise a players best position in the team and get the best from him. Somebody who can react to changing situations in the game and alter tactics accordingly. All of this has to be learned so hence the need for an experienced manager.

IB was brought in no doubt full of good ideas but it became obvious fairly quickly that he was tactically inept, did not respond to changing situations in the game, wrong team selections, players out of position i could go on, but basically he could not cope with the challenges of the job. That's why with the situation the team is in just now we need an experienced coach/manager to get the squad back on track, my personal choice would be McGhee.

Valakari is being talked up and on face value he seems to be doing a good job but there has been significant financial investment in the team so i would assume that the standard of players he has are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, that makes his job easier in the respect that the team never gets seriously challenged, so he does not have to react to it etc. A bit like Sally in charge of sevco when they strolled through leagues 1 & 2, would you class that as a great managerial feat?

I am not knocking Valakari as i have no doubt that he probably has a good future as a manager/coach ahead of him but at this time i don't think he is what we need at Fir Park

Lets face it do any of us know anything really about Valakari as a manager? I knew him as a player and he was average at best!!

I doubt any of us know what the Finnish league is like? what his general tactics are? The players in Finland? Checking him out on Wikipedia doesn’t make for a rigorous vetting for our vacant managerial position.

As much as I don’t like the guy, McGhee is unfortunately ticking the boxes for me. I like the idea of McCallister but he didn’t want it before because of the spending restraints so I doubt he’ll want it now.

McGhee I think/hope is now too old in the teeth to be punting himself for bigger jobs so he could be a safe bet. We don’t need to like the guy to be a good manager…look at wee Tommy, he was an insipid wee character but he did a good job for us.

Jose Mourinho or Pep Guardiola haven't achieved what they did as managers on a shoe string budget either, so the fact Valakari has achieved quite a lot in a short period is surely the most important factor in that regard?

What level finish football is at, how his team play etc are unknowns for me, but I don't think discounting him as he's had a decent budget is fair.

I'm not against Mark McGhee, but the manner in which he downed tools and left did leave a bad taste! He'd need to win a lot of people over.

Some managers thrive on a shoestring budget and succeed, up to a point. They can organise teams and fire them up to fight. Alex Smith was just such a manager - a good guy to have in a relegation dogfight. However give them some cash and they struggle. In contrast, some managers like say Walter Smith or Alex McLeish need to have a monetary advantage over competitors before they can succeed. How would the Mourinhos and Wengers of the world fare on our budgets and in our situation - there's a question for you. In short there are different types of manager out there.

I think the club will be quite happy to let the papers and the like keep themselves occupied with the valakari chat while they conduct their interviews through the week. If I'm not mistaken, there still hasn't been a word from the club as to who we are targeting, and I doubt there will be.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity something else, on what basis?

I could probably tell you dozens I didn't want but I can't really say that any of the supposed main candidates stand out for me with Valakari's suitability the most difficult of all to gauge for me because I have no real idea of the standard of that league and what level his achievements should be ranked. How is he the right man for you?

I think his record in finland this season shows he has potential. Also the timing would be perfect. His own personal confidence will be sky high, similar to that of Tommy McLean when we took him from Morton.

Throw in the fact there would be no language problems and he knows the club and the area, i think he would be perfect for us right now.

• Like 2

Seems fairly reasonable for SJK to say we can't speak to him until their season finishes. Realistically that takes us past the Aberdeen game before "officially" we can even start a formal negotiation. Though I dare say we could speak to his agent or discuss through unofficial channels. Bottom line is we'd still have to wait until then to deal with the club themselves. Whichever way you look at it, that's a pretty long time to get to a starting point. Over a month since Baraclough left and 4 possibly 5 games before we even speak to his employer. All the word from the club when Bara was moved on was that we were looking to get someone in reasonably quickly.

Question I suppose the board/club have to ask, and one that's impossible to know the answer to without knowing who the other candidates are, is whether Valakari, with 2 years left on his contract is such a significantly better option than one of the others on the shortlist who may well be free agents and presumably could be appointed quicker. The more I think about it the more I'm wondering just how much of the narrative of our interest (and I'm sure we are interested, to a point) is being driven by Rudi Vata here.

I think vata is responsible for 100% of the story so far, because we know how the club works. If we really are after valakari, we will do what every other club does and speak to him unofficially and only approach the club if we decide to appoint him.

I'm still of the opinion that new guy will be a name we haven't mentioned, or Russell Latapy because I said it first.

We need somebody who is tactically aware, a good coach and man manager, comfortable with the media etc to recognise a players best position in the team and get the best from him. Somebody who can react to changing situations in the game and alter tactics accordingly. All of this has to be learned so hence the need for an experienced manager.

IB was brought in no doubt full of good ideas but it became obvious fairly quickly that he was tactically inept, did not respond to changing situations in the game, wrong team selections, players out of position i could go on, but basically he could not cope with the challenges of the job. That's why with the situation the team is in just now we need an experienced coach/manager to get the squad back on track, my personal choice would be McGhee.

Valakari is being talked up and on face value he seems to be doing a good job but there has been significant financial investment in the team so i would assume that the standard of players he has are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, that makes his job easier in the respect that the team never gets seriously challenged, so he does not have to react to it etc. A bit like Sally in charge of sevco when they strolled through leagues 1 & 2, would you class that as a great managerial feat?

I am not knocking Valakari as i have no doubt that he probably has a good future as a manager/coach ahead of him but at this time i don't think he is what we need at Fir Park

You've got me... I'm hooked. These attributes describe messrs Ferguson, Mourinho and Guardiola to name a select few and certainly not Mark McGhee unless we're glossing over a sizeable chunk of his tenure here. Suppose experience is a step up from the 'safe pair of hands' chat on here.

• Like 1

I don't know what that tells about Simo and his game but SJK has been performing badly against other top teams. SJK won 2 games, 2 draw and 7 loses against other top5 teams. SJK also lost both Europa League games against Iceland team we should won. But despite all that we are top our league table. Its kinda silly season couse we are not 100% happy our game but it seem that other teams are doing even worse.

COyjKxfW8AEeK7v.png

P250_01.gif

Edited by SJK

That I don't know. Yet...

But from what I've heard, Valakari doesn't sound like one of the two. Just my impression...

I don't know who is on the shortlist nor the numbers involved but I've heard that Simo represents too much of a risk at this moment in time. This added to the fact that we would have to pay compensation makes me think it won't be him

Ladbrokes have stop taking bets on Yogi Hughes going to Dundee Utd.

Mixu maybe hasn't cut the mustard.

As for Finland, they love their acronym's don't they? Valakari's record against the top teams is virtually identical to McCall's last full season where we hardly picked up any against top 6 but took almost maximum against bottom 6.

The other thing to consider around Simo & his record - Solskjaer (sp?) had a brilliant record before coming to the EPL & it didn't work out for him. As someone mentioned earlier - all appointments have an element of risk, we just need to try & reduce that risk