Motherwell V Ross County Sat 23 Jan 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Between the two boxes we were fine. Some decent final balls put in which weren't converted. But an inability to take chances or defend basic set pieces cost us and will continue to do so until it's addressed.

Good performances from Cadden, Ripley, Kennedy and Lasley. Johnson did well in the first half up to a point, but on occasions his decision making let him down...

Just one of those games when it wouldn't go in.

Thought we started very poorly, in fact the whole place was very flat. Ross County were certainly the better team at that stage and their goal wasn't really a surprise. Neither was the fact that it came from a poorly defended corner.

About 25 - 30 minutes in we actually started to play and from that point on we were the dominent team. Not sure how many chances we missed but on another day we could have score 4, 5, 6.

Second half I thought we played very well, except for that final touch. County were obviously playing to hit us on the break and to be fair they had a couple of chances before they got the second.

Even after we scored we were very unlucky not to get an equalizer, Fox pulled off a great save from Lasley and did well to stop McFadden as well.

Overall, I felt the performance was pretty decent but or slow start allowed County to get a hold on the game. Hammell going off injured might be a major problem though, hopefully its nothing serious.

The first hour we played well and apart from one fuck up from a corner were the better side. Cadden did well, looks like an athlete and improved as the game went on.

Left when Chalmers came on but heard he had a nightmare. We're in a relegation battle and the priority has to be the defence, any spare cash has to go on a decent right back this window.

A few thoughts from today;

- 3 points dropped, County were shite

- Mr Kennedy isn't a right back

- Hammells injury could be a real blow for us if it's as bad as it appeared

- Cadden wasnt sparkling but he didn't look out his depth...hopefully he appears more confident in himself next time he gets a start

- Hopefully Bournemouth weren't watching Johnson today...pretty poor

- Scott Boyd had Moult in his pocket for most of the match

- Our decision making in the final 3rd and final ball was poor overall

- why it took to 75mins to make an attacking change when we were flat from about 60mins was bizarre, as was the fact that Johnson managed to stay on even though he was cunted

- I didn't really get the vitriol towards the referee...yes, he's a wee bawbag in general, but today I didn't think he done much wrong...certainly nothing that overly influenced the outcome of the match

-

Thought we badly missed Josh Law going forward today.

Also Johnson fell out the game, when they started doubling up on him, this is when we should have looked at a plan B.

Personally thought Lasley was poor, but people see games differently I guess.

Badly need a central midfielder who can pass a ball, so we have a 2nd attacking outlet instead of down the wings everytime.

Too sluggish getting into their box

Their number 2 s headed clearance from under the bar and the keepers stop from Las made sure we took nothing .

I would have to say that if Hammells injury is bad then that's a far bigger issue than dropping three points today.

That said, reading this thread you'd think Chalmers sold the jerseys today. He's slow as a week in the jail but he has played worse.

Cadden started poorly but contributed more as the game progressed. There's potential there but we need more dig and composure in the middle of the park immediately.

Skippy worked his arse off, making dozens of passes to him look a lot better than they actually were. He had to do too much too deep too often, which compromised Louis Moults ability to interplay

county are a feckin shocking team constantly trying to break up the play and their sole game plan is hump it long and chase after it. Our constant inabillity to defend free kicks and corners cost us the game, we created enough chances to win 2 games but we need to be more ruthless in taking them.

I said it before the game and have not changed my opinion Kennedy is pish, Cadden did well a run in the team might bring him on a bit. Our midfield badly needs strengthened, Lasley is done, Pearson was anonymous for long spells today so McGhee needs to get a couple of Midfielders in and maybe a couple of full backs as well because if all we have for cover is Kennedy and Chalmers we have big problems.

How we took nothing from that game is beyond me.

saying that both teams were poor.

Mcdonald worked his arse off.

It troubles me why mcghee didnt make a change for 10 minutes once we went 2-0 down and bothers me even more as to why ge didnt take johnson off as he was clearly running on empty.

moult wasnt given a sniff all day by their defence.

I also have the fear that hammy is out for a few weeks and we will need to put chalmers in.

Cadden was alright, some folk are goin over the top on social media, he was alright and thats about it, other than a shot and a cross he didnt do much although he has got a good engine on him whuch is the least id expect from a young professional athlete.

Weird day. A trait of McGhee's Motherwell teams is that we come flying out the blocks. Today was the opposite, the players seemed to be suffering from a Tynecastle hangover in front of an eerily flat support.

From 25-30 minutes on however, we dominated for large spells and the game was in the balance at 1-0. Had we equalised, I think we'd have scored 1 or 2 more. At the same time, Ross County always looked capable of scoring on the break and so it proved. No coincidence that the goal came after Chalmers arrived on the scene.

Pleased Cadden got his 1st start, I thought he done reasonably well but there is much more to come from him and he'll benefit from playing against grown men every week.

What we desperately need just now is a midfielder who can dictate the play with the ball at his feet and compliment the running power of Pearson, Johnson, Cadden and Ainsworth.

Two difficult away games coming up before the visit of Inverness in the cup. Vital we pick up some point here or we are in bother. In order to do so, we need to improve defensively. The other week McGhee commented that our training is very much geared to attacking play and scoring goals. That's all good and well but we need to be far more professional in how we do the basics in defence.

First 20 mins or so I thought we looked like a team who had been scudded 6-0 last week. Hesitant, nervous and lacking a bit of belief. We only actually seemed to start playing after they scored.

Thought Cadden showed up well, at fault for their first and gave Irvine the freedom of the box but other that that (and that genuinely wasn't a dig) I thought he grew in to the game well and didn't look out of place at all. He more than deserves a run in the team.

Missed a number of good chances to equalise and Fox brought off a number of good saves. Defensively we were certainly shaky but I thought Kennedy was alright at right back and got up well at the back post for Pearson's goal.

We looked a bit toothless going forward and as others have said our decision making in the final third could/should have been much better. Having said all that, last time County were here we were utterly abject and nicked a point, we were much better than that performance today and got nothing. Meh!

Same three points lost as last Saturday but that was so much more frustrating.

By no means anything like a startling display from us but overall unfortunate not to get a point I felt.

I think the fallout from last weekend was evident early on as we appeared tentative and edgy but gradually grew into it. Frustrating that County scored with pretty much their only attack of the half. A very well worked corner you would have to concede but for our part, very poorly defended.

A good response though and we went on to dominate the rest of the half. One or two decent chances - efforts from Moult and Cadden spring to mind and there were a couple of occasions where we just didn't get the break of the ball.

County played us brilliantly in the second half. Gave us the ball to play with which we did, without creating too much, and on almost every occasion they managed to break they looked like they'd score. The only surprise was it took them so long to get that second.

Our late consolation was no less than we deserved and with had either or those balls from McFadden or Lasley been a foot or so higher then who knows, we might have got that point I felt we deserved.

The obvious positive was the performance of Cadden who looked in no way overawed at he faced today and went to be many folks' Man of the Match. Lots of energy, a desire to get forward and generally get himself involved in the game. Even an effort or two at goal. Very impressive.

But overall quite deflating to have lost, and that another game against a side we should be looking to beat at home has come and gone.

Thought we deserved a point today but we have gaps in quality all over the pitch that never seem to not be exploited. I thought Ross County were rotten, but are so rotten they are now 4th!!

Disappointing that our heads clearly went down when they scored there 2nd. There was still 20 minutes left at that point and when we did get a goal back it was just two late.

Really hope Hammell is ok as Chalmers just will not do.

So game 1 of 5 down in the "must not lose" run and we lost it. 7 - 9 points is still the extremely realistic target I think we should be aiming for and anything less than that and we are once again truly in the more.

We're still in massive trouble and today was a massive missed opportunity to take even a draw at home against one of our peers.

Poor stuff.

As I said in the man of the match thread was impressed with cadden even though he was at fault for the opener. He didn't let it affect him and he was a plus point today in a game where a draw would probably have been fairer but if you can't make your possession count then you are always going to give yourself problems.

Didn't think that grimshaw being missing made too much of a difference as cadden played the roll well, for me it was the front two guys not being able to (or not being allowed to hold the ball up) that was our undoing.

On a side note, how much would I have loved us to get Jackson irvine in the summer, he's a big long haired sheila but he ran the midfield today