The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Leaving aside Bowman for a moment, looking at Craig Clay, would I want him as first choice in our midfield? Possibly not. Could he do a job as a backup midfielder or someone to bring on in a game when we're trying to shore up the midfield? Could we find someone better quality happy to do that job on similar money? He's no world beaters but certainly not the worst midfielder that I've seen playing for Motherwell...

Pretty much. If McHugh's head hadn't exploded and if he hadn't needed to revert to centre half on account of us only having one fit centre half do we really think Clay would have played anywhere near as much as he has?

If another team is willing to take him on then I doubt we'll be difficult to deal with and I'd have thought Robinson would have that conversation but ultimately he is what he is, a fairly limited player who's been brought in to be around the squad.

Slightly off subject but what is the difference in prize money between 10th and 9th

9th: £1,155,000

10th: £1,100,000

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-your-premiership-side-9784650

Edit: for comparison we'd have received £1,424,250 for finishing 5th last season.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-premiership-prize-money-who-7831218

I think our model is going to generate more Clay's and blyth's than Johnson's and moult's. We're trying to find players with potential that no one else has noticed yet, and the only way to do that is to take a punt. We're at a level where if we have to compete with anyone for a signing we're probably going to lose, so we have to get in early.

Not 100% sure about that. Yes transfers are mixture of successes and failures but hopefully we get more right than wrong. At our level we're not going to pick up anyone that no-one else has noticed. Other clubs will be competing or will know about our targets. Players like Bowman and Clay will have been well known to the likes of Inverness, Hamilton, Partick, Kilmarnock and so on. At this level we can compete financially. Occasionally our manager will say player X, a right back, looks as if he might be a good squad player for us, however my main target is a Player Y, a central defender, and I'll pay more for him. We'll offer Player X say £900 pw basic. St Johnstone identify their main priority as a right back and offer Player X £1,000 pw. So Player X ends up in Perth. That doesn't mean to say we can't compete financially with St Johnstone; just that we preferred to invest more cash elsewhere in the squad.

• Like 1

ps - think along the lines of £1000 a week for the players coming up from non-league football and you'll be closer to the mark. That's the kind of money they are on, especially in the southern based teams, even in that league.

They ain't at Motherwell for the money, they are here for the exposure a la Marvin Johnson.

Moult looks like he's in with a chance of a good move, I reckon Frear will be next. Agents and players in the non-league teams will be watching that and wanting a piece of it. That'll make it easier for us to persuade players to sign for us.

I know for a fact Frear was on £50k a year a forest green. For once, you make a good point but as ever, you've over egged it.

• Like 1

I'm hearing lots of chat from friends in the relative know at Charlton that Karl Robinson is really keen on taking Louis Moult to the Valley.

Part of me is gutted at the prospect of us having to repair the hole we'll have without him but the other part of me thinks YES (I'm at the valley most weeks now) Louis is just the type of striker that could push Charlton to the playoffs.

I think if he does go, he'll go to league 1 which willbe the most competitive it has been in years. There are some relatively big payers in there and Louis is guaranteed to match or better his tally with us in that league.

As an aside, charlton released Adam Chicksen much to the surprise of most fans with whom he was well liked. A fairly experienced league 1 LB, perhaps the wage would be an issue but he's dropped from championship to league 1 and his next move is crucial to bounce a stuttering career. He'd do well for us!!!

I know for a fact Frear was on £50k a year a forest green. For once, you make a good point but as ever, you've over egged it.

No I didn't.

I gave a fair assessment, which you have verified as being correct.

You'd be staggered at how often I'm correct, including first team players being offered £450 a week basic.

By the way, if you contact Sandy Bryson at the SFA, he has a record of all transfers and contracts involving Scottish clubs.

If you'd like to know what really happened with players such as Robbie Leitch, he's your man.

No I didn't.

You'd be staggered at how often I'm correct, including first team players being offered £450 a week basic.

By the way, if you contact Sandy Bryson at the SFA, he has a record of all transfers and contracts involving Scottish clubs.

If you'd like to know what really happened with players such as Robbie Leitch, he's your man.

If you are being told this sort of information by someone official, you would think there is a data protection breach going on. There is also the question of how ethical and moral you are being if you are willing to reveal the private inner workings of the club you support. If you are being told things by someone within the club, then there is a betrayal of trust by either you or the person telling you, or both, when you reveal them on a public forum. And that is if what you say is true. If it isn't, then there are a whole other set of issues at play.

• Like 2

I think we might keep Bowman for use off the bench or in specific situations when we need to go route one. I wouldnt be relying on him to get me 15 goals a season far less 20 but he is a big physical lad and could be useful in certain games.

Blyth we dont need......

You mean carry on exactly as we are, doing the same thing over and over again , you expecting a different result?

Define insanity

Please explain how you come to that position from my post?

Seriously? you said "keep Bowman for use off the bench or in specific situations when we need to go route one. I wouldnt be relying on him to get me 15 goals a season far less 20 but he is a big physical lad and could be useful in certain games."

in fact I'm not even going to ....

Lets not be oblivious to the fact that sometimes for a player to shine he needs to be either:

• played in his preferred position
  • played in a tactical system that compliments his style of play (counter attack - Ainsworth)
  • played with someone to compliment him (Erwin - with McDonald coaching him)

This is the only hope, some of them have, the likes of Bowman, some pretty decent history, but have shown with a fair amount of game time that they are brutal when deployed in certain roles supplied in a certain manner (worst football in years!)

however there is a glimmer of hope that in the correct team, the likes of Bowman could deliver - I would not be building a team around him just yet though! and certainly not if Robinson plans the same type of game he used at Oldham or later at us this season

No I didn't.

Come on then, is Sandy Bryson a close friend of yours? A fellow member of an exclusive club that only globe trotting taxi drivers with CIA access codes and SFA officiados are entitled membership to?

What was I saying about over egging it?

I see Alex Fisher at Caley was only on 6 months which has come to an end

4 goals in 2 games v us is reasonably impressive. Granted against a porous defence !

I was impressed by the type of goals he scored. A mixture of real skill and strikers instinct.

It may be an all too rare purple patch, but looked a far better option than Bowman or Blyth !

• Like 1

Sandy Bryson was in charge of player registrations at SFA a couple of years ago. Not sure what post or role he undertakes now. Would be surprised if he was passing on details of transfer fees, if indeed that's the case, to third parties if the information wasn't already in the public domain.

Anyhow, more importantly, who is running the sweep for the number of players to be freed. I will hazard a guess at 8 first team players and 4 u20s.

I see Alex Fisher at Caley was only on 6 months which has come to an end

4 goals in 2 games v us is reasonably impressive. Granted against a porous defence !

I was impressed by the type of goals he scored. A mixture of real skill and strikers instinct.

It may be an all too rare purple patch, but looked a far better option than Bowman or Blyth !

I agree that he has looked pretty decent the last few weeks as he has picked up a fair few goals, but his overall goal record isn't great if you look back over his career. Nevertheless, definitely looks more useful than Bowman/Blyth. If I hadn't looked at his career stats, I'd definitely have thought he was worth a punt.

Fisher is a bit hit and miss but he's bound to have caught the eye of Robinson and others since his lob at Fir Park which kicked off a run of 6 goals in 6 games.

Hadn't realised Jordan Jones was out of contract at Killie. Here's hoping the NI connection gives us an outside chance.

Meanwhile, Alan Mannus signs new contract with St Johnstone. I think this is good news.

The Sun has stated that 8 players will be leaving with Lasley being offered a coaching role.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1040770/motherwell-boss-stephen-robinson-set-to-axe-eight-players-but-wants-keith-lasley-to-stay-as-coach/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-scotsunsport-_-Sport-_-FBLink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER

WELL CLEAR-OUT

Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson set to axe EIGHT players but wants Keith Lasley to stay as coach

The Steelmen have opened talks with signing targets and could announce the arrival of at least two later this week

EXCLUSIVE
By Andy Devlin
22nd May 2017, 8:18 am
Updated: 22nd May 2017, 8:35 am

MOTHERWELL are today expected to confirm the departures of at least EIGHT players.

Boss Stephen Robinson will spark his summer revolution with a mass Fir Park clear-out.

NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LTD

SunSport understands keeper Craig Samson, Joe Chalmers, Zak Jules, Lee Lucas, Stephen Pearson, Ryan Bowman, and Jacob Blyth are all set to follow striker Scott McDonald out the door.

More are still sweating on their futures, yet it’s understood Well are keen to hand long-serving skipper Keith Lasley a coaching role to keep him at the club.

Robinson will hold further talks this week as he bids to avoid another relegation scrap next season.

Meanwhile, it’s also understood the club have opened talks with several signing targets and could announce the arrival of at least two later this week.

After Well’s final game of the season at Inverness Robinson said: “We’ve got 14 contracted players at this moment.

“We might have to do a little bit of wheeling and dealing to get some people out, and get better players in, if we’re being honest.

“We’re down there this season for a reason. We weren’t good enough, and we have to be prudent with what we do to make sure we’re not down there again next season.

“The league’s going to get stronger next year, so our first and foremost is always to get survival.

“Within the confines of our dressing room we aim a lot higher, but first and foremost is to stay up and build from there.”

Anyone who rates Bowman is off their head. A totally bonkers acquisition from the on the spectrum McGhee.

His grooming is also very questionable. Stick a sword in his hand and a floppy hat and he is in the musketeers.

• Andy_P locked this topic