2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

Was good to see Campbell, Turnbull, Hastie, Cadden and Scott making an appearances recently (with Semple on the bench).  6 academy products in the same team is great progress and must be a huge selling point when we are trying to recruit.

• Like 4

The additional money would have been nice, but as fans the additional 120k or whatever we earn would quickly be forgotten about if we were to go and take a few drubbings of 5 clubs who are all playing for European places. Hopefully the bottom 6 sees the return of sexy motherwell, more young well getting a chance and the chance to end the season on a high. 120k or not, going to ibrox again, or having celtic win the league on your patch is never a good thing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, weeyin said:

He'll be struggling to make payments on his new motor if he doesn't sign for someone soon. 

Or he’s already got an agreement in place but they want to see the season out before the club he’s signed for announce it ?

Based on the timing (at least according to Turnbull's interview I read, where he was taking the Mick) it sounded like he bought his new wheels on the back of the Rangers (non) deal.

However, I'm sure his agent/manager will make sure he'll not be struggling for petrol money any time soon.

4 hours ago, mfc said:

Good signing,he's been one of the best centre half's in the league this season,so to get him on a free transfer,is decent business by us.

For those of a certain age there is a resemblance I feel with the signing of `Buff` Martin.

Similar age when signing and been round several small clubs beforehand,   Gallagher like Martin will I am sure regard the move to Motherwell as his biggest opportunity to make a mark.

Add to that and apart from his range of skills Gallagher will almost certainly be a hungry player intent on making up for lost time.

Congratulations to DG and well done the club in getting the deal done.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, livivoice said:

For those of a certain age there is a resemblance I feel with the signing of `Buff` Martin.

Similar age when signing and been round several small clubs beforehand,   Gallagher like Martin will I am sure regard the move to Motherwell as his biggest opportunity to make a mark.

Add to that and apart from his range of skills Gallagher will almost certainly be a hungry player intent on making up for lost time.

Congratulations to DG and well done the club in getting the deal done.   

Let's just hope he doesn't get played in midfield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not for the first time, we are being linked with Liam Polworth. Scott Burns the source, indicating St Johnstone and Hamilton are also interested. 

I didn’t see the semi at the weekend but generally whenever I see Inverness on the tv, Polworth catches the eye. Suspect he would be a replacement for Cadden. 

Yeah, I reckon it will be a pretty massive job.

There's probably a reasonable chance that every single out of contract player will depart. I think the slight stagnation/injury/compensation fee pronged trio might put a lot of teams off Cadden, but he could still have offers. Other than him, the players who have been in the side since our upsurge in form now seem to have suitors, which in turn has proved those who have fallen out of the team since then are, bottom line, not good enough. Looks like it's a balance between those hoping for a move to further themselves and those hoping for a move for first team football.

A long with those out of contract, I wouldn't be surprised to see Donnelly, Hartley and Johnson also go. Since that Ross County cup game, they've played 41 minutes between them, which would tell you their future doesn't lie here.

If I'm thinking right, that leaves us on 9 contracted outfield players (Tait, Campbell, Grimshaw, Dunne, Turnbull, Livingstone, Scott, Maguire, Gallagher) and 3 goalkeepers (Carson, Gillespie, Ferguson).

A big job ahead, indeed.

38 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

Yes a big job but definately a lot of room to get better quality in. Apart from Aldred. Who would we like to keep. Cadden's had a poor season.

He has been injured for a big chunk of it, been played out of position for another part of it, and yes not quite up to the level he set the previous seasons but, all in all, he hardly had a season at all as opposed to a poor season.

2 hours ago, Joeboy said:

If I'm thinking right, that leaves us on 9 contracted outfield players (Tait, Campbell, Grimshaw, Dunne, Turnbull, Livingstone, Scott, Maguire, Gallagher) and 3 goalkeepers (Carson, Gillespie, Ferguson).

A big job ahead, indeed.

When you see that list, it is really quite something. Assuming we are able to (and want to) move on Donnelly, Hartley and Johnson, we're left with virtually no attacking options and very little in midfield. An opportunity or a problem? Depends on your belief in Robinson's ability in the transfer market. It certainly doesn't look like this summer will be about strengthening from 12 to 16 as last summer was..

Having said that, I wouldn't be astounded to see Donnelly, McHugh and Frear in our squad next season.  Donnelly may look out of the picture but so too did Grimshaw at points last season. Frear and McHugh are players that Robinson talks up and I think there are a few factors as to whether they stay or not. Do they want to stay as squad players? Do we have targets we feel can replace them? Will they be happy with the contracts on offer if the offers are on squad player terms? 

Period of uncertainty ahead. More so if we get bids for Turnbull and Campbell that we can't turn down. .

Unfortunately, this is the way of the world for us for the most part.

If we bring players in from down south we can't really afford to offer them anything other than a one year deal, can we? If they end up being shite we can punt them after a season with no problem, but that obviously leaves us with a problem if they do well and decide to piss off for nothing at the end of the season.

We're not a club who can risk investing first team wages in a player for two or three years who may or may not be up to the job. It's a risk we can't really take.

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

When you see that list, it is really quite something. Assuming we are able to (and want to) move on Donnelly, Hartley and Johnson, we're left with virtually no attacking options and very little in midfield. An opportunity or a problem? Depends on your belief in Robinson's ability in the transfer market. It certainly doesn't look like this summer will be about strengthening from 12 to 16 as last summer was..

Having said that, I wouldn't be astounded to see Donnelly, McHugh and Frear in our squad next season.  Donnelly may look out of the picture but so too did Grimshaw at points last season. Frear and McHugh are players that Robinson talks up and I think there are a few factors as to whether they stay or not. Do they want to stay as squad players? Do we have targets we feel can replace them? Will they be happy with the contracts on offer if the offers are on squad player terms? 

Period of uncertainty ahead. More so if we get bids for Turnbull and Campbell that we can't turn down. .

Mchugh will be away for def, wouldn't be surprised to see the other two depart either

49 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

The guys have signed extensions to stay here and play first team football. If we punt them then I hope it is after discussing it with the player and he is in total agreement with the move. I’d hate to see them getting punted to a team that then sticks them in their U23 set up, reserves or even on the bench and watch them festering. 

In short, they have stuck by us and I hope we as a club stick by them and don’t punt them against their wishes. 

• David locked this topic