Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

The sun just made that up, if you pay close attention you can tell its bollocks, because its written in the sun. It's not unusual for the remaining staff to take care of the team while a club searches for a manager, I doubt we're going to wait 4 games before starting a search, and like previously, Lasley will apply like everyone else, just like robbo did. 

31 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not sure about the wisdom of this. I might be proved wrong but I think we need  a fresh approach. 

Not the easiest 4 games in which to prove yourself. That said our big failing has been at home and we only have one home game in that run.......against Sevco.

Totally agree Dave,  Lasley was part of the decisions taken by SR re tactics, which player is best in which position etc, so are we to think that in 4 games he is going to radically change tactics and our approach to games, I am with you a new approach is required not a re-boot of the old.

That said he has probably earned his chance so fair play to him, who knows it might work  out.

Take no joy in him leaving but I think he was scunnered by performances and lack of tempo. He also seemed to lack the drive and vigour he exhibited at the start of his tenure.

Looking at the last few SPFL appointments, Lennon, arguably has plateaued St Brendan's team at best, reality is he has made them much worse despite trophies. Davison, don't see any improvement over Wright except he managed to point May in the general direction of a goalmouth. Killie had that Italian who lost the dressing room now it seems Steve Clark's assistant is a career assistant. Hearts, shitshow after another from when Cathro was appointed. Let's not overlook the advantage of Livvy's pitch to Holt's record. Ross County, highlight was beating us in week 1, Yoggie to the rescue? Accies, Brain Rice ... give me strength.

It would be hard for anyone (except the usual suspects) to argue over Robinson during his tenure however it did seem to be on a downward trajectory acknowledged by himself. Yes the team is roughly in the table where he picked it up. While not finding and developing, he blooded and played a number of our youth setup for big financial gain. Financially we are immeasurably healthier and would be infinitessimily if he hadn't given wages to a number of imposters.

I'd say in our league at present there are 5 managers who have improved their side (some marginally) over what they inherited. Gerrard, McInnes (however I'd argue he plateaued about 2/3 years ago), Goodwin (too early? based on that Rangers result maybe and recent form), Ross and Robinson.

Mellon has inherited Neilson's team but they are more than holding their own as newly promoted, don't feel it fair yet to judge. Holt improved his team so should be above but they declined of late and let's not ignore the importance of that pitch in picking up points.

The rest are maintaining that status quo or taking their teams backward. Davison, Kettlewell (as newly punted), Lennon and Dyer (probably the worst performer).

No surprise Las gets 4 games (in theory), that leaves 8 days before the transfer window closes. In reality, to stand any chance he needs a bounce against Accies and St Mirren. Good results in the current circumstances is not to be drubbed by Rangers and Aberdeen away is on paper tough but oddly one of our most successful away days for the past 10 years. The board will have an idea after St. Mirren if there's promise and shouldn't be expecting much from the following two games. However the wheels have already been set in motion to court outside interest and will potentially gain more impetus on the 10th of January depending on the result the day before.

I also guess he will be told he has to get results with what he has unless there were loan signings already in the pipeline. That could be argued as handcuffing but it is a big step up for someone with no pedigree so I have no issue with that. Also if we do appoint outside the club, having 8 days to wheel and deal to bring in players has to be seen as a minor incentive over playing out things till May with what they inherit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, well_said said:

We've just lost a manager whose style of football bored the pants offs, we dont need another like him.

At this point it doesn't matter. We need an experienced pair of hands to steady the ship. I'd gladly shitfest our way to the end of the season winning ugly if it meant we stay up. Review it at the end of the season when we are out of the worst of Covid, fans are coming back and then move on. The club has done so much good work in recent years on and off the field so it would be a travesty to go down or even get sucked into a relegation battle. Sometimes pragmatism works.

Edited by Walker86
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Keith Lasley taking over: best case scenario, Davie Hay, worst, Maurice Malpas. Does anyone on here know how much input he had in signings, team selection, tactics? Or if he's interested?

I just need to know if he sanctioned the subs, we can take it from there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Totally agree Dave,  Lasley was part of the decisions taken by SR re tactics, which player is best in which position etc, so are we to think that in 4 games he is going to radically change tactics and our approach to games, I am with you a new approach is required not a re-boot of the old.

That said he has probably earned his chance so fair play to him, who knows it might work  out.

Yep, would love for Las to succeed but I do wonder if the dressing room needs a new voice, a fresh set of eyes on the players. 

5 minutes ago, Heisenboab said:

Think Derek Adams would be a good shout if we were able to get him off Morecambe. Pretty decent record north and south of the border and would know our transfer market.

If he does well he would inevitably leave for Aberdeen when that jobs up though.

Just as long as we dont swap him for that twat mcinnes. 

32 minutes ago, ropy said:

If Las takes the job he is essentially putting himself out of work, even a successful Lasley regime would last 3 years, just a typical shelf life, then what.

Good job you weren't Alex Ferguson's career advisor or more recently but not on the same tier (yet) .... Robbie Neilson's.

However there is an element of truth to what you say, he's settled nearby with a young family if it doesn't work out is it likely he'd be offered another backroom job at the club like Durrant at Rangers who seems to have stayed there through thick and thin. Stay as a Number 2? No guarantee that any outside appointee will want to keep him over bringing his his own guy.

Everyone concerned will want to see a bump in the next few games, if there isn't one then he drops to being the cheapest option to take us to the summer.

Naturally I expect a "Lasley out" thread on here tomorrow at 15:01

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

Any news on anyone who has left the club today...I believe at least O'Donnell contract is up although I think we had an option until the end of the season or was I dreaming that up.?

Lang has departed; Archer has left; O'Donnell is contracted until the end of the month (source P & B); don't know about Hastie.

17 hours ago, star sail said:

What makes you think Craig Brown was an excellent appointment? I don't disagree that he was the right man at the time to steady the ship but from memory we were 5th when he started and 5th when he left.  I remember a good few thumping at the hands of Celtic on the way through as well and his brand of football was never scintillating (6-6 v Hibs apart) and I don't remember him having a forward thinking vision. Was it not Gannon that signed the players that Craig Brown worked with? He was a steady pair of hands. Maybe that alone made him an excellent appointment at the time?

As we all know from recent experience league position is not always indicative of performance on the field.  Putting aside the chaos behind the scenes, Gannon left us with 4 wins from 17 league matches and 1 win in 10. 

When Craig Brown came we went on an unbeaten run of 12 matches.  In the second half of the season we won 5 matches by a 2 goal margin and put 3 past Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Hearts (all wins) and Hibs and Rangers (both draws).   

We scored 29 goals from 20 matches compared to 16 goals in 19 matches this season.  Oh and against Celtic we lost one match 0-4.  All the rest were either 0-1 or 1-2 defeats.

I know what I'd rather be watching.