Jump to content

Neilwell86

2021/2022 Rebuild

Recommended Posts

TBH, I'm not sure why people get so worked up about players leaving a club like ours. Our public business model is to bring in players - especially those with a point to prove and/or a career to resurrect - and move them on.

If Watt does move in Jan, we still got a bargain by signing him for free and getting some top performances from him. The fact that he bought into our club and its community philosophy is a credit to him and our club's signing strategy.

Despite his good showing, I think it's more of a risk for TW to leave for a club like Utd. than it is for us to lose him (just ask John Sutton), but I certainly won't bear any grudges when he go. At the end of the day, it's a job, and most of us consider better wages when they are offered, even if we don't always take them.

And, as always, we can hold him up an example of how beneficial our club can be to a career when we are looking to recruit.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

TBH, I'm not sure why people get so worked up about players leaving a club like ours. Our public business model is to bring in players - especially those with a point to prove and/or a career to resurrect - and move them on.

If Watt does move in Jan, we still got a bargain by signing him for free and getting some top performances from him. The fact that he bought into our club and its community philosophy is a credit to him and our club's signing strategy.

Despite his good showing, I think it's more of a risk for TW to leave for a club like Utd. than it is for us to lose him (just ask John Sutton), but I certainly won't bear any grudges when he go. At the end of the day, it's a job, and most of us consider better wages when they are offered, even if we don't always take them.

And, as always, we can hold him up an example of how beneficial our club can be to a career when we are looking to recruit.

and he did a good job. Unlike so may others we have signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, weeyin said:

TBH, I'm not sure why people get so worked up about players leaving a club like ours. Our public business model is to bring in players - especially those with a point to prove and/or a career to resurrect - and move them on.

If Watt does move in Jan, we still got a bargain by signing him for free and getting some top performances from him. The fact that he bought into our club and its community philosophy is a credit to him and our club's signing strategy.

Despite his good showing, I think it's more of a risk for TW to leave for a club like Utd. than it is for us to lose him (just ask John Sutton), but I certainly won't bear any grudges when he go. At the end of the day, it's a job, and most of us consider better wages when they are offered, even if we don't always take them.

And, as always, we can hold him up an example of how beneficial our club can be to a career when we are looking to recruit.

Yes there are some who get very worked up at a player  leaving us and I get that. At the other end of the spectrum there are those who almost, and I say almost, encourage a good player to leave us. However many, myself included, accept that its part of our business model, and players have a right to move on. My grouse is how its done and in this case it leaves a lot to be desired.      

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As  al lot of people has said, players need to look after themselves, and will move for a good signing on fee and more money. That's fine, but we are talking about a player moving to a rival in the same league, so my only concern is for the good of Motherwell, not the player. If indeed Dundee Utd want the player to start in January then they pay good money for that to happen. Not what they want to pay, but what Motherwell want them to pay. If they can"t or won"t come up with the cash the player stays until the end of his contract, and trains with the youngsters and sits in the stand and watches the games from there. Unfortunately a player who has played for at least 12 clubs, doesn't come across as a very reliable individual, which is a real shame, as he has said he felt at home here. The manager has appeared to have made his position clear, by sitting Watt on the bench for the last game, and I see that continuing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Something's wrong here too many sensible comments on this TW situation, is it the season of goodwill.

Must be,  next thing you know folk will be liking my jokes!!! ( hmmmm mibbees naw) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Must be,  next thing you know folk will be liking my jokes!!! ( hmmmm mibbees naw) 

Too far..!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some one  ( i know )  left a good job for more money, and within 3 months realised they had made a mistake and were feckin scunnered with there workload  there, so started looking for a job else where    moral is,,,,   the more money employers give you, the more they expect  out ofyou , we will soon see if TW rises ,, or as shown before TW sinks, either way we will survive , will he ???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

My grouse is how its done and in this case it leaves a lot to be desired.      

What exactly is annoying you about how it was done? The media getting hold of it? As far as I can tell nothing else has been denied or confirmed by the club or player, so I'm not sure what you expect from him?

5 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

If they can"t or won"t come up with the cash the player stays until the end of his contract, and trains with the youngsters and sits in the stand and watches the games from there.

Any club who does that to not only their top scorer, but the league's top scorer, is mental. Apart from the fact we'd be intentionally depriving ourselves of a very good player who we will be paying very good money by our own standards, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the squad? From what I gather, Watt is well liked and respected in the dressing room.

Unless the player gives the manager a reason to take such harsh action it shouldn't be considered. He's a Motherwell player, being paid by us until he signs for another club. 

20 minutes ago, smiddy said:

some one  ( i know )  left a good job for more money, and within 3 months realised they had made a mistake and were feckin scunnered with there workload  there, so started looking for a job else where    moral is,,,,   the more money employers give you, the more they expect  out ofyou , we will soon see if TW rises ,, or as shown before TW sinks, either way we will survive , will he ???

So what's the moral of the story there? Don't show any ambition? Stay where you are and where there's less expected of you? Although, I don't think Dundee United will expect anything more of him than we have. There's not that huge a gulf between the clubs and their targets each season.

If Tony Watt is good enough to lead the scoring charts for Motherwell, he's good enough to do the same for Dundee United.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I am the only one who thinks good on you Tony you deserve more cash.

You scored some crucial goals and had some brilliant performances for us when we were almost dead and buried and the rest of the team appeared to have downed tools.

I have nothing but good wishes for him and if this turns out to be his last big wage before he retires then he deserves it.

The club has survived another year in the big league and pushed on this year. So best of luck (except when you play against us) in the future.

The club will move on and we will no doubt find someone else who will be our short term hero until they move on and ad nauseam

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I think I am the only one who thinks good on you Tony you deserve more cash.

You scored some crucial goals and had some brilliant performances for us when we were almost dead and buried and the rest of the team appeared to have downed tools.

I have nothing but good wishes for him and if this turns out to be his last big wage before he retires then he deserves it.

The club has survived another year in the big league and pushed on this year. So best of luck (except when you play against us) in the future.

The club will move on and we will no doubt find someone else who will be our short term hero until they move on and ad nauseam

Your not alone. Watt is merely doing what we would all do .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Well Well said:

I think I am the only one who thinks good on you Tony you deserve more cash.

You scored some crucial goals and had some brilliant performances for us when we were almost dead and buried and the rest of the team appeared to have downed tools.

I have nothing but good wishes for him and if this turns out to be his last big wage before he retires then he deserves it.

The club has survived another year in the big league and pushed on this year. So best of luck (except when you play against us) in the future.

The club will move on and we will no doubt find someone else who will be our short term hero until they move on and ad nauseam

Yes you are….well maybe not the only one.

I am  quite tolerant and level headed as most who know me would agree :-) 

But he has as much to thank Motherwell (if not more) than we have to thank him. I said over on P&B we gave him the right environment to flourish. He did not do so at St J or Hearts. He was fairly anonymous for both those teams. So flourish he does and is top goalscorer and as a result has netted a significant wage hike. Of course he has applied himself, but again he has had more clubs than I have baths in a year ! 

He is also going to a direct rival. So I simply don’t get this wishing him luck bollox. Enough luck that he scores 15 goals for United from Jan and they pip us to a European place. I mean really. I hope he scored very few goals and that he regrets this move. Bitter maybe but tbh I would feel that with any Motherwell player that jumps ship to a rival. Turnbull may be an exception, but again as he is at Celtic I find it hard to have warm fuzzy feelings towards him any longer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David said:

What exactly is annoying you about how it was done? The media getting hold of it? As far as I can tell nothing else has been denied or confirmed by the club or player, so I'm not sure what you expect from him?

Two reasons, David.

Firstly he has been badge kissing and playing up to the fans for some time now. You'll remember that he jumped up onto the East Stand barrier wall for example. He also said that he liked it at Motherwell. Now I'm not against anyone celebrating when he scores a goal for us, but these actions were more theatrical than most. The first time that news broke publicly about him turning down our offers and stating his intention to move on was 10 December.  Talks had apparently broken down. Now these talks don't just start and conclude in a day or so they can take weeks or even months.  So while he was playing to the fans its likely that he had decided to move on at the end of the season. In short he built up unrealistic expectations. He would have been better advised to tone down the rapport with the punters. In fairness, he's not the first nor will he be the last to do this. 

Secondly, the leak about moving to Dundee United. This occurred on Christmas Eve, just before we were due to play our final game before the break. Very odd. Now he could have been negotiating a move with United since 1 November and thats perfectly fine. Someone leaked news of the PCA to the press. Now that could only have been himself, his agent (surely acting on his permission), Dundee United or "a source close to".  This has been fairly widely publicised in the press most notably by the Courier. There was no need whatsoever for this, unless it was designed to instigate a move next month. Many clubs and players sign players on PCAs, including us, but very few publicise them so well in advance unless they're trying to pressurise the selling club into an early move. Not professional or courteous in my view.  Had the leak come from the player or his agent, without the approval of United it would have been very risky indeed. How would he know that United had the cash to sign him next month? He's bound to have known the fallout it would cause at Fir Park and if he didn't his agent certainly would know. It might have caused a rift with United.  No, the most likely explanation is that it came from United who used the press to their advantage. Now its no secret they want to strengthen their striking department next month.  Once the story had been leaked to a compliant journo before the window opened United, Watt and his agent could afford to lie low and keep quiet - job done. The leak had achieved its purpose, by pressurising our club.

I'm sure there's much more to this than I know and I may have made false assumptions but thats my take on it. 

   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, David said:

What exactly is annoying you about how it was done? The media getting hold of it? As far as I can tell nothing else has been denied or confirmed by the club or player, so I'm not sure what you expect from him?

Any club who does that to not only their top scorer, but the league's top scorer, is mental. Apart from the fact we'd be intentionally depriving ourselves of a very good player who we will be paying very good money by our own standards, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the squad? From what I gather, Watt is well liked and respected in the dressing room.

Unless the player gives the manager a reason to take such harsh action it shouldn't be considered. He's a Motherwell player, being paid by us until he signs for another club. 

So what's the moral of the story there? Don't show any ambition? Stay where you are and where there's less expected of you? Although, I don't think Dundee United will expect anything more of him than we have. There's not that huge a gulf between the clubs and their targets each season.

If Tony Watt is good enough to lead the scoring charts for Motherwell, he's good enough to do the same for Dundee United.

as i also said     time will tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all quite simple really,  Watt has turned down a new contract he no longer wants to be at Fir park so for me he should never play for us again, give him  4 months or so of warming the bench,  no game time and then wish him well in the summer when he goes to Tannadice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So his next deal is where he feels happy but yet he's meant to be happy where he is.lets be honest you don't move to dundee utd to enhance your ability,he's going for the money,which I don't have a problem with.i hope this is resolved and we can move on as soon as.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather he wasn't here after January as I can't be bothered with the debate that will come when he either plays or doesn't play. If he does play and isn't amazing, folk will go mental, if he doesn't play and Shields or KVV has a bad game (different) folk will go mental.

Cannae be doing with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mfc said:

So his next deal is where he feels happy but yet he's meant to be happy where he is.lets be honest you don't move to dundee utd to enhance your ability,he's going for the money,which I don't have a problem with.i hope this is resolved and we can move on as soon as.

I read that and couldn't quite fathom it out. If his move is about happiness, how can that equate to a move to a club he's never been at ?? Unless he gained some particular love for Dundee City Centre when he was at StJ, but in a footballing sense, he can have no idea whether he'll be happy at Utd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, David said:
 

If they can"t or won"t come up with the cash the player stays until the end of his contract, and trains with the youngsters and sits in the stand and watches the games from there.

Any club who does that to not only their top scorer, but the league's top scorer, is mental. Apart from the fact we'd be intentionally depriving ourselves of a very good player who we will be paying very good money by our own standards, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the squad? From what I gather, Watt is well liked and respected in the dressing room.

Unless the player gives the manager a reason to take such harsh action it shouldn't be considered. He's a Motherwell player, being paid by us until he signs for another club. 

 

Let's see if the manager agrees with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

It's all quite simple really,  Watt has turned down a new contract he no longer wants to be at Fir park so for me he should never play for us again, give him  4 months or so of warming the bench,  no game time and then wish him well in the summer when he goes to Tannadice.

If he's here after January and we're paying his wages, I'd be squeezing him (or any other player) for every ounce of effort we can get out of him.

Like I said earlier, I'd rather we moved on players who no longer want to play for us ASAP, but if they are taking my hard earned pounds for 4 months I'd prefer something to show for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Yes you are….well maybe not the only one.

I am  quite tolerant and level headed as most who know me would agree :-) 

But he has as much to thank Motherwell (if not more) than we have to thank him. I said over on P&B we gave him the right environment to flourish. He did not do so at St J or Hearts. He was fairly anonymous for both those teams. So flourish he does and is top goalscorer and as a result has netted a significant wage hike. Of course he has applied himself, but again he has had more clubs than I have baths in a year ! 

He is also going to a direct rival. So I simply don’t get this wishing him luck bollox. Enough luck that he scores 15 goals for United from Jan and they pip us to a European place. I mean really. I hope he scored very few goals and that he regrets this move. Bitter maybe but tbh I would feel that with any Motherwell player that jumps ship to a rival. Turnbull may be an exception, but again as he is at Celtic I find it hard to have warm fuzzy feelings towards him any longer. 

 

I make an exception for Turnbull without wishing his team great success at Celtic I bear him no I'll will whatsoever. He went out his way by signing a contract when he knew he could have left for nothing. He made sure the club got a hefty wedge and for that he should never be castigated by any Motherwell fan. He did right by us without doubt.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

I read that and couldn't quite fathom it out. If his move is about happiness, how can that equate to a move to a club he's never been at ?? Unless he gained some particular love for Dundee City Centre when he was at StJ, but in a footballing sense, he can have no idea whether he'll be happy at Utd.

So does that mean he was unhappy at Motherwell? Unhappiest badge Kisser I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×