David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

9 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am assuming Sadio Mane is waiting to announce he is signing for Motherwell. Or is it that our budget can afford Blair Spittal and not Mane ? Just an observation. 

We'll see how he goes in the final tonight before the jumping the gun....

Given that we have Cornelius, Maguire, Slattery and Goss in the middle of the park I was hoping we would sign someone with a bit more experience who could bring them on as players.  I don't see how he solves our problems in a 4-3-3 or facilitates a change to another system. 

Obviously you can only judge players on the park and transfer windows when they are complete but we were told quality over quantity this window so I think it's fair to ask how this signing fits into that plan. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Spittal is a better attacking mid option than any of the players we released.

Is he better than the ones we have a kept jury is out on that one For me he doesn’t bring the quality to improve the team just a squad player imo 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We'll see how he goes in the final tonight before the jumping the gun....

Given that we have Cornelius, Maguire, Slattery and Goss in the middle of the park I was hoping we would sign someone with a bit more experience who could bring them on as players.  I don't see how he solves our problems in a 4-3-3 or facilitates a change to another system. 

Obviously you can only judge players on the park and transfer windows when they are complete but we were told quality over quantity this window so I think it's fair to ask how this signing fits into that plan. 

It depends what your expectations are regarding the level of quality ?

12 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

It depends what your expectations are regarding the level of quality ?

Better than we have at the moment 

34 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Is he better than the ones we have a kept jury is out on that one For me he doesn’t bring the quality to improve the team just a squad player imo 

Add quality to the lightweight midfield we have now wouldn't be hard. Our piss poor midfield also contributes to our shocking defence as they get no protection. Cornelious and Tierney are still young and still lightweight. Donnelly is gone but was slow and basically a dead weight. McGuire so far is nothing special and for me the jury is out on him Shaw has gone back to Celtic but was iffy at best . Goss is OK. How the feck is he not an improvement on that.

24 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Better than we have at the moment 

Having been on this forum for a while now I’m not sure even that’s enough, some people’s expectations of incoming players seem to be higher than the reality is ever going to be.  Some asked for the better Championship level player, that was then not enough, established Premiership level players, not enough.  I’m sure we could all give a long list of the best Premiership players but I can pretty much guarantee not a single one of them would join us unless we offered stupid wages that would bankrupt the club moving forward. 

I think Spittal has always been a threat when he has played against us, even when coming off the bench. Certainly somebody I am wary of when he is on the pitch. Memory might be playing tricks but I seem to recall him scoring/assisting a few quality goals against us. And he is only in his mid 20s. He is certainly an upgrade on the likes of Roberts so in that sense the squad will be stronger. Worth a try in my opinion.

My only worry is that yet again we are faced with " this is a player who can play in a number of positions". At least it was not " this is a player who can play anywhere across the front three". I get that it is beneficial to have some players who can cover a few positions if need be, but I am hoping we sign a few players who excel in a particular position and will be the first names on the team sheet, in that preferred position. Holding Midfielder, Left Back/Wing Back as examples. Like Steelboy I am also hoping to see players signed that suggest a move away from 4-3-3 week in week out, or at least give it a better chance of being effective. Some teams do seem to make that formation work  but the quality of players they recruit are way way beyond our budget.  Liverpool, Celtic, Spurs as examples.

Regards Davis, at his age and with his experience I think he might be looking to move into a player/coach situation where his game time can be managed. More likely a better chance of that in Scotland than England although I think his family still live in the Southampton area. Perhaps a deal can be done and I have no doubt that every one of our midfield players would benefit from his presence off and on the pitch. Again worth a try if we can satisfy his wage demands within our budget.

I'm not sure spittal will improve the starting 11 but I think he's a better option to have in the squad than the likes of donnolly and ohara.

13 minutes ago, mfc said:

I'm not sure spittal will improve the starting 11 but I think he's a better option to have in the squad than the likes of donnolly and ohara.

I don't think Spittal is coming to Motherwell to warm the Bench every week, an experienced premiership player who likes to get forward, scored a few goals and had a good season with RC by all accounts for me he is better than Donnelly and O'Hara so will improve the team. 

Not a signing that has me salivating, but he has always looked good playing against us for County, so happy to wait and see what other business is done and where GA see's him fitting into the bigger picture. 

You can satisfy some of the people some of the time, but you can’t satisfy some on here any of the time . Unless we signed Lionel Messi on a four year deal. Then again he would probably be past it and no attacking enough.  I’m prepared to wait n see new signings actually play for us then judge after a couple of months.

59 minutes ago, stv said:

You can satisfy some of the people some of the time, but you can’t satisfy some on here any of the time . Unless we signed Lionel Messi on a four year deal. Then again he would probably be past it and no attacking enough.  I’m prepared to wait n see new signings actually play for us then judge after a couple of months.

You are obvs a novice.  This will never catch on. 

On this forum player signings are either varying degrees of underwhelming, poor or utter shite. 

You pick one of those 3 you will fit in well. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I don't think Spittal is coming to Motherwell to warm the Bench every week, an experienced premiership player who likes to get forward, scored a few goals and had a good season with RC by all accounts for me he is better than Donnelly and O'Hara so will improve the team. 

To think we let Donnelly go and still gets into the Northern Ireland squad, we don’t usually let internationalist go, it must be some squad we are going to have next season!!

7 hours ago, eddiemunster said:

If we are serious about retaining our place as champions of the crime count this year, we really need to sign a big dirty bastard in the midfield.  Someone unanimously hated across the division would be great.

Paul McGowan?

Maybe Donnelly will be one of those that you don't realize how good he is until he's gone. He seems to have a good reputation but other than his goal scoring patch I can only remember him letting runners stroll past him, and playing lazy hospital passes. He and O'Hara were the worst for those.

Both of them had lengthy periods out injured, and that seems to have been the case at their previous clubs too. Maybe their new team will solve that and they can have a whole season of ignoring runners.

Spittal is a decent signing, although it doesn't fit our 4-3-3 model, unless he's one of the front 3. He puts in a decent cross, and has some creativity, two things that we need, so I'm happy to see how this one pans out.

5 hours ago, stv said:

too right, I read one guy on twitter saying he was underwhmed by signing Spittal...I honestly don't know what some people's expectations are.Give the guy 20 mins and then judge.

If we did sign Messi , there are posters on here who would say he doesn't get back and defend.

I don't know how Spittal will turn out but he is a different kind of midfielder to O'Hara and Donnelly. Does this signal a change in tactics to allow us to play more through the middle?

33 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know how Spittal will turn out but he is a different kind of midfielder to O'Hara and Donnelly. Does this signal a change in tactics to allow us to play more through the middle?

That would be nice. Might help Slattery out a bit as well........

20 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

too right, I read one guy on twitter saying he was underwhmed by signing Spittal...I honestly don't know what some people's expectations are.Give the guy 20 mins and then judge.

If we did sign Messi , there are posters on here who would say he doesn't get back and defend.

Thats 19mins 30secs more than most new signings get to be judged

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Paul pogba is leaving Manchester United on a free transfer at the end of June, anyone reckon he could do a turn for us :D

Paul Pogba will leave Manchester United on free transfer - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61659836

He's apparently on just over 15 million a year basic, so if we made him one of our top earners an MFC annual salary would cover him for about 2 days.

I see Darren Randolph pulls in a cool 2.1 million pounds a year being third choice goalie at West Ham.  

5 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I see Darren Randolph pulls in a cool 2.1 million pounds a year being third choice goalie at West Ham.  

Nice work if you can get it. Is he still shagging a Saturday?

1 hour ago, The African said:

Nice work if you can get it. Is he still shagging a Saturday?

No he's not. He's mved on to Alexandra Burke, and he's going to be a daddy soon.