Jump to content

David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

 

We took a punt on Watt who had a terrible scoring record so why not do the same with Griffiths,

Watt wasnt trying to nonce underage girls via social media ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ML1 said:

Watt wasnt trying to nonce underage girls via social media ?

We gave a contract to Gallacher who did jail time for battering somebody with a baseball bat,and nobody gave a feck,  Griffiths wasn't convicted of anything, so is GBH OK with the fans but what Griffiths allegedly done not? Everybody deserves a second chance, and we need a goal scorer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We gave a contract to Gallacher who did jail time for battering somebody with a baseball bat,and nobody gave a feck,  Griffiths wasn't convicted of anything, so is GBH OK with the fans but what Griffiths allegedly done not? Everybody deserves a second chance, and we need a goal scorer.

Griffiths is finished and should be nowhere near Fir Park, he is a wasted talent just like Derek Riordan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Griffiths is finished and should be nowhere near Fir Park, he is a wasted talent just like Derek Riordan

Indeed. The reason I don't want Griffiths at Fir Park is the fact he flopped so spectacularly in league one with Falkirk. The off the field stuff would be the stuff making me uneasy if he was worth signing on the basis of his current form...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I don’t like Gallagher anymore he served his time got back playing and was playing to a high level for Livingston and yes everyone does deserve a second chance, so we signed him on the back of him being in the form of his life.

Griffiths on the other hand has had mental issues for what 4/5 years now? Went on loan to Dundee scored 2 goals in 15 league games and then 2 goals in 12 league games in league 1 for Falkirk and career rapidly dwindling downwards.

I’m probably as anxious as anyone for the season ahead with our squad seemingly thin on quality but let’s give it until the window is shut admittedly I’d have liked a signing before Sligo but not going to happen. Let’s stop chucking daft suggestions like Leigh Griffiths around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a quiet topic with the recent manager (he I will not name) departure, however I did see an article from more than one source saying we have signed the big goalie Aston Oxborough on a 3 year deal, does anyone know if that has now been kiboshed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wellfan91 said:

Been a quiet topic with the recent manager (he I will not name) departure, however I did see an article from more than one source saying we have signed the big goalie Aston Oxborough on a 3 year deal, does anyone know if that has now been kiboshed?

If we sign him, that means Kelly is off. Otherwise, why would we need 4 keepers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we want to loan out Matty Connolly to get some game time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wellfan said:

If we sign him, that means Kelly is off. Otherwise, why would we need 4 keepers?

Fox is apparently injured and we want to loan out Connelly.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wellfan91 said:

Fox is apparently injured and we want to loan out Connelly.....

Loaning out Connelly would make sense, although I foresee another PJ Morrison situation with him. 

If it's true Fox is injured, and we sign Oxborough, I guess we'll release Fox come May 2023. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasnt Fox on the bench on Sunday? It looked like him involved in the warm up with the other keepers.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Wasnt Fox on the bench on Sunday? It looked like him involved in the warm up with the other keepers.......

Yeah he has been but I don't think he's fit should Kelly leave or get injured.

The boy Oxborough certainly fills the goals, might not be a bad signing - hopefully we get it done and then allow the new manager to sign a couple of strikers and winger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goalkeepers

Kelly - class
Fox - ok
Connelly - ?

Defenders

SOD - ok
Carrol - injured and crap
Sol - crap
Mugabi - crap
Ojala - made of glass
Lamie - ok
McGinley - crap
McGinn - ok
Johnston - shows promise
Devine - ?

Midfielders

Maguire - acceptable
Spittal - acceptable
Slattery - ok
Goss - ok
Tierney - ok
Cornelius - ok

Forwards

KVV - ok
Shields - crap
Efford - crap
Morris - crap
Mahon - ?

Summary

A team of Motherwell's level will inevitably always have to carry some crap; however, we are overwhelmingly crap due to Alexander. We need to make a lot of signings or we're going down. We need, at least: 1x winger, 2x forwards, 2x centre backs, 1x left back, 1x creative midfielder and 1x big bastard tough guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wellfan said:

Goalkeepers

Kelly - class
Fox - ok
Connelly - ?

Defenders

SOD - ok
Carrol - injured and crap
Sol - crap
Mugabi - crap
Ojala - made of glass
Lamie - ok
McGinley - crap
McGinn - ok
Johnston - shows promise
Devine - ?

Midfielders

Maguire - acceptable
Spittal - acceptable
Slattery - ok
Goss - ok
Tierney - ok
Cornelius - ok

Forwards

KVV - ok
Shields - crap
Efford - crap
Morris - crap
Mahon - ?

Summary

A team of Motherwell's level will inevitably always have to carry some crap; however, we are overwhelmingly crap due to Alexander. We need to make a lot of signings or we're going down. We need, at least: 1x winger, 2x forwards, 2x centre backs, 1x left back, 1x creative midfielder and 1x big bastard tough guy. 

This current squad plus Tony Watt and Kayne Woolery showed itself capable of winning games in the SPL last season. It shows that the right couple of players makes a huge difference. As does confidence. Team looked terrified yesterday. We need 2 or 3 signings but they, along with the new manager, need to be able to lift the place.  For long spells last season, Mugabi looked solid with the occasional error. Yesterday he looked aghast any time the ball came near him.  As much as new signings, it's about getting guys already here playing to near their optimum.

Someone I know says that 8 average guys and 3 good players gets you top six, 8 average guys and 3 shiters gets you relegated.  I reckon we have at least 8 average guys. The next couple of signings, we have to get right...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Team looked terrified yesterday. We need 2 or 3 signings but they, along with the new manager, need to be able to lift the place. 

Thats true, but it doesn't help when players are played out of position.  Several looked very unsure of themselves yesterday because they were asked to fill roles for which they aren't suited, and I'm not referring to O'Donnell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thats true, but it doesn't help when players are played out of position.  Several looked very unsure of themselves yesterday because they were asked to fill roles for which they aren't suited, and I'm not referring to O'Donnell. 

Also true. I'm assuming you're looking at Spittal and possibly Shields. Spittal signing has Paul Lawson/Iain Vigurs feel to it. Signed a player who did well at another team and signed him with no thought as to where or how they fit into your team. Shields as a winger is far from ideal but lack of options there is an issue. 

Everyone else was played, more or less, in their position. With the exception of Morris who should have been playing in a car back down South...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Also true. I'm assuming you're looking at Spittal and possibly Shields.........Everyone else was played, more or less, in their position. With the exception of Morris who should have been playing in a car back down South...

You're right about Spittal and possibly Shields but I was thinking more of Morris and Maguire. Early days, but Morris hasn't impressed me. His career to date suggests a left sided midfielder, but thats not where Alexander and Hammell have played him. In the first half, he looked unsure what he was meant to be doing - no idea what instructions he had been given beforehand. Barry Maguire, a Championship level player at best but never a defensive central midfielder.  In short, the midfield was an absolute shambles until half time, and a bit better afterwards.  If we play a 4-3-3 then our best midfield is undoubtedly Slattery, Goss and Cornelius. I appreciate that only 2 of them were available yesterday.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

You're right about Spittal and possibly Shields but I was thinking more of Morris and Maguire. Early days, but Morris hasn't impressed me. His career to date suggests a left sided midfielder, but thats not where Alexander and Hammell have played him. In the first half, he looked unsure what he was meant to be doing - no idea what instructions he had been given beforehand. Barry Maguire, a Championship level player at best but never a defensive central midfielder.  In short, the midfield was an absolute shambles until half time, and a bit better afterwards.  If we play a 4-3-3 then our best midfield is undoubtedly Slattery, Goss and Cornelius. I appreciate that only 2 of them were available yesterday.     

We'll agree to disagree on Cornelius and Maguire. I actually think Maguire is the better player (granted he should be further ahead in his development than Cornelius due to age) but like a couple of players in the team, his confidence looks totally shot to pieces.  Cornelius, I think, is still a player with potential but don't know how he'll develop...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

We'll agree to disagree on Cornelius and Maguire. I actually think Maguire is the better player (granted he should be further ahead in his development than Cornelius due to age) but like a couple of players in the team, his confidence looks totally shot to pieces.  Cornelius, I think, is still a player with potential but don't know how he'll develop...

Both different types of player so hardly comparable for me. Maguire hasn’t the discipline & is rash for starters.

Adding experience there to aid their development was to be welcomed - we got Blair Spittal. Further compounds the problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Also true. I'm assuming you're looking at Spittal and possibly Shields. Spittal signing has Paul Lawson/Iain Vigurs feel to it. Signed a player who did well at another team and signed him with no thought as to where or how they fit into your team. Shields as a winger is far from ideal but lack of options there is an issue. 

Everyone else was played, more or less, in their position. With the exception of Morris who should have been playing in a car back down South...

Hope he's not like Vigurs biggest wage thief i've seen at Fir Park, think we need to give him some time but had expected more from him considering how many first team games he's played

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spittal wasn't needed,nor does he fit in,the same goes for morris plus he doesn't look upto it at this level.mcginn is decent enough but I still think it was a bit of a strange signing.the recruitment has been a disaster so far this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall we have 9-10 ok players.

one very good player in Kelly . 

we need to sign/have someone who can create and also someone who can score.

 we need to operate without players who are likely to cause goals/ ones we get away with 

fianlly we need to operate and play as a team , better than the sum of all parts . 
 

personally believe 4 decent signings together with a good manager will achieve these things and end up being a decent mid table team 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The strange thing for me is that it was so blatantly obvious what we needed for this season . 
A  left back ,a dominant centre half ,a defensive anchor , winger or wingers and a centre forward who plays in the box . 
. That’s five /six players in my reckoning that would need to come in and hit the ground running . 
As painful as it was to watch yesterday Hammy must have learned so much during that 90 mins . it was glaringly obvious .

1.Mugabi can’t be trusted , could have been sent off Again in his first tackle .

2.McGuire is never a defensive midfielder and his passing is shocking . Gogic or someone of that nature required to play that role .

3.Left back needed ASAP . Obviously

4. Centre forward that will play centre forward . Not left or right or chasing back to middle of park . 
5: Minimum of one winger but preferably two who can create chances and get us up the park .

I’m sure Hammy if he gets the job must/does know what is needed and the budget will dictate but not bringing in the players we need will cost us a lot more as relegation is a real threat this season with the current squad . 
Massive decisions for the board this week as it could determine or league status going forward . 
Think we’re at a watershed moment for our club and hopefully the board recognise the seriousness and act bravely 

 

 


 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×