Dundee United Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

Firstly well done the the small band of fans up in Dundee today, certainly the least we have took up there all season I'd say! Total waste of time and money for the fans who travelled up there. As many have mentioned yes we have a cup final in a few weeks but come on at least a bit of effort before the final, today was a waste of time and money for those who went. Hopefully we will see a better performance at least at home to Killie on Wednesday night!

not a lot to say about that, it looked like a game we were trying to get out the way. we didn't seem to have put any thought into how we were going attack with jeffers up front on his own and mainly just booted the ball long from randy. if we're going to put in a such a shite effort surely it wouldn't have hurt to play 2 up front?

hutchy had an utter mare and made daly look like drogba for their second goal. forbes was diabolical again and i can't see what future he has with us. on the brightside i thought tom hateley was decent and it was another good showing from carswell.

well that was a waste of time, money & effort, on the fans part, that is. expected better from the team played complete pish!!!!! we jokingly shouted to s.m. the team should get double training sessions & he aked why when it was soft goals we conceded, so i guess the defence were being blamed & they should get treble sessions maybe. the team were very poor, no passion, determination & defo no steel(men) must do better on wed. :help:

The result wont really matter Guys, its about the game time, but i know what you mean as regards the money people have paid out to get there.....Humphrey is getting his Game fitness up to speed, Gunning seems to have had a poor game along with the Fox in the box, just put it this way... Dundee Utd might get three points, but on the 21st May they will be on the sofa watching us run out at Hampdon.... Chins up!

Pretty much my thoughts. I was at today's game and it pretty much turned out how I expected. Very similar circumstances to last week's game. United had everything to play for and knew that 3 points would not be enough - they had to score goals; they were boosted by the Hearts result; they had two big chips on their shoulder; and were at full strength. On the other hand we had nothing to play for; were forced to fulfill a fixture we didn't want; wanted to rest players; those who were picked didn't want to get involved or injured.

The players themselves won't be affected by the result. They know fine well some of their experienced colleagues were rested and they'll know full well that they pulled out of challenges they would normally win.

No injuries today in a potentially extremely dangerous fixture and thats about all that matters. It doesn't make for good spectating though.

Little of significance in playing sense. Some odd selections and formations (Jeffers on own up front; Murphy on left and Jones on right); and an absolute shocker of a ref. Some fringe players did themselves no good, when they should have been trying to prove themslves for next season.

I can see Wednesday's game being played in a similar vein.

I know that others may not agree but I'm relaxed. The Final is all that matters now and the players and management know that.

The result wont really matter Guys, its about the game time, but i know what you mean as regards the money people have paid out to get there.....Humphrey is getting his Game fitness up to speed, Gunning seems to have had a poor game along with the Fox in the box, just put it this way... Dundee Utd might get three points, but on the 21st May they will be on the sofa watching us run out at Hampdon.... Chins up!

Pretty much my thoughts. I was at today's game and it pretty much turned out how I expected. Very similar circumstances to last week's game. United had everything to play for and knew that 3 points would not be enough - they had to score goals; they were boosted by the Hearts result; they had two big chips on their shoulder; and were at full strength. On the other hand we had nothing to play for; were forced to fulfill a fixture we didn't want; wanted to rest players; those who were picked didn't want to get involved or injured.

The players themselves won't be affected by the result. They know fine well some of their experienced colleagues were rested and they'll know full well that they pulled out of challenges they would normally win.

No injuries today in a potentially extremely dangerous fixture and thats about all that matters. It doesn't make for good spectating though.

Little of significance in playing sense. Some odd selections and formations (Jeffers on own up front; Murphy on left and Jones on right); and an absolute shocker of a ref. Some fringe players did themselves no good, when they should have been trying to prove themslves for next season.

I can see Wednesday's game being played in a similar vein.

I know that others may not agree but I'm relaxed. The Final is all that matters now and the players and management know that.

:angry:

Away yeez go!

Aye, we have had a good season, but the past 2 games av been an embarassment!

Last week, a did give them the benefit of the doubt, but Utd are at the same level as we are, and they made us look like a pub team today, and it coulda been more!!

If the players aren`t gona try a leg, they should let us no before we make our way (Or let us in for a fiver!) and save us the torture we witnessed.

Finger oot for Wed :angry:

If the players aren`t gona try a leg, they should let us no before we make our way (Or let us in for a fiver!) and save us the torture we witnessed.

Thats fair comment. I went to yesterday's game pretty well knowing how things would turn out, even if I couldn't predict the actual scoreline. However there were genuine travelling fans who expected a competitve game and that was never going to happen.

Wednesday night? Our biggest hope of a "competitive" match is if Killie decide 5th place has already been sealed and decide to rotate players. Otherwise a single goal or 2 goal loss is on the cards. Our best hope of making a fight of things is if Stuart MCall plays fringe players like Bob McHugh or Jonathan Page and tells them to prove themselves for next season.

Thats fair comment. I went to yesterday's game pretty well knowing how things would turn out, even if I couldn't predict the actual scoreline. However there were genuine travelling fans who expected a competitve game and that was never going to happen.

Wednesday night? Our biggest hope of a "competitive" match is if Killie decide 5th place has already been sealed and decide to rotate players. Otherwise a single goal or 2 goal loss is on the cards. Our best hope of making a fight of things is if Stuart MCall plays fringe players like Bob McHugh or Jonathan Page and tells them to prove themselves for next season.

At least you have not changed your view from last weekend Kmc but I still don't get it. Forgetting about the Cup Final for a minute, 5th place in the league would be worth some £90,000(so I believe anyway). Surely this is not money a team like Motherwell can afford to write off without a fight? That would be a decent players yearly wage.

Secondly, how often do we hear managers bemoan the lack of match fitness of players at the start of a new campaign or after a player has been out for a few weeks. The cup final will come 5 weeks after the Semi- Final and the way things are going our squad will not have kicked a ball in earnest in that space of time. It is a very dangerous and niaive strategy in my opinion. Anybody who has played football at any level will tell you that you cannot turn top end sharpness on and off at will. I think this current tactic is a real concern.

Rightly or wrongly the club and its management are clearly focusing on the Cup Final to the detriment of the league campaign. After the break, overtaking Killie was always going to be a steep uphill struggle. and I guess that the club quickly realised this. I agree though that this doesn't make for good spectating and fans have a right to think they're being short changed.

As for team selections and tactics, the squad has individual fitness problems as we all know. SM is clearly in the best position to decide who is fit and who isn't, who needs a rest and who needs match practice. Whilst I didn't agree with all SM's selection/tactial isuses yesterday or indeed in the Rangers game he will have had his reasons for taking them.

I'm confident that come the big day the team will be as prepared it can be and thats all we can ask.

One thing that did annoy me yesterday was that United, although they knew what was happening, continued putting the boot in even after they were 3-0 up. There really was no need for it and it could have cost us big time.

Make no mistake here.

Come the final, every player has to be close to playing at their peak if we have any chance of winning.

My main concern is, if players are going through the motions for a 3 week period are they capable of hitting 100% on the day.

The players selected might think they are up for the match, but poor results, players hiding and positional and formation tinkering must have a bearing.

Personally, I would prefer every player bursting a gut in all matches since the semi and taking their chances on the injury front.

The '91 team never held back prior to the final and that included at training.

If we don't turn up on cup final day, we've potentially lost it in our preparation.

I really hope S.M. is calling this one correct.

My belief is we wll see our Hampden 11 start on Wed against Killie, all being fit. We need to get back to the football we played previously against Utd and in the semi final. The game at Parkhead will take care of itself and I think how Celtic do today is more important.

Personally I am over the moon with what we have achieved this season given the mid season upset etc.

'Mon the 'Well.

Rightly or wrongly the club and its management are clearly focusing on the Cup Final to the detriment of the league campaign. After the break, overtaking Killie was always going to be a steep uphill struggle. and I guess that the club quickly realised this. I agree though that this doesn't make for good spectating and fans have a right to think they're being short changed.

A point yesterday (from a team we have had in our back pocket recently) and a home win against Killie would more than likely have seen us in 5th. Hardly an uphill struggle.

Make no mistake here.

Come the final, every player has to be close to playing at their peak if we have any chance of winning.

My main concern is, if players are going through the motions for a 3 week period are they capable of hitting 100% on the day.

Same concern as me. A different sport I know, but in the American football over here, it's not unusual for teams to struggle the game after they have a bye-week - and we seem to be having 2 or 3.

Celtic are having to fight to keep their title hopes alive and keeping a competitive edge until the last ball of the season is kicked.

We are playing a dangerous game.

Far to much tinkering from McCall to make sure players are fit for the final. I can understand it up to a point, but we have now been totally slaughtered two games in a row and football is a confidence based game.

Full squad against Killie and a good win is the least I expect.