Motherwell Vs Celtic

postiejim

We turned up which is the main thing. And a draw would have been a more accurate reflection. Pretty gutted that we lost it.

The 'physical Motherwell' stuff all over the ESPN coverage after watching it back is tremendous.

Kayal, Stokes, Myscarybitch, Commons & Forrest are like their mingin support. Despicable, smelly, cheating c***s

Cutting edge was sadly lacking from us for long spells of that game. I don't necessarily think it was the forwards' fault though - I think as a general rule our midfield and forward line are too far apart when we are in possession. That means no matter what Higdon does with the balls played to him, Celtic will as a minimum win the second ball.

Agreed, this is the case in most of our home games. Celtic deserved to win... just. they put in that little bit more effort, showed a little bit more aggression and were a bit more confident. They also showed a bit more solidity and reliability. Celtic's second goal was typical of the goals we lose to the OF. To beat the OF they have to be at their poorest, we have to be at our best and the ref has to be 100% fair. None of those 3 conditions were met today. A bit surpised that Shaun Hutchinson was benched and we missed his height badly both in defence and at set pieces. SM was perhaps 10 -15 minutes slow to take off a completely exhausted Jamie Murphy. Jamie again turned in a confusing undisciplined performance popping up in almost all of the outfield positions at some point.

Too often our attack at home is toothless and Michael Higdon really does need another striker alongside him.

We were just a bit short of the standard required to earn a point today. Still we set out in the main to nullify Celtic and succeeded in limiting them to 2 goals. The result is what it is and we avoided a confidence sapping hammering.

Agreed, this is the case in most of our home games. Celtic deserved to win... just. they put in that little bit more effort, showed a little bit more aggression and were a bit more confident. They also showed a bit more solidity and reliability. Celtic's second goal was typical of the goals we lose to the OF. To beat the OF they have to be at their poorest, we have to be at our best and the ref has to be 100% fair. None of those 3 conditions were met today. A bit surpised that Shaun Hutchinson was benched and we missed his height badly both in defence and at set pieces. SM was perhaps 10 -15 minutes slow to take off a completely exhausted Jamie Murphy. Jamie again turned in a confusing undisciplined performance popping up in almost all of the outfield positions at some point.

Too often our attack at home is toothless and Michael Higdon really does need another striker alongside him.

We were just a bit short of the standard required to earn a point today. Still we set out in the main to nullify Celtic and succeeded in limiting them to 2 goals. The result is what it is and we avoided a confidence sapping hammering.

I wouldn't say Murphy was undisciplined. He spent the majority of the match tracking Celtic's right back. No wonder he was knackered. We could do with a slightly more balanced playing style where the grafters graft and our creative players are allowed to focus their energy on creating.

Murphy is slowly being destroyed imo.

Today proved to me that football games are won in the mind as much as they are won on the park. Put that Celtic starting 11 on the park in black and white and call them St Mirren and we would have won that game today.

The first Celtic goal was a shocker to lose and was down simply to panicking after scoring the first goal. Celtic had shown nothing to that point and showed nothing (but for a touch of brilliance from McCourt) thereafter. A bit of composure after the first goal and we would have seen a different result today.

Laslay's booking was the critical moment for me. Nonsensical decision that meant Las was walking a tightrope. He had to pull out of a challenge on McCourt at the start of the mazy run leading to their second.

At least we competed today and to be honest I feel ok about the result tonight. Times are good for the Well.

Agreed, this is the case in most of our home games. Celtic deserved to win... just. they put in that little bit more effort, showed a little bit more aggression and were a bit more confident. They also showed a bit more solidity and reliability.

Most of that I agree with but I can't agree Celtic put in more effort. Every single Motherwell player to me gave their absolute all today, the heads never dropped and never hid and for all that they all get a pat on the back.

I wouldn't say Murphy was undisciplined. He spent the majority of the match tracking Celtic's right back. No wonder he was knackered. We could do with a slightly more balanced playing style where the grafters graft and our creative players are allowed to focus their energy on creating.

Murphy is slowly being destroyed imo.

I think he played the role he was asked to play in a very indisciplined manner. Whether he was asked to perform the correct role is another debate. He tracked a right back that didn't need tracking half the time and ended up far too close to Hammell when he should have been trying to get close to Higdon. Some of that may be down to Celtic's movement however he always ends up much closer to Higdon when we are away and hence we get more out of both of them and he needs to try and replicate that at Fir Park. But I agree Murphy hasn't had a good game at Fir Park since the opening day yet he is frequently very good when we are on the road. His inconsistency will hold his career back.

I think McCall's ethos is that no matter where you play you graft. Whilst the likes of Murphy and Law are maybe better at creating I like that they dig in as well. Its what makes us such a tough nut to crack. I think he does the grafting pretty well though his problem is so many teams now come to Motherwell to soak up the pressure and it makes it much harder for him to create.

Feel a bit aggrieved that we got nothing out the game, we put plenty in throughout the game and I reckon a draw would've been fair. You could see by the way Shellic were moaning, diving and conducting themselves that they felt the pressure, and knew that they had to win at all costs. Lennon was his usual annoying self on thr touchline, but as seems to be the way after last season, no-one has the guts to challenge him any more.

Richmond was very generous towards Shellic in my view, lots of wee fouls given their way due to their propensity to go down easily and moan like hell in his ear. We needed someone stronger to stand up to them and not be so easily conned.

Disappointed we conceded so quickly after going in front, especially as it was through carelessness in possession that lead to the corner. Samaras was total shite, and my concern was that when McCourt came on he'd bring a whole host of different problems, and so it proved.

Ach well, sitting 3rd JOINT 2nd aint so bad. As long as we recover from this and take points against the Sheep, United and Hibby's then fine. Onwards and upwards.

evilgrin.gif

i think we need to play murphy right up front beside higdon to get the best out of him and let him do damage in a central area rather than floating about the left hand side and big higdon would also benefit having murphy closer to him to play off his flicks and touches.murphy does a power of work for the team and at times this season he looks knackered in games hopefully with the break coming up he gets the rest he needs

From the SPL website, looks like Lennon's rants about refs being too hard on Celtic are working. They are the only team with less than 20 yellow cards to their name.

Team Yellow Cards

Celtic - 11

Dundee Utd - 20

Motherwell - 20

Rangers - 20

Dunfermline - 21

Aberdeen - 24

Kilmarnock - 24

St Mirren - 24

Inverness CT - 26

St Johnstone - 26

Hearts - 27

Hibernian - 29

Brazilian, I'm certain he was on the park and I'll be honest in saying I don't notice what opposing teams managers do when their team score. I think that like McCall they are probably a bit low key and less attenion seeking and dare I say a wee bit mire respectful. Lennon is an attention whore and wants the camera on himself all the time.

Spot on Finlay.

TV footage shows the hated one did enter the field of play, and more than once ........ supposed to be taboo Mr 4th Official.

I certainly do not approve of the death threats, the bullets, the dodgy parcels and the assaults, but I disapprove even more the SPL's current kid-gloves approach to Nei Lennon.

As said before, he has no idea how to conduct himself around the field of play, and it's about time the authorities clobbered him for his encrouchments on the playing field during game time and inhibited his gladiator style post match performances before some other idiot jumps the wall and has a go at this antogonistic eejit.

Spot on Finlay.

TV footage shows the hated one did enter the field of play, and more than once ........ supposed to be taboo Mr 4th Official.

I certainly do not approve of the death threats, the bullets, the dodgy parcels and the assaults, but I disapprove even more the SPL's current kid-gloves approach to Nei Lennon.

As said before, he has no idea how to conduct himself around the field of play, and it's about time the authorities clobbered him for his encrouchments on the playing field during game time and inhibited his gladiator style post match performances before some other idiot jumps the wall and has a go at this antogonistic eejit.

maybe their thinking is instead of being accused of "picking" on him, leading to the great unwashed idolising him more, best to ignore the wee fecker as he won't be around much longer!

I think he played the role he was asked to play in a very indisciplined manner. Whether he was asked to perform the correct role is another debate. He tracked a right back that didn't need tracking half the time and ended up far too close to Hammell when he should have been trying to get close to Higdon. Some of that may be down to Celtic's movement however he always ends up much closer to Higdon when we are away and hence we get more out of both of them and he needs to try and replicate that at Fir Park. But I agree Murphy hasn't had a good game at Fir Park since the opening day yet he is frequently very good when we are on the road.

You've stolen the words from my keyboard. A good part of Jamie Murphy's problem is the role in which he's being used. He may also be playing poorly at home - its hard to say. If we must play with a lone striker at home then Jamie Murphy has to support Michael Higdon far more than he is doing. Time and again MH was looking forlonly for someone to pick up his flicks and knock downs to no avail. I genuinely thought that Jamie was meant to be supporting him but more often than not he ended up supporting Steve Hammell instead, and its not just in OF games he does this.

Hopefully, that result will kill all the talk about 'splitting the old firm' and refocus on finishing top 6.

So you'd be happy with a 6th spot finish?

Bollocks to that after this start.

Not suggesting splitting Old Firm is realistic but if we don't make Europe then it will be hugely dissapointing. I'd be gutted even finishing 5th this season

Agree with tht post..3 big games coming up 2 at home a chance to really kick on for 3rd spot and get Auld Broon the sack too. Onwards and upwards indeed. :thumbup:

Id rather all 3 were away from home tbh. We know Hibs & Utd will come and park the bus & we don't have the creativity to break them down. Our home form is fairly poor & we really struggle to score.

Dunno why people are moaning about Lennon's celebrations at the end. The guy knows if he doesn't win he's on the dole & he get's a late winner to keep his job so of course he's gonna celebrate & i don't think there's a manager in the league wouldn't do the same. Just coz he's an arse & no one likes him doesn't mean he's got no right to celebrate his team winning a tough game with a late goal. Maybe if he wore blue people here wouldn't mind as much :nod:

Just read the post about Smeltic having fewer cards than everybody else in the league and it brought to mind a guy who was on one of the phone ins last week who had found statistics somewhere which had worked out how many fouls it took for every team to get a yellow card.

Almost everybody in the league get about 6 or 7 fouls per yellow card but the great unwashed have something like 13.5 before a card appears. Seems their continual whingeing last season is paying off big time.

Don't know where the guy got the numbers and I presume he is also a bluenose to phone in but it makes interesting reading.

I suppose some sad soul could sit and get the number of fouls against each team from the papers and divide it by the number of cards received to see if its correct but I can't be A***d.

Mon the Dossers.

Not suggesting splitting Old Firm is realistic but if we don't make Europe then it will be hugely dissapointing. I'd be gutted even finishing 5th this season

Agreed. I think it's fair to say that a top 4 finish shouldn't be out of the question, and certainly what we should be aiming for now.

Just read the post about Smeltic having fewer cards than everybody else in the league and it brought to mind a guy who was on one of the phone ins last week who had found statistics somewhere which had worked out how many fouls it took for every team to get a yellow card.

Almost everybody in the league get about 6 or 7 fouls per yellow card but the great unwashed have something like 13.5 before a card appears. Seems their continual whingeing last season is paying off big time.

Always been that way, seem to recall someone contributing a similar stat to OSB a few years ago.

Always been that way, seem to recall someone contributing a similar stat to OSB a few years ago.

Celtic have always been quite clever when dishing out treatment to players.

I'm sure there was a stat when we played them at parkhead with faddy in the team, that every outfield player had fouled him before halftime!

Also, it's unfair on Celtic, because as you seen on Saturday - when somebody fouls them it's really really sore.

And on top of that they seem to be so in tune with each other that they all feel it - and leap in pain as one.

In fact even their brrrrriiiillliant fans feel the pain.

So lay off the sellick ya bastds

I didn't say that - I said we need to refocus on finishing top 6. That is the first step towards getting into European football. The sooner we secure top 6 the more likely we are to finish higher up the league.

You're reading something I didn't say

Not suggesting splitting Old Firm is realistic

So you agree with exactly what I said, then.

As a club, our first aim is to be top 6. Nowhere did I say it should be our only aim. You need to work on those hand reading skills :P

Don't know where the guy got the numbers and I presume he is also a bluenose to phone in but it makes interesting reading.

I suppose some sad soul could sit and get the number of fouls against each team from the papers and divide it by the number of cards received to see if its correct but I can't be A***d.

Mon the Dossers.

Noticed this myself yesterday. Unfortunately my brother is a celtic fan and had the cheek to say they were playing 12 men today! According to the sky sports stats I seen, they commited 20 fouls and received 1 yellow card where as we commited 8 and received 2 yellows and a red... so I can only assume he felt hard done by because they struggled for 80 minutes and their usual penalty never arrived.

Noticed this myself yesterday. Unfortunately my brother is a celtic fan and had the cheek to say they were playing 12 men today! According to the sky sports stats I seen, they commited 20 fouls and received 1 yellow card where as we commited 8 and received 2 yellows and a red... so I can only assume he felt hard done by because they struggled for 80 minutes and their usual penalty never arrived.

Other way around mate. We committed 20, and them 8. I think Las and Jennings committed 8 fouls between them in the first 25 minutes! The referee was very kind to us yesterday - especially the two named midfielders.