Motherwell Vs Rangers Discussion Thread

Ianc

It wasn't just the rotation, though. They were obviously under orders not to get injured or suspended before the Cup Final and played out the season like pre-season friendlies.

Sadly they were just as flat in the Final.

However, I'm hopeful and excited for Saturday. We have the best league home form in British football (5 games, 5 wins) so let's be positive about the up coming match because the support has a part to play if we are going to do this.

Like one or two others I think we got it wrong at the end of last season in our build up to the final ,it cost us ,but that was last season this is now a different scenario, now its all about where we finish in the league . Last year every game was a like a friendly match up to the final, this year every game is now like a cup final starting on Saturday against Rangers .A win would be great but I would take a point ....a heavy defeat though is unacceptable.

We have a very small squad and have used a core of 13-14 players pretty much all season. Last season about this time we ran out of legs and their was no energy in our performances and that's one of the major problems with a small squad you have too many players toiling in the final straight.

If your form is good you can keep it going, but when you have to pick yourself up after defeats that's when the problems start.

It's not so much we have to beat Rangers, more we have to get going again quickly after last week. If we lose two on the trot I can see us going into a sustained dip in energy and form and with St. Johnstone and Dundee Utd on our trail again that could be fatal.

Also remember 3 of our final 7 matches are against the Old Firm. We need to get rid of this hoodoo on Saturday.

We can also remember that St Johnstone have to play OF 3 of their final 7 matches. Dundee utd have 2 of their final 7 matches against the OF. Having already beaten Rangers twice what's the chances of them beating rangers 3 times in the one season?

Then of course we all have to play each other.

We are 5 and 8 ahead of our rivals. I think we will go into thesplit with at least a 5 point cushion. Thats a pretty decent margin considering there will only be 15 points up for grabs

The simplest way for the lads to approach Saturday is to avoid doing whatever we've done against them in the last few years!! None of that has worked, so it seems to me the only tactic left to adopt is the old 'dogs of war' approach! Get fired right into them from kick off, don't allow them time on the ball and work like trojans for the full 90 minutes. Yes we will tire, hopefully we will use the correct subs at the correct time to counter this.

I have faith in our team, they are an honest bunch of triers who will sometimes play shite but who have, for the most part, given us a very good season. However, there will be no excuses for another limp, lifeless, gutless and soul destroying defeat against this shoddy Gers mob. I will deal with defeat on the proviso that our team have given everything and ran them close. Anything else is unacceptable.

Team wise Las will return for Carswell, but I'm toying with the idea of putting Ojamaa on the bench. He hasn't reached his highest standard over the past few weeks, and perhaps starting from the bench will give him a wee jolt, and allow someone like Daley the chance to impress again.

No prediction, it's just not worth it!!

I agree with almost everything you say but the bit in bold concerns me. It is how Motherwell should go about it but it is almost impossible to do so without possible sending's off. I don't buy the conspiracy theories but I do buy the argument that it is easier for a Scottish referee to make a decision against a non Old Firm team than for them.

I believe that Lasley and Jennings have now, wrongly, been labelled as ones for the watching. A slight prejudice on the ref's part against those two players and a 4000+ vocal, emotional away support makes it very easy for a referee to justify in his own mind yellow and possible red cards.

I think Jennings and Lasley in particular have a really hard task ahead of them on saturday. Taking control of the midfield without giving the ref even a hint of a reason to book them is going to be a really tough task. Given to that McCulloch will charge about like a bull in a china shop commiting foul after foul without so much as a warning will add to a difficult midfield to play in. It is for this reason that i think that Motherwell have no chance on Sat.

Is anyone else absolutely shiting it? Not about the Rangers game, but about the run in? The reward for finishing 3rd is potentially absolutely huge for a small club like us, and we've been there pretty much ALL season, it would be a massive kick in the nads to be pipped to it. As scary as it is, as nervous as I am about every game, I'm absolutely loving the position we're in! I just hope to fuck we can hold on to 3rd for 7 more games.

Please, please, PLEASE don't fuck this up Motherwell.

• Like 1

Is anyone else absolutely shiting it? Not about the Rangers game, but about the run in?

I fear the worst because I've seen us throw things away before, but at the end of the day we'll get it if we continue to play well enough, and if we don't, we won't. Unless we miss out on 3rd on goal difference or something, I doubt I'll be too disappointed whatever happens.

Is anyone else absolutely shiting it? Not about the Rangers game, but about the run in? The reward for finishing 3rd is potentially absolutely huge for a small club like us, and we've been there pretty much ALL season, it would be a massive kick in the nads to be pipped to it. As scary as it is, as nervous as I am about every game, I'm absolutely loving the position we're in! I just hope to fuck we can hold on to 3rd for 7 more games.

Don't worry. Utd and Saints will start to stutter when they get close. It's easy enough playing catch up, it's harder to see it through once you get there. Well will be at least 3rd this season even if they lose on Saturday.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I was thinking today. Playing catch up is easy, question is would they handle things any better than us being in our position? I doubt it. You can be sure the players and management will be busting a gut to secure at least third, and if we don't, it won't be for the lack of trying.

I would much rather be in our situation than Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, St. Mirren & ICT whose seasons are over.

We have a very small squad and have used a core of 13-14 players pretty much all season. Last season about this time we ran out of legs and their was no energy in our performances and that's one of the major problems with a small squad you have too many players toiling in the final straight.

If your form is good you can keep it going, but when you have to pick yourself up after defeats that's when the problems start.

It's not so much we have to beat Rangers, more we have to get going again quickly after last week. If we lose two on the trot I can see us going into a sustained dip in energy and form and with St. Johnstone and Dundee Utd on our trail again that could be fatal.

Also remember 3 of our final 7 matches are against the Old Firm. We need to get rid of this hoodoo on Saturday.

Don't forget last season began early because we had 6 games in Europe. We had 2 cup runs with a semi and a final. We probably played more games than most.

I think people are overreacting to the Kilmarnock defeat because up until then we had lost 1 game in 9. I don't think it's our players we need to worry about because it seems to be the fans that are shiting it. Give me our position over that of St Johnstone and Dundee United's any day of the week.

• Like 4

Don't forget last season began early because we had 6 games in Europe. We had 2 cup runs with a semi and a final. We probably played more games than most.

I think people are overreacting to the Kilmarnock defeat because up until then we had lost 1 game in 9. I don't think it's our players we need to worry about because it seems to be the fans that are shiting it. Give me our position over that of St Johnstone and Dundee United's any day of the week.

Your spot on mate :drinks:

VIPSTAND.EU and Firstrowsports.EU .

eplsite.com and atdhenet.tv typically have good streams too.

Cheers for the links, lads. The game will be on at 6pm here, hoping for a decent performance for a change.

Yeah I'd be willing to start Daley instead of Ojamaa tomorrow. Daley and Humphrey have rarely been on the pitch together at the same time and on Saturday there were brief glimpses of them using their pace to combine well. Obviously bring Lasley back in for Carswell, the lad's done nothing wrong, but you play your best players.

As pointed out when results have been needed, we have done well this season, but the likes of last weekend going as badly as it possibly could didn't help us. Dundee Utd have beaten Rangers twice this season whilst St. Johnstone have beaten Celtic and drawn with Rangers. After the split we all have them to play twice and you could say they have shown they can take points off the Old Firm, but you could also say it would be unlikely they took any more.

Speaking from my head, not my heart, I think this weekend will end up with us five points clear of both St. Johnstone and Dundee United. I think Rangers will beat us, Celtic will beat St. Johnstone and Dundee United will beat Dunfermline.

Yeah I'd be willing to start Daley instead of Ojamaa tomorrow.

Nah, cannae agree with that in the slightest. As much as Ojamaa hasn't been worth the wankfest he's received and has looked out of form the last couple of weeks, he's still the one player who could unlock the Rangers defence, even if it's just in one moment. Daley, on the other hand, has been largely poor when he's played.

The problem with Daley is that he has absolutely no defensive awareness about him whatsoever. The game at Tynecastle earlier in the season for instance - Hateley had his worst game for Motherwell and there are no excuses for that, but Daley being absolutely no where near him during every Hearts attack hardly helped matters.

Rangers are still a good side when they can play their starting eleven, and Daley's complete lack of either defensive ability or interest means that it would be a very risky move to play him on either flank.

Just been thinking about the Ojamaa thing... Imagine the fright Rangers would get at 70 Mins. 0-0 with a triple substitution of Ojamaa, Humphrey AND Omar all coming on...

I don't imagine it would be that great a fright in all honesty.

The problem with Daley is that he has absolutely no defensive awareness about him whatsoever. The game at Tynecastle earlier in the season for instance - Hateley had his worst game for Motherwell and there are no excuses for that, but Daley being absolutely no where near him during every Hearts attack hardly helped matters.

Rangers are still a good side when they can play their starting eleven, and Daley's complete lack of either defensive ability or interest means that it would be a very risky move to play him on either flank.

Daley is a comlete waste of a wage ,and I agree Rangers are still a strong side who will be to good for us ,our players lack the bottle when it comes to playing Rangers .