Champions League Simplified

B.K.

I have been a season ticket holder on and off for twenty years and at the moment I can't see myself shelling out £30 for what I see as a glorified friendly. It's all very well saying that we should all dig deep as our clubs faces tough financial times. But what this ignores is that many families are facing equally tough times.

Having said that, I don't mind the idea of buying an extra programme/pie/drink when I have the cash. What I do object to is the fact that the club are taking advantage of the fact that many supporters would pay anything because "it's the champions league".

Well, I hate the champions league. To get excited about it, would be hypocrisy. The prospect of us qualifying at the expense of others was amusing but I'm not that excited. I'd compare it to The Smiths first manager who said he got ridiculously excited when they got on Top Of The Pops, then remembered he thought it was crap...

That's just me. But I'm pretty sure there will be others who feel the same. So it might not be only floating hunters they put off with this..

You are totally missing the point. WE all will dig deep and pay the price of a ticket to this match......but an opportunity to get cash from people they don't usually has gone imo.

Do you really think we would have attracted a large number of people who don't normally attend Fir Park for a game against Fenerbache or Brugge? Genuine question, by the way.

You are totally missing the point. WE all will dip deep and pay the price of a ticket to this match......but an opportunity to get cash from people they don't usually has gone imo.

Your cash is as good as there's is...

We had 10,000 odd against Odense, has it improved our attendences over the last few years? We had an extra few thousand for the esentially free replayed game against Hibs, did that improve our attendances over the last few months? Did it bollocks.

You can talk all you like about bringing your aunties, uncles, mums, dads, husband, wife or wee Joe fae doon the road to this game or that, they ain't coming back anytime soon. The clubs has tried multiple deals down the years and they generally show, then when it's back to reality the piss off again. We had St.Johnstone last season, 3 o'clock kick off at Fir Park. Massive game in the race for Champions League, how many turned up? 4,743. Where were all the floating fans then?

I'm sure the club like all of us would love to have Fir Park full to the rafters and bouncing, however the clubs needs money and having 7000 fans paying £30 will be more profitable than 10,000 paying £20. The club has tried time and time again to try and get these fans to come back. They haven't and it won't change anytime soon. They'll turn up for big cup games and the glamorous European ties but they aren't going to be there on a freezing winter's day at home to some middling SPL dross.

Like it or not this is a money making exercise for a club that desperatley needs it. They've set a price in which I'm sure they believe they'll make a maximum profit. The board haven't just plucked the figures out the air, this is the route they believe will earn the club the most money. And as much as we all love(well most of us) the romance of the idea of a wee team like us being in the big time this was always going to be about money.

Sadly that's just the way football is these days, and how it will be for the foreseeable future in Scotland. I know times are hard, and that's why the club will continue to rely on the 4-5,000 or so hard core fans and the rest will continue to 'float' regardless of what deals the club throws there way.

• Like 4

£30 is at the top end of the scale, but it is Champions league.

As much as Melvyn thinks it is a glorified friendly I and most fans on here did not get excited and worried in equal measure last season at qualifying for a meaningless friendly. Personally I would have been GUTTED had we blown the chance and possibly the only one we will ever get to play in the Champions League. Hell it is worth it to wind up fellow diddies such as St Mirren fans - have you ever played in the Champions league :evilgrin:

I will be there and really looking forward to the draw and all the attention focussed on our wee club.

This club needs your support more than ever now. We paid £5 for the DDee Utd game and although it was largely meaningless - you could look it as £35 for the 2 games. You cannot take with one hand and not give with another....

Stu - Regarding fans wanting to attend even if it is against a 'lesser' team, I think so. Champions League brand at Fir Park is a rarity. Actual numbers though.........

Well 4 Europe - You misunderstand. I'm mot discussing the point that we would be looking to hook the people who attend the CL game for life or even for the rest of the season. I think the pricing might put people off attending this ONE match.....and as you say my money is as good as their money. 7,000 fans.......wouldn't be a bad shout at those prices. However, I'd hoped for a bit nearer 13,000. If the pricing had been a bit lower I think that could have been achievable.

Well 4 Europe - You misunderstand. I'm mot discussing the point that we would be looking to hook the people who attend the CL game for life or even for the rest of the season. I think the pricing might put people off attending this ONE match.....and as you say my money is as good as their money. 7,000 fans.......wouldn't be a bad shout at those prices. However, I'd hoped for a bit nearer 13,000. If the pricing had been a bit lower I think that could have been achievable.

You definitely have a point Finlay, but you do pay a premium for tickets for all shows/concerts/matches where it is a one off - which for us - Champions league probably is.

To put it into perspective last year I watched Arsenal play Marseille at the Emirates + I went to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea beat Napoli 4-1 in the Champions League.

The Arsenal tickets were around £55 each and the Chelsea tickets were even more expensive than that :nod:

I understand what you're saying mate, and as I said we all want Fir Park as close to full as possible. However the club needs the money and they feel this is the best way to maximise their profits on this match. They might have got more fans, however if they gamble and they don't get the figures they'd hoped for then it's an oppurtunity lost.

As I said earlier, these prices weren't just chosen at random. They've been chosen because the board have assesed the situation and they feel this is they way to make the most money out of this game.

no

The money is mental if you make it to the group stage though. I read this on UEFA site for the 2010/2011 competition.

Each of the 32 clubs taking part in the UEFA Champions League group stage that kicks off on Tuesday will receive a participation bonus of €3.9m, plus a match bonus of €550,000 per group game played. On top of that, the following performance bonuses will be paid: €800,000 for every win and €400,000 for every draw in the group stage

You keep your gate receipts on top of all that plus your distribution of telly revenue.

Tasty.

its unbelievable that the same names that having been going on about sporting integrity at any price for weeks on end are moaning about paying an extra tenner :wallbash:

OK - I'm intrigued. What has an extra £10 got to do with sporting integrity....

Welldaft Mk1, a wee bit different in stadia, players, position in the tourney etc. though. I attended MCFC's very first CL game against Napoli at the Etihad. £25 a ticket. Didn't sell out. Obviously finances were different on this occasion and their fanbase is a bit of an enigma at times.

I used to regularly attend comedy gigs at the SECC. When stand up comedy became the next big thing and prices went from £20 to £30 I stopped going.......even when it was a comedian I liked that I hadn't seen before. It wasn't just £30. Two tickets takes it to £60 plus petrol, food and drink etc. You could be looking at over £100. Same could be said about this game.......and if you are a not a regular attendee or have fallen out of the habit that fiver or tenner per ticket difference COULD be the deciding factor.

OK - I'm intrigued. What has an extra £10 got to do with sporting integrity....

these tickets costs are the price of sporting integrity.

the club will lose income if the newco aren't allowed in. they have to replace that income from somewhere else. any motherwell fan who is suprised that the shortfall is going to have to come out their own pocket is an idiot.

Like it or not this is a money making exercise for a club that desperatley needs it. They've set a price in which I'm sure they believe they'll make a maximum profit.

Yip.

Anyone who has a gripe about paying the extra tenner needs reminding that over the last few years Motherwell have consistently offered some of the lowest (if not the lowest) season ticket prices in the league as well as regular offers/reduced prices for key games. Add that to the bonkers wellevate scheme and I think we're doing ok.

If someone had said to you 12 months ago - Give me £30 and you can watch Motherwell play a Champions League game and also have a say in banishing "rangers" from the SPL as payback for years of cheating the taxpayer and the rest of Scottish football - are you telling me you would have said no? if the pledge to support the club through tough times falls apart before the vote even takes place then following the no vote might just be that little bit harder for those who are wavering behind the scenes. it is far too much for a football match but it's a one-off game in extraordinary circumstances. whether we get pumped in the away leg first or not, the home leg ought to be a celebration of the achievement of getting to the Champions League with the smallest squad in the league (and without dodging taxes). i did take a sharp intake of breath when i saw the price but this is the reality now - it's either justice for Scottish football and pay £30 or pay about £22 and accept that "Rangers" are beyond reproach. Just think how much you have paid to watch Motherwell lose against Rangers for 10 years now when the odds were even more stacked against us than we realised. i resent having to pay money for that punishment looking back and I would resent paying money to watch motherwell play a revamped rangers next season. when i think back to watching motherwell play in the champions league in future years i won't remember how much it cost.

• Like 4

Club has taken the plaudits when they have reduced prices for games, but not this time, i'm afraid this is blatant case of profiteering from Motherwell f.c the family club.

Fuck me. Who is making a profit here? We're effectively on the brink and you say the club are 'profiteering'. If this is how the fans react to high ticket prices for a massive game, I worry the board will just think, 'you know what, there's no chance the fans are willing to put the extra cash in that we need' and vote sevco in.

these tickets costs are the price of sporting integrity.

the club will lose income if the newco aren't allowed in. they have to replace that income from somewhere else. any motherwell fan who is suprised that the shortfall is going to have to come out their own pocket is an idiot.

I'm going to shock you here steelboy and agree with you. The criticism of the club on this issue is well over the top in my opinion. I am quite happy with the pricing and hope as many you as possible realise that sporting integrity does have it's cost. Where I probabaly disagree with steelboy is I feel we should take the hit and he doesn't. Nevertheless, whatever side of the fence you come down on the fans have to support the club here. This is probably only the first examples of us having to put our hands in our pocket to help the club through what looks like a rocky period. More than ever the club will be starting to feel what is the bloody point. If this is a test that the club set us (the day before the vote) to see if we can handle the consequences then quite frankly, we must do better.

I have to ask what most of us thought the ticket prices would be??!!! You can't compare the cost of an East Stand seat against Inverness (£18) to that for a Champions League qualifier against top class opposition. Remember away fans pay between £22 and £25 at Fir Park, so a fiver on top of that for a higher calibre of opponent and a glamourous European tie isn't unrealistic.

My personal view is that £25 would've been right, but we all said we'd pitch in to help the club after everything that's happened, the time has arrived to prove that. Perhaps the extra money might help us bring a couple of new faces in, including a certain maverick ex-Well genius??......

I'll be there, I hope everyone else is too.