Champions League Simplified

B.K.

In an odd sort of way what kinda gives me the fear in all this as someone who could probably get away with going to one away tie, but not two is the dilemma of Champions League or Europa League.

I really really want go to Turkey/Ukraine/Greece/Belgium/Denmark to see us play in the Champions League but what if the once in a lifetime trip to see Motherwell play at the San Siro plops out in the Europa League draw three weeks later.

Or vice-versa I pass up the chance of seeing Motherwell in the Champions League and we get sent back to Turkey/Ukraine/Greece to play in the Europa League

What a happy dilemma to have! I think.... :rolleyes:

In an odd sort of way what kinda gives me the fear in all this as someone who could probably get away with going to one away tie, but not two is the dilemma of Champions League or Europa League.

I really really want go to Turkey/Ukraine/Greece/Belgium/Denmark to see us play in the Champions League but what if the once in a lifetime trip to see Motherwell play at the San Siro plops out in the Europa League draw three weeks later.

Or vice-versa I pass up the chance of seeing Motherwell in the Champions League and we get sent back to Turkey/Ukraine/Greece to play in the Europa League

Im in the same boat andy, ive justified it to myself that i'll go to the first game if its feasible. If we then end up with a cant miss tie in the second game then it will be visa cards, begging bowls, whatever it takes.

Im on holiday to vegas the first week in july, my pipe dream is that im gonna win a small fortune to cover the entire european tour......

I didn't go to Odense it was a nightmare draw, they were probably the weakest and least glamorous team we could have got, and was too expensive at the time. As we had a (small) chance of winning, I decided to hold out for the group stages! :lol:

I'll see how the draw goes, but at least we'll get a 2nd chance if the first game is too expensive , too short notice, or scary.

Hopefully one of our games will be easily accessible, maybe away 2nd leg too to allow for planning??

Nae Bruge, Braga, and, Bucharest then. Spent time in Copenhagen when we went to Odense and enjoyed it. Would go back but does take a wee bit of the shine off a Euro trip.

Will need to see costs associated with the rest. If I'm honest they are not that attractive to me.

As mentioned by others I might also put my faith in a Europa League away match.

Nice to see the stadiums we could visit. Kiev is a definate no no for me now. No doubt will be stuck behind the goal..........and I thought Hampden was bad. That is ootrageous :laugh:

Copenhagen

Athens

Istanbul

in that order. Kiev.....nah.

I was thinking similar, kiev doesn't appeal much. Fenerbahce and pana would be some experience though. Although probably a tad more expensive than copenhagen?

Copenhagen was expensive. Two nights, tops, I'm thinking. It could be done. Athens/Istanbul would be great cities to visit....although if I'm honest, and I may be overly cautious, I am a bit concerned with regards to travelling there as a football fan.

Three very good stadiums. One that looks erm.....not so good :evilgrin:

Nae Bruge, Braga, and, Bucharest then. Spent time in Copenhagen when we went to Odense and enjoyed it. Would go back but does take a wee bit of the shine off a Euro trip.

Will need to see costs associated with the rest. If I'm honest they are not that attractive to me.

As mentioned by others I might also put my faith in a Europa League away match.

Kindof coming round to that way of thinking also.

so here is the 4 teams we can play.

Dinamo Kiev, Panathinaikos,FC København, Fenerbahçe

Aye qualify for Europe, get all excited at the prospect of the unknown, then find out you are limited to one of 4 options. Neither of them attractive in any shape or form Gies a fucking break Yoofa, or better still just get the big hat oot and stick all the names in it like you used to do. I hate all this seeding pish.

Athens' Olympic Stadium also looks a belter.....exceot when it comes to watching the fitba. Stuck behind a goal and the view of the game will be horrendous.

Fenerbache and Copenhagen - good stadium, good view. Costs aren't to high I'll go.

D Kiev and AEK - good stadiums but potentially crap view of the fitba.

Nancy, Llanelli, Breidablik, and, Odense were all good trips but in their own ways good stadiums (especially Odense).

I personally just don't fancy travelling to a ground for a seat that I would try to avoid at Hampden.

Wonder if fans from the above are googling Fir Park at the moment? :evilgrin:

I quite simply couldnae handle the heat in Turkey or Greece so I'm out if we get either of those teams. Kiev gives me the fear, but i could be a mile out there and was in denmark for last jaunt. Bit disappointing.

you're not playing ffs!

wear a hat and drink plenty water :cheers:

I quite simply couldnae handle the heat in Turkey or Greece so I'm out if we get either of those teams. Kiev gives me the fear, but i could be a mile out there and was in denmark for last jaunt. Bit disappointing.

I think it is to be honest. Was really hoping it was Braga or Bruge. To have it narrowed down to four teams, 50% I doubt I will go to, when we are nearly two months away from the draw.......I wasn't really expecting that to be honest.

I can see how for other people who would go to any of the grounds that it is still exciting.

Imo we shouldn't have a clue where or who we could get until the day of the draw.

Dumb question time...... what happens with all the winners from Qualifying 2? Won't they go into the third round?

Yes, but down the "champions route", so Celtic could face one of these teams.

We are 1 of 8 non champions who enter at the 3rd qualifying round, there are no non champions in previous rounds.

Of all the daft rules, this is a good one, as it makes sure there are slightly more actual champions in the champions league, stopping 3rd and 4th placed teams from the big countries knocking out the champions of diddy countries (like Scotland), this has allowed likes of apoel Nicosia to make (and qualify from) the group stages.

Anybody any idea if Copenhagen have improved since Aberdeen thumped them?

I didn't think Odense were great, Peter utaka was head and shoulders above the rest of their team and ours, and was the difference between the sides over the 2 legs IMO.

I'm actually starting to believe we could, maybe, have a possibility of beating them.....

:lol:

No dilemma for me, this might be the one and only time in my life that i can go to watch Motherwell away in the champions league, so i will be going, :nod: (my personal preference would be Kiev). Lets be honest we are likely to be Europa league contenders most years in the SPL so there will be lots of away trips there as we have seen in recent years. But this is the premier club football tournament in the world and for Motherwell to be in there is something i never thought i would see, so i will be there