Goalkeeping Situation

Mitch

Exactly this. I was about to post the same thing. McCall was responding directly to this fat bell end - not the stand itself.

The guy in question and his wee group of mates are some of the most ill informed, idiotic non-supporters I have ever had the ill-pleasure of sitting near. Unfortunately a couple of them also have kids and they already spout the same shite their dads do. The incident prior to the McCall one came about when McFadden was subbed and one of the fat guy's mates shouted abuse at McCall and that Anier was shite. Anier obv came on and made the goal and someone a few rows in front when cheering turned round and gave the guy verbals. That turned into a wee shouting match and the fat lad waited till it died down and then stood up and embarrassingly shouted "I'm watching you, think your a hard man mate, I'm watching you" to the guy who had gave his mate verbals. It was fucking cringeworthy.

Name and shame them/ point out their seat numbers...........:whistling:

Why do we have to have a blame hound ,every time we win/lose/or drop a point ???

Why are we booing our own players ??????:dash2:

FFS if its not Neilsen ....its Vigours......its Lawson.....we are third in the league with a game in hand and some reasonably winnable games (:blush:) coming up

Lets get behind the team and support them..SIWY !!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1390725409[/url]' post='404976']

We have two keepers on our books who are simply not good enough for SPL level. Looks very likely that we are going to be stuck with Nielsen until atleast the end of the season.

Hollis looks like he won't feature again due to injury and with his contract up in the summer I doubt very much that it will be renewed. Gunnar on the other hand was handed a two year deal on a very pretty penny and it looks extremely unlikely that we will manage to offload him in he summer. Do we stick with Nielsen and hope that he improves enough or do we try and bring in a first choice keeper in the summer?

Gordan Marshall should be shot over his recommendation for this imposter. I don't think I've seen a worse goalkeeper in my time watching us, with Mikko Kaven and Michael Fraser be only two that come close to this clown.

I am amazed that we've not looked at lee Robinson formerly QOS After 2 decent seasons at QOS and clinching the Scottish football league keeper of the year last year surely worth a look think he's a free agent at the minuteGot this montage from YouTube and seems capable enough a

Edited by Bestie

If Gunnar is to be our number one for the remainder of this season then we have to support him. Yes he's nowhere near the ability of Ruddy or Randolph but we can do wonders for his confidence by vocally backing him. It can only help his game and might even secure us a few extra points.

All the goodwill in the world isn't going to make him catch a ball.

The moaning from the stands ain't going to be a patch on what gets said in the dressing room after the match.

I'm sure a few of the more vocal players would be saying it, as it is!

G.M. should be bootin' his bangers on the training field as we speak.

Keep an eye on the players in the upcoming matches, if similar incidents happen again!!!

There's too many fans here blaming Nielsen completely, first of all, for him to have to do any sort of work, the other 10 players haven't done their job, plus we are the 15th best league in the world, you cannot expect us to attract world class goalkeepers! We were lucky to have ruddy and Randolph for the past few years, however in my opinion (which won't be welcomed by 90% of the people on here who know nothing about actually playing football, the ones who slate angol from the stand when he is on the shoulder of the last defender and want him to go further to receive a pass, NAW OFFSIDE!) the days of us even coming close to having someone permanently leave a club like, in Randolph's case, charlton are long behind us. When a league has no pulling power, unless you are Celtic, or have money, you can't expect top class! Also, out of the 12 first choice goalkeepers in the spl, Nielsen has the most international experience and has performed against higher quality opposition than probably all the goalies (bar Forster on the champions league), and after the jeers of the crowd towards both our keepers this season, I'd challenge any fan in that crowd to have a better game than either.

A quick look at our recent results with Palm in goals doesn't make good reading ...

DU at home ..lost 4 goals

Killie ..clean sheet

Albion ..lost 1 , should have saved it

Celtic at home ..lost 5 ..at fault for at least 2 , 1 palmed straight for tap in

Hearts away ..nothing to do

Celtic away ..lost 3 ..palmed 1st out for tap in and gives away pen for 2nd

Aberdeen ..palmed 1st one out for tap in and completely lost at 2nd goal ,ball 1 yard out

Hard to think of anything positive to say about a keeper who clearly has never recovered from his bad knee injury , has no confidence to leave his line for balls even a yard out from him and will only get worse IMO ....at this moment in time he is a complete bombscare who will cost us 2nd and even 3rd in the league if he is not replaced .

Surely McCall , who is trying to get a keeper in , must have some contacts down South to get a reserve keeper in from somewhere .

• Like 1

There's too many fans here blaming Nielsen completely, first of all, for him to have to do any sort of work, the other 10 players haven't done their job, plus we are the 15th best league in the world, you cannot expect us to attract world class goalkeepers! We were lucky to have ruddy and Randolph for the past few years, however in my opinion (which won't be welcomed by 90% of the people on here who know nothing about actually playing football, the ones who slate angol from the stand when he is on the shoulder of the last defender and want him to go further to receive a pass, NAW OFFSIDE!) the days of us even coming close to having someone permanently leave a club like, in Randolph's case, charlton are long behind us. When a league has no pulling power, unless you are Celtic, or have money, you can't expect top class! Also, out of the 12 first choice goalkeepers in the spl, Nielsen has the most international experience and has performed against higher quality opposition than probably all the goalies (bar Forster on the champions league), and after the jeers of the crowd towards both our keepers this season, I'd challenge any fan in that crowd to have a better game than either.

The international argument is bollocks.

He is from the Faroe Islands. It has a population smaller than East Kilbride.

• Like 1

Right, so to be clear, its the SPFL's fault that we have a goalkeeper that can't catch a football?

And challenging a fan is fine, but a fan isn't paid by the club to be a goalkeeper. I'd imagine any one of the players would be pish at my job, just as I'd be pish as a winger or a keeper.

(I say that like my job's difficult, but that's not quite the point)

He still has to play in goals versus international calibre players.

So he has played against top class players a couple times, he has never done it on a weekly basis so what's your point?

By your logic we should be signing more faroese players because they have played internationally.

Two things all SPFL backup keepers have to contend with that work against them.

1) Obviously, as a backup you aren't playing with your team mates every week, so the understanding isn't there to the same extent as first choice keeper.

2) With the current lack of reserve teams, you get zero competitive games and cannot possibly be match fit without a run in the first team.

I don't know what Neilsen's longest run of consecutive games is, but it can't more than a small handful.

Not to say that we haven't a signed a player that just isn't going to work out (it happens), but when you are an outfield player like a Porter, Higdon or a McManus, you get a couple of months to settle in without the same pressure when you make mistakes.

But while he is our starter, he needs a bit of support.

I suppose its a head scratcher as on paper he has a decent pedigree in terms of where he's been (surely the Man City scouts must have seen promise) and he's also tall which would allow him to cherry pick crosses. The issue appears to be in confidence and decision making, the Achilles heel of a keeper if its lacking.

We have committed to him for 2 years I think so he won't be leaving before summer 2015, that just a symptom of our financial position. Hollis didn't do much wrong and he was stood behind 10 players who hadn't gelled as they appear to have to a greater degree now. My memory casts back to comments such as (I'm paraphrasing as I can't be arsed scowering through pages of posts from August/September) "get Nielsen in right now McCall, he at least looks like a keeper" and "I don't fancy Hollis at all, why is McCall persevering with him?" and "Get him on the bench and Gunnar on".

With the difference between 2nd and 3rd being £250k its a gamble to shell out and bring in someone else in an attempt to push for that second place. Things that will be on the minds of the management at the club will be our record against top 5 opposition hasn't been great and we face 5 games at the end of the season against them. I accept ICT have nosedived with Yogi taking over and Dundee Utd's kids are needing R&R bless em.

Aberdeen are a better team at present and there are no guarantee's in football. While that extra cash cold make up for our awful cup exits I don't know if speculation to accumulate will win.

Well bottom line is, he has 3 weeks practise to work on his game before he is under scrutiny again. Unfortunate maybe but I think the punters will be more inclinded to dish out pelters rather than any encouragment so I think the ball is firmly in his court. He is going to have to win over the fans by improving and playing well. Which really is what he should be doing anyway. between him and Marshall they got to list the problems and determine how to fix them. That includes the mental side as well as the physical side.

I am amazed that we've not looked at lee Robinson formerly QOS After 2 decent seasons at QOS and clinching the Scottish football league keeper of the year last year surely worth a look think he's a free agent at the minuteGot this montage from YouTube and seems capable enough a

Hammerfist MKII.

While I agree with your statement Spider, ( as I mentioned in my earlier post ) there's about as much chance of that happening as there is of Nielsen catching a ball.......Sorry' couldn't stop myself ! Nielsen is going to have to step up and earn the confidence and respect from the fans.

Your sentiment could also be applied to referee's but I don't think I need to comment on that chances of that ever happening !

De Gea wasnt exactly brilliant at saving in the Man U Sunderland cup game last week and of Saturdays SPFL games, both McDonald (Hearts) at Ross C's goal and Williams (Hibs) at Celtics 3rd goal didnt exactly cover themselves in glory either.

Even a keeper we all rate highly, Ruddy, let in 6 goals V Hibs.

So Nielsen has made a few mistakes but also made a few good saves. What about the rest of the team who made mistakes at the weekend. From stray passes from McManus and Hammell, Carswell getting robbed of the ball, Lawson getting caught in possession, nobody tracking Rooney at the goal etc. We all see them week in week out.

Just so happens that when a keeper makes a mistake its unfortunately right in front of goal and if we lose a goal its all his fault.

Nielsen may not be a world class keeper, but he's our keeper, he in our goals and he's wearing the Claret and Amber. So let get behind him, give him encouragement and maybe help boost his confidence.

• Like 3

Boost his confidence ...whit...? Hes a grown man and supposedly an experienced keeper . I vote Graham Marshall pulls him aside and tells him to get his finger out his arse and start playing for his wages and stop letting us all down before there is some real damage done . Straight talking required

• Like 2

As I said in my first post on this thread, my opinion is not welcomed because there is a clique type of thing going on here where only certain people can comment without being slated. The same people who no doubt slate our players for the slightest mistake. End of the day they're getting paid to play football because they are decent at it, you are paying to watch it because you are not.

• Like 2

Boost his confidence ...whit...? Hes a grown man and supposedly an experienced keeper . I vote Graham Marshall pulls him aside and tells him to get his finger out his arse and start playing for his wages and stop letting us all down before there is some real damage done . Straight talking required

I'd leave the talking to his brother Gordon.

Big Gunnar might no be the best but I bet he doesn't get folks names mixed up

• Like 2