Central Defence?

Kmcalpin

I'm curious about comments that we should drop Stephen McManus. Now I'll agree readily that he's not playing well. No argument there.

However who would we replace him with? There are some who don't like O'Brien, and many who don't like Kerr (personally I think his time is up after one mistake too many). Who does that leave?

What about Adam Cummins? Maybe Craig Reid? Simon Ramsden, when fit? John Sutton perhaps? The untried Morgyn Neill?

Any views?

I'm curious about comments that we should drop Stephen McManus. Now I'll agree readily that he's not playing well. No argument there.

However who would we replace him with? There are some who don't like O'Brien, and many who don't like Kerr (personally I think his time is up after one mistake too many). Who does that leave?

What about Adam Cummins? Maybe Craig Reid? Simon Ramsden, when fit? John Sutton perhaps? The untried Morgyn Neill?

Any views?

O'Brien is far and away our best central defender and his loan is up so things could get even worse!

McManus has been shocking this season but even so he's better than Ramsden, Cummins or Kerr who are all even worse.

In all honesty we could do with three new centre backs because none of them currently signed up are anywhere near good enough.

Morgyn Neill can't be any worse than Kerr and you never know he might be significantly better. I'm like you, after yesterday I'm done with Kerr. He should never play again.

From the players we have available i would put Ramsden in the centre next to O'Brien with Reid at right back ( he was feckin woeful in midfield, totally lost) and Hammell on the left (assuming they are all fit) thats about as good as we can get just now :ph34r: . After yesterdays performance, Kerr should never get near the team again.

Think midfield is of more pressing concern

Everywhere is a concern but I think the accepted wisdom is that you "build from the back".

If we stop conceding goals, especially avoidable goals from individual mistakes like we have been, we will probably pick up enough points to stay clear of the two bottom spots.

Everywhere is a concern but I think the accepted wisdom is that you "build from the back".

If we stop conceding goals, especially avoidable goals from individual mistakes like we have been, we will probably pick up enough points to stay clear of the two bottom spots.

True, but I think if we had more control of midfield then our defence wouldn't come under the constant pressure it is at the minute. Certain games aside, we're not conceding massive numbers of goals for the amount of possession we're giving the opposition...

Think we have little choice but to persevere with McManus. We need consistency in the fullback position next to what I presume will be the first choice centre back pairing for the rest of the season McManus and O'Brien.

Ideally that will be Hammell getting over his injury woes and one from Ramsden, Reid, Kerr, or Watt? I know Watt started left back against Aberdeen but he is clearly right footed.

I'd be inclined to giver Kerr or Watt the nod. Ramsden we should be letting go in the summer hasn't looked like the player pre injury last season and Reid is a decent utility player but isn't an ideal first pick. Terrible pass aside I didn't think Kerr was that bad against Aberdeen, and Watt a few shaky moments aside look not to bad.

Not hugely confident in any of those 4 as yet but I'd be looking to the younger ones to see if either of them can establish themselves with any authority there given a run of games.

Think we have little choice but to persevere with McManus.

I know he likes to be positive and all but I think when the new manager refers to him as a colossus then he views McManus role in the team as more than someone he has to persevere with!

Well I was comparing it against the level of performance against Accies. Possibly a bit generous but I've got a sliver of sympathy for Kerr given the amount of times McCall bundled him into the team on the right hand side of midfield and was a complete fish out of water.

So whilst I inclined to agree he generally looks like a haddy and the vague memories of a few decent performances in the earlier part of his time with us are likely a flash in the pan in the absence of a stand out right back I'd not be that be unhappy if he got a decent run of games to see if he can play at all.

If Josh Law does well there today however it might be we have an answer for this recent problem position.

This week we extended the loan of one central defender and went to an appeal for the other, the focus was on them, I don't think they stood up to that pressure. In another week we could have played Kerr and Cummins who might have been a bit hungrier, whether they would have been any better is debatable

Our defence isn't playing well nor has it being playing well for some time with or without Hutchinson and Hammell. No arguments from me there. However we simply can't judge how bad it is until we get a decent keeper but more importantly a decent midfield, particularly in the middle, who can shield the defence. The central defence is getting no protection whatosever and is under constant pressure. The keeper is left exposed time and again. We need a central midfield with a bit of steel, pace and most importantly character. Without that protection, even the best defence in the world would struggle.