Flow And The Board

smiddy

So just to be clear, you have no idea what his job description is, but you know that he isn't doing it well and isn't qualified enough for it?

I know he is most senior member of staff. I know he will respond directly to the board. I know what GM's do in the third sector where I work and imagine it to be very similar to his role.

And just to be clear...I said that he is not immune from criticism like many on here suggest. He's now the operational leader of the club. I also said that given the complete mess we seem to be in compared to last year (where Leanne and three players have left) that has seen us go from 2nd to 10th is alarming and Alan can not be innocent on all counts.

I never called for him to be sacked. I want him to succeed. But I believe that a more commercially minded and experienced GM or CEO would have been far better qualified to lead us through this period. In the last 8months he would have had to learn the role which has not been to the benefit of the club.

He also seems to retain his media responsibilities which is baffling to me and I suggested this has maybe distracted from his new role.

And for the record, the shop has little to do with Alan as its externally run by Provan Sports.

Also agree that players and board should take brunt of criticism for where we find ourselves.

As many people on here know Alan personally, and we all know the work he done with this site and the media role at the club - not to mention he is "one of us" - people have the "its anybodies fault but his" mentality. I mearly questioned that given his new position he was now under the spotlight and accountable and given the reaction on here to those comments, it kind of proves my point.

How much time does it take out of his working week to do the post match interview?

To film and edit? Probably a good few hours - which isn't the end of the world. What else is he doing related to his old role though? And there are two other in the media team so is there any need for him to do as such?

I would imagine the other two are doing the filming and editing

Quite possibly.

In my current job the GM was promoted from the accounts department before I stated, but she doesn't do any accounts work, more delegates it as she had more pressing matters.

Find it strange than after 8months he isn't doing likewise.

EDIT: And if he is just asking the questions, what is the thinking behind that?! Surely the person holding the camera can ask questions

As we hurtle towards the first division, eventually some sort of investigation/enquiry is going to take place as to who's fault it is. McCall, the board, the players and possibly even the General manager are all going to be in the dock.

Our first relegation in 31 years isn't going to be accepted as meekly as the above would like to think.

1421489561[/url]' post='429489']

Quite possibly.

EDIT: And if he is just asking the questions, what is the thinking behind that?! Surely the person holding the camera can ask questions

I suspect it is down to personality and confidence

So you're unhappy with his appointment in the first place. Is there any way he could risen to the post from within the club in your eyes or would he have had to leave to then return when he gained necessary management experience elsewhere? Or should he never be considered?

Now don't focus on how you perceive how the club has transpired since she left but in Leanne's tenure were you happy in general with what she implemented and how the club progressed in her time? Like her or not I doubt anyone can claim the club changed immeasurably under her stewardship. If your answer is negative you can't deny she was successfully headhunted by a competitor with a larger purse.

Lot of issues you cite include Alan has been promoted to GM without an executive function. I'd suggest to you the same was the case when Leanne was appointed. She gained the "Executive" to her title as time progressed and JB's regular involvement diminished. However her CV before coming to Motherwell was hardly dazzling and a lot less impressive than Alan's.

Being promoted without voting rights does seem to follow your contention that there was caution from those who appointed him to not make the jump too much but I'm sure as time progresses that may change.

Finally onto the fact he still does the interviews. I'm sure you will know the job was advertised in the summer, there was a thread on here about it. Eddie Munster applied (allegedly) however the money on offer didn't make it attractive. Therefore safe to say the club couldn't find someone on their terms. Therefore Alan no doubt does it either because nobody is able or wants to do it. However if you'd rather have him upstairs in the boardroom chewing the fat for an extra 10 minutes with the Thomson's and Petries of this world then I understand your ire.

I just don't know what the catalyst for the criticism that you claim he's entitled is born from.

Regardless, he was appointed by Weir/McMahon/etc., he has their respect and is well thought of by the hacks and TV personnel. I've yet to see any criticism by anyone who genuinely has any daily dealings with him. All the detractors are those on here with limited knowledge of his role, what's he's had to deal with off the radar, how he's performing and what he has planned.

But blame has to be attributed somewhere, so he's now moved into your sights.

Both parties CV's

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/alan-burrows/a/46a/138

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/leeann-dempster/9/90a/490

To film and edit? Probably a good few hours - which isn't the end of the world. What else is he doing related to his old role though? And there are two other in the media team so is there any need for him to do as such?

If it takes a good few hours he/they seem to get it out very quickly.

As we hurtle towards the first division, eventually some sort of investigation/enquiry is going to take place as to who's fault it is. McCall, the board, the players and possibly even the General manager are all going to be in the dock.

Our first relegation in 31 years isn't going to be accepted as meekly as the above would like to think.

If we don't get relegated, will you cheer up a bit?

Investigation/Inquiry is certainly overdramatic. Every business has regular reviews of its performance and I'm sure our Board is no different. Having said that, it's pretty well documented how and why we ended up in the state we're in, it just seems many posters on here either haven't bothered to keep up or are looking for something more sinister as a reason.

Unlike many who want to point fingers, however, I expect our new owner will be looking at ways to move forward in a positive way rather than live in the past. That tends to be how successful business people operate - learn and move on.

• Like 2

The irony of posters on here thinking they have the credentials to judge Flow's credentials because he used to be a poster on here is delicious...

Well it's the same posters that think they have the credentials to judge the ability of managers, the players and the other teams around us.

So those things out of bounds too?

As for the topic, it seems Flows position is a made up one. I doubt he is actually doing GM work. But if I'm wrong then yeah he will have questions to answer about Motherwell's performances on and off the park - at the end of next season if there are no vast improvements.

i wonder if flow in his role as media man will have the BALLS to ask I B why the fuck he persists with ainsworth when he seems to have downed tools and gives not one fuck :whistling: :whistling:

Aye, he's the one. The other players are first to every ball and winning every tackle. Defence is tight as a nut.

The question i would like asked directly to the players, is whats has happened to the team spirit. Nobody is busting a gut to help a fellow teammate, no pats on the back to encourage, no bollockings demanding more, noone trying to organise. Just random guys with the same colour jersey trotting about with an apparent no giving a feck. Sure lack of confidence, can effect players, but even an below average team busting a gut can get mid table in the top league. We fought to 2nd last year. this year no fight what so ever.

The question i would like asked directly to the players, is whats has happened to the team spirit. Nobody is busting a gut to help a fellow teammate, no pats on the back to encourage, no bollockings demanding more, noone trying to organise. Just random guys with the same colour jersey trotting about with an apparent no giving a feck. Sure lack of confidence, can effect players, but even an below average team busting a gut can get mid table in the top league. We fought to 2nd last year. this year no fight what so ever.

We have a load of players who will be lucky to have a club next season so the dressing room probably isn't a very happy place at the moment. It's a miracle that anyone wants Vigurs but who is going to sign Lawson, Carswell, Kerr, Neilsen, ZFA, Cummins or Ramsden? I was expecting Ainsworth to pick up in the second half of the season so he can con another club next season but he's gotten worse as has Ojamaa who doesn't seem to understand what being a professional footballer entails.

• 2 weeks later...