Flow And The Board

smiddy

We are where we are at the moment but aren't many of the building blocks for what lot of what people are crying out for already being put in place?

We want investment, fresh ideas in the boardroom and new strategies to be put in put place to make the club financially stable?

Aren't we just days away from potentially having that when Hutchison signs on the dotted line and his people come on to the board, begin to exert their influence and augment what we already have behind the scenes?

We want an improved youth set to bring players through?

Have we not in the last 18 months or so appointed an Academy Director and arranged a tie-in to use the facilities at Braidhurst to help with that very purpose? Of course the very nature of youth development is that it takes time for structures to be put in place as required and for the players to come through those structures.

We want a manager who'll give youth a chance?

Hasn't he already given debuts to Thomas, Watt and MacLean and given game time to Erwin, Cadden and Ferguson?

We want the team freshened up?

Well hasn't the manager said he's going to bring in one or two if he can, not to mention the aforementioned youths. Did he not also say that players are playing for their futures?

But what he can't afford to do is alienate those who will be around to the summer at least and will have a part to play. Many footballers are clearly egotistical and much as many a fan would like to spell out some home truths, the manager has to strike a balance between the carrot and stick approach. Our season is eerily replicating Hibs last season but one thing we can do is avoid the mistake that Butcher made is by goading his players enough that they down tools (yes and I know plenty will say they did that some time ago).

This is absolutely shite just now ofcourse it is, but I do have faith that it will get better. The short-medium-long term planning that people want is there. The changes in the team will come and we will be a much different side when we kick off next season.

Easier said than done maybe but we just have to make sure that painful as it is at the moment we somehow get through this current challenge to push on with the restructuring and make the best of the opportunities that will come.

• Like 11

There is a big difference in job role from managing a media team with a couple of direct reports to moving to managing the day to day running of a football club and all the employees therein.

Which kind of begs the question as to why he was even considered for the position, let alone successful in getting it?

I don't mean this as a slight on the guy, as he's no doubt doing the best he can and he can't really be held responsible for taking a better job that was offered to him, but is he actually qualified? Also, is he still the guy who interviews the manager after games? And if so, why? I don't think I've ever seen a football club where the GM interviews the players and manager for the clubs online TV station.

Is he still running the media team as well?

1420995506[/url]' post='428956']

Which kind of begs the question as to why he was even considered for the position, let alone successful in getting it?

I don't mean this as a slight on the guy, as he's no doubt doing the best he can and he can't really be held responsible for taking a better job that was offered to him, but is he actually qualified? Also, is he still the guy who interviews the manager after games? And if so, why? I don't think I've ever seen a football club where the GM interviews the players and manager for the clubs online TV station.

He will be running the media team, plus the girls in the office and the ground staff, he is the general manager.

My response was in reply to someone stating he was just a 'jumped up media man'. Point being the job, I would think, is much more than just a 'jumped up media man' type of role.

Whether he is qualified or doing a good job I don't think I can comment on as I don't 100% know what his remit is or see him performing day to tday. But I would take a guess, as I think I said earlier on that it is the general management of day to day activities in the club and not about long term strategy or 1st team matters. That would be the job of a chairman/chief exec and at the moment sits with the board as a whole.

Not really bothered about the interviewing thing. He is at the game so why not do it for all of the time it takes.

He will be running the media team, plus the girls in the office and the ground staff, he is the general manager.

The thing is, the term General Manager can mean a lot of things, can't it? For example, Jock brown was Celtic's General Manager for a while, and he was responsible for bringing in the manager, making decisions based on players and suchlike. Maybe the club shouldn't have given him such a title, as it only leads to fans expecting that he'll be carrying out the duties of an actual general Manager, and not simply having his media duties extended to running the offices and grounds staff.

So, we've not really replaced Dempster then?

Good post Andy P ,would someone be kind enough the bring me up to date with the role this Hutchison guy will actually have at the club .I know he isn't going to have a role like John Boyle so what exactly will he bring apart from some cash.

In short, he is going to provide an interest free loan of a currently unspecified amount to the club re-payable over 5 years. In return he gets a controlling interest in the club. In the statements released it essentially says he will come in and develop a plan to make the club sustainable, with a view that in 5 years the controlling interest can transition from him to the Well Society. He will change the structure of the board by bringing in some of his own people while keeping a couple of the current directors. He also wants the well society chairperson to chair the board.

Some good statements and background starting here...

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2014/12/19/chairmans-message-part-1/

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2014/12/23/chairmans-message-part-2/

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2014/12/17/les-hutchison-interview-part-1/

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2014/12/19/les-hutchison-interview-part-2/

Not sure where to put this post or if I've missed something obvious but the takeover had a months due diligence before everything was confirmed and that was a month ago tomorrow. Are we expecting an announcement to confirm it? Like I say maybe I've missed something

1421005330[/url]' post='428978']

Not sure where to put this post or if I've missed something obvious but the takeover had a months due diligence before everything was confirmed and that was a month ago tomorrow. Are we expecting an announcement to confirm it? Like I say maybe I've missed something

Yeah, the Society hierarchy will announce a meeting about another meeting - it's how they do it & deem it acceptable.

• Like 1

Don't worry. You'll beat us.

I would be absolutely astonished if we manage to beat you on Saturday. If you think you've been bad, just wait until you see how bad we are. If we manage to take three points on Saturday I will invade the pitch at full time fully naked and do a Klinsmann dive down the tunnel.

• Like 1

I would be absolutely astonished if we manage to beat you on Saturday. If you think you've been bad, just wait until you see how bad we are. If we manage to take three points on Saturday I will invade the pitch at full time fully naked and do a Klinsmann dive down the tunnel.

Get that quote up on the pinboard in the dressing room.

I'm sure that I read he was involved in the process of interviewing for the new manager and that he went to Barbados to meet Hutchinson so there is obviously some responsibility involved.

If what you say is true and flow was involved in the interview process for a new manager, then we really are doomed and whoever thought it appropriate for him to be involved should be sacked.

1421098393[/url]' post='429109']

If what you say is true and flow was involved in the interview process for a new manager, then we really are doomed and whoever thought it appropriate for him to be involved should be sacked.

I suspect he booked the meeting room and made sure there was pencils and paper for everyone involved.