2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

For me we have just about the right balance of experience and youth...whether you think they are good enough experienced players is a different story!

Hammell and McManus in Defence, Pearson and Las midfield, Clarkson up front. Ainsworth is fairly experienced too.

Maybe we could do with anther experienced attacker and goalie but that's about it for me.

We have an okay squad however it is going to struggle in its current form.

We really need:

1 x GK

1 X Centre Half (Assuming the Kennedy deal is almost done).

1 X Central Midfield/ Left Mid Cover

1 X Attacking Midfielder.

current form? we've not played any competitive games yet.............every game we have played, players on, players off, Bara seeing if players can play in another position

nothing is settled yet - it wasn't too long ago, we won all out pre season games and got pumped in the league and the other side of the coin, losing all our pre season games and having a belter of a season

and an "attacking midfielder" - what is that exactly? I presume its not a wide man, because we've got them and you mention left mid cover - does Dom Thomas not count? or is an Attacking midfielder someone who goes forward but cant be arsed coming back? we had Vigurs last year and its not going to suit how Bara wants to set the team up

Chalmers was playing LM for the first half against Bradford and played very well

I didn't think so - thought he kept giving the ball away. would like to see more of him though, but can't see him edging in front of hammell

Notice Alan Burrows mentioned on Twitter that he's hopeful of having the next signing in before the match on Saturday.

Any ideas/rumours who it might be? Obviously skippy is on the radar but not sure if there are any others?

Hopefully Irvine or another midfielder.

Regarding keepers, I think Baraclough may be willing to play the waiting game for Long, which could take us into August.

Thats a dodgy strategy. He doesn'tseem to want to wait on Skippy and pressing him for an answer. I would have thought it's even more important to get the keeper situation sorted.

current form? we've not played any competitive games yet.............every game we have played, players on, players off, Bara seeing if players can play in another position

nothing is settled yet - it wasn't too long ago, we won all out pre season games and got pumped in the league and the other side of the coin, losing all our pre season games and having a belter of a season

and an "attacking midfielder" - what is that exactly? I presume its not a wide man, because we've got them and you mention left mid cover - does Dom Thomas not count? or is an Attacking midfielder someone who goes forward but cant be arsed coming back? we had Vigurs last year and its not going to suit how Bara wants to set the team up

More an argument based on common sense to be honest.

I'm not talking about pre-season games, they are arbitrary - it's the squad in it's current form and quality we can assume from our signings.

When I say attacking midfielder, I am talking about someone like McDonald, able to drop deeper and link play. It might not a style we use all the time (as I wrote) however we need to be versatile at times and change shape

I would be delighted with a keeper and Skippy.

I hope the new GK coach has an iron in the fire and has a keeper he has previously worked with I would prefer a new keeper nut if it is Long then I hope he continues the form he showed we Rangers

Skippy could be so important to bring on the new guys and be an influence like he was to Erwin

• Like 1

We need to bring in a defensive midfielder as cover or replacement for Keith Lasley. Someone who is both mobile and a grafter and able to put in tackles and close players down.

If I had to choose, I'd actually be looking for a creative midfielder purely because it's easier to slot a defender into the defensive midfielder role if required.

i agree weeyin we do need a creative spark rather than a defensive midfielder,for as much as i like pearson and lasley there were quite a few games last season when we were crying out for something different in the middle of the park,we can't always expect our wide players to be the ones to be the provider's

We need to bring in a defensive midfielder as cover or replacement for Keith Lasley. Someone who is both mobile and a grafter and able to put in tackles and close

players down.

I think Jack Leitch will fill that role

People can't have it both ways. Fans always cry out for young players to get a proper chance (remember on here, the complaints that Dom Thomas was only getting 15 minutes here and there) yet they want two or three more signings for cover. How are the likes of Leitch, Thomas, McLean, Watt and Moore going to get a chance to prove themselves if when an experienced player is injured or suspended, another is waiting in the wings to step in?

People talk a good game about buying into the club's plan of developing and selling young players but seem not to realise that means taking a risk here and there. If Thomas, Leitch, Erwin or Moore played for Dundee United, they'd have had a lot more game time under their belt before now. Maybe why they get bigger fees? They can sell younger or with more first team experience.

One more midfielder will be enough in the middle of the park. Any more than that simply stifles young players. McDonald is a good player but signing him and playing him with either Moult or Fletcher, how does that add value to whichever of the two are not playing. I'm not saying don't sign him, just not sure how it would fit with the plan the club have in place...

• Like 4

I think Jack Leitch will fill that role

I'll be very surprised if he does - not sure he's going to make the grade. His big drawback is lack of pace and that was recognised by the previous regime. Cast your mind back to the 5-1 thrashing at Tannadice a season or two back - his weakness then was cruelly exposed.

If young players are good enough, they'll get their chance to develop under Baraclough. Concern is whether any are ready to make the step-up this season. Even Thomas after a promising introduction, looks some way from regular 1st team action. Watt is possibly at the top of the pecking order just now.

As for Leitch, I suspect we'd need to revert to a midfield 3 for him to prosper.

Regarding the striker situation and the current competition, I think Moult is the one we are banking on to develop and I'm sure he'd like to have the quality of McDonald around him.

• Like 1

I'll be very surprised if he does - not sure he's going to make the grade. His big drawback is lack of pace and that was recognised by the previous regime. Cast your mind back to the 5-1 thrashing at Tannadice a season or two back - his weakness then was cruelly exposed.

Not as exposed as the weaknesses of Hutchinson or McManus were that day.

Is Leitch going to make us a massive fee one day? Possibly not but on occasions he's shown enough to suggest he could be a solid SPL footballer.

I don't have time to list all the players who have had excellent careers despite not being blessed with pace...

Not as exposed as the weaknesses of Hutchinson or McManus were that day.

Is Leitch going to make us a massive fee one day? Possibly not but on occasions he's shown enough to suggest he could be a solid SPL footballer.

I don't have time to list all the players who have had excellent careers despite not being blessed with pace...

One springs straight to mind

Tommy Coyne.

• Like 1

If young players are good enough, they'll get their chance to develop under Baraclough. Concern is whether any are ready to make the step-up this season. Even Thomas after a promising introduction, looks some way from regular 1st team action. Watt is possibly at the top of the pecking order just now.

As for Leitch, I suspect we'd need to revert to a midfield 3 for him to prosper.

Regarding the striker situation and the current competition, I think Moult is the one we are banking on to develop and I'm sure he'd like to have the quality of McDonald around him.

I agree with you that Watt (and possibly McLean) are at the front of the queue at the moment but that could change. Lasley misses a couple of games and Leitch comes in and does a good job, suddenly he makes himself a good option for Baraclough.

On the subject of young players, is Cadden injured or has he dropped out of the picture altogether..?