Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

I think we should approach Jackie McNamara (i don't know how its spelled) as his recent release by dundee united could fire him up.

If we get him would love to see him given the resources bar was given I know his recent record with united wasn't great but given that the chairman sold all his best players from under him and wanted the results.

But his overall record speaks for itself. An other choice i would really like to see is Terry Butcher (I know its not a popular choice) don't know where he is the now. but he's a good manager and he could work wonders with the resources bar was given.

I acknowledge that he wasn't great last time round but i think he would be good if given another chance.

A left field choice for me would be Darren Young (Albion Rovers boss) got some friends who support them they seem to think he's a good manager. I've seen them play a couple of times going with friends last season and they looked quite solid and well drilled at times for a part time team.

Whoever it is will have my backing for the start anyway then see how he's doing

Those are my three hopeful picks

Hi Jackie, and welcome to the forum.

No DABs.

Haha. Aye, I am tempted too. I was raging the way he left but that seems to have subsided somewhat with me now.

Its interesting the general opinions of posters on two of the candidates for the vacancy, Simo Valakari and Mark McGhee. The former was a fans favourite who did very well for us and the latter is commonly supposed to have done the dirty on us. In point of fact the opposite is the case. Anyhow thats a bit of sideshow in the great scheme of things.

I agree with some earlier posters that Ian Baraclough's track record was poor or mixed at best. At our level, that of a large Scots club, we can't expect to lure a manager with a good record at big clubs, but I'd hope we'd take previous success or failure into account which we didn't seem to do last time around. Appointing someone with no managerial track record is a huge gamble. Many of the best managers were not overly successful or popular as players.

From the Herald today.

SIMO VALAKARI has emerged as a front runner for the vacant Motherwell manager's job as he stands just three games away from potentially winning the Finnish title.

HeraldSport broke the news last week that the 42-year-old, who enjoyed a four-year spell at Fir Park as a player, was one of the first contenders to apply for the post vacated by Ian Baraclough eight days ago. Over 75 applicants have since signalled that they wish to be considered by the Lanarkshire club's board that met on Monday to go through the candidates.

It is now understood that Valakari is one of top targets on that list. He is currently the manager of SJK in his homeland, a side that is agonisingly close to becoming Finnish champions for the first time in their short eight-year history. Only three games remain in the Veikkausliiga and the team from Seinajoki currently sit two points adrift of leaders RoPS. It has been a meteoric rise for the minnows under the Finn. Valakari took over in 2012 and won them the second division title in his first season. SJK then went on to finish second in the top flight last term and clinched the League Cup for the first time ever.

Motherwell have indicated their intention to have their new man in place for Saturday October 17 when Ladbrokes Premiership champions Celtic come to Fir Park, with under-20s coach Stephen Craigan in charge for this weekend's trip to face Dundee. The Finnish campaign, however, does not end until the following weekend, meaning Motherwell may have to wait an extra week if they decide Valakari is the man they wish to succeed Baraclough.

While one familiar face could be returning to Fir Park, another one won't be with the news Stuart McCall has he ruled himself out of replacing the man that took over from him last December.

McCall enjoyed a largely successful spell in charge at Fir Park between 2010 and 2014 despite a disappointing end to his tenure, but he explained that whilst he maintains affection for the Lanarkshire club, he feels that it wouldnt be a trick he could easily repeat. He admitted, though, that the higher level of resources available for investment in the playing squad at Tannadice as Dundee United manager would be an enticing prospect.

He said: I wont be returning to Motherwell. I think some Motherwell fans probably remember the last dozen games as opposed to the first 160.

But the levels of success we had there, getting to the Champions League, Scottish Cup final, finishing second, runners-up to Celtic twice, I dont think we could match that again for a long time.

I had my time, I loved my time there, but its not something Ill be revisiting. A lot of people say you should never go back.

Its a club Im very fond of but it wont be for me to contemplate going back there.

Regarding Dundee United, a bigger club and fanbase wise, certainly a bigger budget, I think the third biggest in Scotland, good history, been in a couple of Scottish Cup finals of late, should be challenging for a European spot, so that might be one of interest.

Whoever the next Dundee United manager may be, they will not benefit from the same bonus that Jackie McNamara enjoyed for developing and selling on players.

United chairman Stephen Thompson said: Its unfortunate how it came out, but it didnt come through me. I know how it happened. I will not go over that, but it wont be in the next contract, thats for sure.

Ultimately it was me and the board who decided about players leaving and not the manager, although you take his opinion, obviously."

No DABs.

Sorry Graeme - what does DABs mean? To us old timers acronyms used to be great as one meant one thing only and also saved time but nowadays one can mean several things to different groups. As far as I know, it can mean "dead and buried" (in medical circles); "digital audio broadcasting" (in communications circles); or "delayed action bomb" (military circles).

• Like 1

Sorry Graeme - what does DABs mean? To us old timers acronyms used to be great as one meant one thing only and also saved time but nowadays one can mean several things to different groups. As far as I know, it can mean "dead and buried" (in medical circles); "digital audio broadcasting" (in communications circles); or "delayed action bomb" (military circles).

Think it stands for Dirty Arab Bas#@$d in this context lol

The reality is that Baraclough had considerably more management experience than Craigan currently has and played at a higher level in terms of club football.

You must be confused about who Barraclough played for or have a very low opinion of our club.

I was wondering about this bit too

Why does who or at what level a person plays at matter to whether they'd be a good coach or manager?

There's a general feeling within the media and some sets of supporters that if a managerial candidate has played for an English premiership side or to a lesser extent, Celtic and the old Rangers as was, then they will be a good manager. I've never agreed with this thinking I may add.

What managerial experience did Guadiola have before he got the Barca gig? Even the best managers often have a duff spell or two on their CV. Craigan strikes me as a reasonably intelligent chap with a solid playing career with top level international football experience and a great affinity with our club. Short of landing someone that seems pie in the sky I doubt we'll have many clearly better options, and we could still punt him before January if it was a disastrous Frank Sauzee type start.

Certainly not seen a lot of names I'd leap at.

and we could still punt him before January if it was a disastrous Frank Sauzee type start.

Certainly not seen a lot of names I'd leap at.

Welcome to Motherwell, watch over your shoulder and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. ...... Next .....

Is that really the message we want to send, because be assured, any "names" you wouldn't leap at would diminish come January if that is how we behaved as a club.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a problem with McGhee coming back, I was annoyed at the way he touted himself for very job years ago but the football we played in that 2 year spell was great. I found a lot of the chants about him after he left to be out of order especially when you see how he behaved and supported everyone after the tragedy of Uncle Phil. I wonder if wee Starchan has hinted he will leave if we don't qualify for Euro 2016, McGhee would then be out of a job

McGee had Scott Leitch as assistant first time round, maybe he'd be receptive to working with Craggs this time? Dream team?

Leitch is still at the club as well. He also worked with the likes of Hammell, Lasley, Clarkson and Craigan as players so there's that (possibly) in his favour too.

There are plenty of obvious reasons to tell him to bolt and it largely depends on what he actually wants from the club this time around. Does he want to work with the players he's got and build a team or is he going to be whoring himself about again the first chance he gets.

Either way he's the one manager that seems to have shown an interest who's actually demonstrated that he can do the job that needs done (in his first season, less said about the 2nd season the better). He knows the club, knows the league, knows the players and staff. He's also significantly more experienced than any other candidate going (that we've heard of).

I think in his entire management career, McGhee has had one good season, and it was his first one with us. He had some great players at his disposal during that season, too.

I'm on the fence about any potential return as, inevitably, as soon he gets back into the club scene you just know he'll be touting himself for bigger and better things. They way he left didn't really bother me, and seems like an affable kind of guy. Might be the right person to get the best out of our team.