Scottish League Cup - First Round Motherwell V Rangers Sat 16 Jul 15:00

texanwellfan

Not too disheartened. Could have been better but these are not the games our season will depend on.

Back four were under a lot of pressure given the amount of possession they had and stood up reasonably well. Tait looks decent if a little lacking in pace.

Midfield. McHugh looks OK but we clearly need more bodies in there. Chalmers did ok in terms of closing down and harrying but not great in possession.

Actually thought Ainsworth was better than Johnson today and McDonald did what he could with what he was given to work with.

Not a disaster and had we taken any of our early chances, it might have unsettled them. Like I said, not too downbeat but I don't know if that's because my expectations were lowered by the reports from Easter Road...

Had the feel of a glorified pre-season friendly.

Sat too far off them in the 2nd half and didn't press, perhaps because of a lack of fitness.

They were a bit of a shambles at the back and we should have exploited it.

I'm a bit 'meh, whatever' after that.

I thought we looked not too bad, all the new guys gave some encouragement. Looked decidedly not sharp up top though after creating great chances. Ainsworth should have squared that at the start and Cadden must score that chance too. All ran to Waghorn for the first goal and as we pushed forward 2-0 looked more likely than 1-1.

Tait and Henregan looked good. McHugh had a decent first half but was poor second half, he's one footed and one paced and he'll get exposed a lot.

Marvin was his usual self looking dangerous and powerful but with shocking end product.

If that really is the squad we've got it's going to be a long season.

Started well and, with no exaggeration, should have been 4-0 up after 10-15 minutes, the likes of Johnson and Cadden need to sharpen up their decision making/finishing. However our fitness seemed to go off a cliff after half an hour or so. We were struggling to get to half time and the whole second half we had no legs whatsoever and were more or less defending our 6 yard line and couldn't get anyone forward to support McDonald.

Two good finishes from Rangers but I think at 100% fitness those goals wouldn't or at least shouldn't happen.

On the up side I thought Samson continued on from last season and looked assured in goal and I thought Richard Tait looks like an excellent signing, my MotM.

• Like 2

Very disappointing. Chalmers was shite, Johnson - we should take the money and run!!! he cant shoot, cross or beat a man. I thought McHugh looked out his depth hopefully just rusty. Henegan(sp?) had a decent game and at last we have right back in Tait. They were there for the taking and if we cant convert from 12 or 13 chances against the worst defence in the PL we have problems.

We should have been out of sight at half time. 6 glorious chances and none taken.

2nd half was a really weak performance, very disappointing. Guys like Ainsworth and Johnson hid and failed to take any responsibility, Chalmers wont do, Hammy is done and sadly I think wee Thomas just flatters to deceive and just isn't strong enough.

Plus side on the new guys, I think we have a right back, the boy Tait looks decent, Heneghan looks a bit raw but did ok and McHugh looks ok and will get better. I thought McDonald did well and worked his arse off as did Cadden.

We need to get Moult fit otherwise I think we'll struggle for goals, the big 1980s throwback striker we have from Leicester didn't look great but obviously needs time.

p1sh poor support, fair play to the fans who made it.

As others have picked up on, a negative would be that the finishing and final ball was poor today. Must start taking our chances because even with as little possession as we had, we created chances today. Certainly suggests we'll be able to do so in games where we have more of the ball...

Seen a few on Facebook talking about heavy stewarding. Anyone able to elaborate?

Not heavy enough to stop Wallace getting hit with a pie.

That'll give him something else to grass about.

The police seemed to have kettled the end section at the end of the match.

As others have picked up on, a negative would be that the finishing and final ball was poor today. Must start taking our chances because even with as little possession as we had, we created chances today. Certainly suggests we'll be able to do so in games where we have more of the ball...

I agree. We played ok in spells I would be more concerned if we never created any chances. That said I would expect every team in the top league to create chances against them this season their defence is chronic.

The new guys showed up well as did McManus and, dare I say it chalmers. McDonald and hammell looked grossly overweight

Given the fairly indifferent pre-season form so far, particularly the absolute shellacking and shambolic defensive performance at Easter Road combined with Lasley being out, Moult being half-fit and having lost an assistant manager I had the genuine fear about that game today. In the end it's definitely disappointing not to have taken something out it given the number of chances created, not even half-chances but actual gilt-edged, "he should totally have scored that" chances.

Folk will point to the amount of the ball Sevco had but they didn't have a shot on target until something like the 26th minute. By which point we'd got in behind their defence a few times. It's just disappointing that their goals, good hits though they were, could have been closed down better. Tavernier and Waghorn hitting from the edge of the box? Who knew?

I suppose in context that was Accies lost to Ayr and Dundee drew with East Fife (EF got the bonus point on pens).

• Like 1

Having just bought my first season ticket in 26yrs I must say I am delighted we have such an ambitious manager whose aim is for us to stay up!!!!, Clown

Staying up should be the starting point of every season. As we showed recently, it's a fine line between top 6 and relegation play-off.

• Like 1

Having just bought my first season ticket in 26yrs I must say I am delighted we have such an ambitious manager whose aim is for us to stay up!!!!, Clown

Last year Baraclough said there was no reason we couldn't challenge for the league. I know which one has the red nose and big feet....

• Like 1

If you've kept your receipt you could always go and get your money back.

Maybe spend it on ST at a club who demand success.

What to make of that. Hmm...

It was difficult to know what to expect beforehand and I'm still a little perplexed on how to gauge it following the game. I think it was miles better than the worst case scenario some were forecasting which in a way of makes it all the more disappointing that a game we could easily have won we let slip away. If that makes any sense.

Didn't particularly like the look of the team beforehand but for the first 20 minutes the tactics appeared first class. Give them the ball to play with, but in areas they were able to do little with it and then hit them with lightening quick attacks.

People are going to look at the score and see the possession, which I suspect will be massively in Rangers favour, and think aye, comfortable easy win. Perhaps in the end, but iwe take our chances the game could have been dead and buried by about ten past three far less half-time.

I felt the tide turned a little after about 20 minutes or so when they began to create chances and had a couple of good opportunities themselves but we were still creating as many as them despite the lack of possession.

I didn't think we really got going at all in the second half. A fine finish for their opener and they went on to dominate for the most part and appeared to have at least one decent shout for a penalty as well the other efforts they were putting in. Still though the odd chance here and there came for us but were once again scorned. Their second was a bit harsh and only served to re-emphasise the importance of putting the chances away when they come your way.

Still plenty to take from it. Decent first impressions made by Heneghan, Tait and McHugh for one.

I only hope that the loss hasn't ended the chances of progression before we've even started. Without really knowing the make up of the other groups off hand I would hope games against Annan, Stranraer and East Stirling will provide enough scope for us to go to make a fist of securing one of the best runners-up places (I contrast that to someone like Inverness who have Dunfermline and Dundee Utd to contend with.

A defeat but arguably the news that apparently Louis Moult will miss three league games at least is the most depressing outcome of the day.

• Like 1

Last year Baraclough said there was no reason we couldn't challenge for the league. I know which one has the red nose and big feet....

i don't have a problem with McGhee saying that. To be honest I don't really care what he says to the press 'cause i'm pretty sure most of the time it's not even close to what he really thinks. Just feeding scraps to the press.

Not taking our chances in the first half was a mixture of poor decision making, awful finishing and chronic crossing. In the second we stood off them, gave them too much respect and didn't harry them enough. They would have made plenty mistakes with players closing them down, they aren't that good. As someone I spoke to succinctly put it ..... we played the club rather than the team.

Teams like ICT go to Glasgow and get results because their mindset is the latter opposed to the former.

I did wonder what McGhee's mindset is at present. I saw one interview where he said that everything was geared up to the 6th of August, I thought it strange as we had competitive games coming up. Then I watched him being interviewed at Dalziel Park by Betfred where he said, "Lets be honest, we're not going to win the league, but both cups are up for grabs."

Answer me this you arse, why contradict yourself with respect to today's game and why gave that shower as much respect?