Scottish League Cup - First Round Annan Athletic V Motherwell Sat 23 Jul 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Decent enough trip down to Annan and a comfortable victory in the end credit. Fair play to Moult playing through injury and making the difference with his goals. Marvin was too much for them to handle and while Ainsworth splits opinion, he was pivotal to our spell of dominance in the 2nd half.

Shame the boy Lucas couldn't stay fit in order for McGhee to have a good look at him. It's blatantly clear that we need a creative midfielder to feed our good attacking options.

Very early days but I like the look of Heneghan.

Contrary to other posters I'm not sure what McHugh offers apart from 5 yard square passes. Maybe we will see against better opposition.

Fairly poor game short on entertainment but a wins a win

As long as the 5 yard passes are to our players, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Contrary to other posters I'm not sure what McHugh offers apart from 5 yard square passes. Maybe we will see against better opposition.

Fairly poor game short on entertainment but a wins a win

McHugh certainly stuck his foot in against Rangers.

Given he was recently converted into a midfielder by Derek Adams, I don't expect much from him in an attacking sense. He'll be best suited to sitting in a 3/5 man midfield. Hopefully he offers the defence the protection it's been missing since Jennings left.

As long as the 5 yard passes are to our players, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Exactly!! It was horrendous last year the number of times we had players on the park apparently unable to do that. One of the traits of a good team is eliminating needless errors. If all he can do is win the ball for us and give it to one of our players i'll consider that as hime doing his job.

An enjoyable visit to Galabank. Tidy wee ground albeit unless you happened to be right at the front the sightlines of the goal at our end were more than little iffy.

Still, did what we had to do in a generally professional manner. The only blemishes were conceding the and the injury to Lucas that could make that short term deal even shorter.

Excellent finish from Marvin for the opener and we controlled things completely thereafter without threatening their goal that often. The game kind of just drifted along and I suppose in any game there's always the chance of the opposition sneaking a goal from seemingly nowhere and so it proved. From poor distribution to the goal itself we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory.

I must confess to being a little concerned at the break. What with McDonald and Blyth missing and Louis not looking at his best, understandably so, you did wonder how it might go if we didn't regain our lead quickly and we ran out of ideas and fresh attacking options.

But a good start to the second half saw us home. What appeared like about a dozen corners in about 10 minutes was a fair reflection of our dominance at that stage and good to see Louis get off the mark and then double it with a good finish shortly after. I'm sure he'll feel all the better for having opened his account for the season as he goes for his op.

And on to East Stirlingshire we go.

• Like 1

Was a bit of a stroll in the park really, never got out of 2nd gear and were always in control.

We should have been out of sight at half time, bossed the first half and aside from Marv's belting volley; Moult, Lucas and McManus all squandered easy looking chances. Then in true Motherwell fashion, we allow them back into the game right on half time with their only chance of the half/game. It was eerily similar to the boy's header in the friendly against Hibs a few weeks ago, cross wasn't stopped and a runner got a free header in our box.

We came out strongly in the 2nd half and in truth it looked only a matter of time before we regained the lead, two smart finishes by Moult after some good set up play by Johnson for both. Once we went two goals clear the game just sort of petered out as they never threatened a comeback and we eased off and took off our main threat in Johnson. Who was the best player on the park by an absolute mile by the way. Credit also to Moult who I gather wasn't meant to be playing today but stepped in due to injuries to Blyth and McDonald.

Fairly routine win, biggest worry for me is perhaps the lack of creativity in the middle of the park although Lucas did look a decent passer of the ball from what we did see of him. Although we also saw today how at the age of 24, he's only made half a dozen first team appearances in his career. Hopefully get another look at him before his contract runs out but with our finances and his injury record it'll be a gamble to give him any sort of long term contract.

Enjoyable day out though and a comfortable win in the end.