Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

3 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Upward momentum.

You won't need to worry about a play-off.

Quite a bold statement to make when the team currently in 11th have a game in hand over us and we are almost certainly facing back to back defeats. Plus it’s only February, there’s a long way to go yet. With the way we defend and our goalkeeper being in horrific form plus our inability to win football matches it’s seriously naive, imo, to not be worried about us being in the playoffs just now. 

7 minutes ago, MJC said:

Quite a bold statement to make when the team currently in 11th have a game in hand over us and we are almost certainly facing back to back defeats. Plus it’s only February, there’s a long way to go yet. With the way we defend and our goalkeeper being in horrific form plus our inability to win football matches it’s seriously naive, imo, to not be worried about us being in the playoffs just now. 

In the last 6 games we've taken 10 points. Ross County have taken 1. 

I take it you don't actually believe in upward momentum then?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

At the moment yes we have more of an upward momentum than Ross County but there is a long way to go and things can change quickly.

In terms of the playoff, if we finish 11th then our momentum would be downward, or so you’d think, whereas the Championship side’s momentum would be the opposite*. I’d much rather we just avoided the playoffs altogether.

*And yes, I do remember that the last time we were in the playoffs we beat the Championship side 6-1 over two legs, I’m not likely to forget it. But unfortunately none of the sides we could potentially meet in a playoff this year are managed by Stuart McCall.

31 minutes ago, MJC said:

At the moment yes we have more of an upward momentum than Ross County but there is a long way to go and things can change quickly.

In terms of the playoff, if we finish 11th then our momentum would be downward, or so you’d think, whereas the Championship side’s momentum would be the opposite*. I’d much rather we just avoided the playoffs altogether.

*And yes, I do remember that the last time we were in the playoffs we beat the Championship side 6-1 over two legs, I’m not likely to forget it. But unfortunately none of the sides we could potentially meet in a playoff this year are managed by Stuart McCall.

No.

One of them is managed by Jim Goodwin!

1 minute ago, MJC said:

There's no guarantee whichever Championship side emerges from the play-offs will have much upward momentum. They could easily finish the league season poorly and struggle through, as Rangers did, and everyone knows the whole concept is deliberately loaded against the Championship side. 

Yeah, there is a distance to go, but there's not a lot of evidence to suggest County will build a head of steam. Our defensive record may be horrific but they've 'bettered' that with a game to spare, and they'd kill for some of those useless draws we've been steadily picking up. Realistically, even that won't be enough - they need to rack up some wins, something half the league have struggled badly with this season.

The one area of concern I have is Don Cowie, who surely can't be worse than Adams, although he is saddled with the players the great man left behind. Be very interesting to see if he can get a positive result at Dens today. So, nothing's over, but I'd be a helluva lot more concerned about the top of the Championship if I was a County fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

He does. But only when it applies to teams who are playing against us.

• Like 2

It’s a reasonable statement that we would likely struggle against Dundee Utd and probably Raith if games were played now.  
And if we were to finish in 11th it would surely mean that we were on an absymal run so whoever the Championship side is would likely have a chance.  
It’s just far more unlikely that all the teams immediately below and around us are ALL going to suddenly up their games enough that ALL of them overtake us now.  
Maybe mods  could start a optimists/happy clappers vs pessimists/doomsquad week by week “playoff” debate 😉 

5 minutes ago, purestate said:

It’s a reasonable statement that we would likely struggle against Dundee Utd and probably Raith if games were played now.  
And if we were to finish in 11th it would surely mean that we were on an absymal run so whoever the Championship side is would likely have a chance.  
It’s just far more unlikely that all the teams immediately below and around us are ALL going to suddenly up their games enough that ALL of them overtake us now.  
Maybe mods  could start a optimists/happy clappers vs pessimists/doomsquad week by week “playoff” debate 😉 

Or an actual 5 a-side play-off game.

Though the doomsquad probably wouldn't see the point in turning up.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, purestate said:

We will win! 😉

2 hours ago, purestate said:

We'd ship goals to both sides of course, but after speaking to a friend who was at Starks Park last neither side could hit a barn door from 2 feet. Brown's goal was the effort of lifetime, never to be repeated.  

Former Motherwell, Hibs and Arsenal forward Peter Marinello turns 74 today. 

Born in Edinburgh, he also played for Portsmouth, Canberra City, Fulham, Phoenix Inferno, Hearts and Partick Thistle. 

After joining Arsenal for a club record £100,000 from Hibs in January 1970, a club director said: "We've just signed the nearest thing football has to The Beatles."

2 hours ago, santheman said:

Former Motherwell, Hibs and Arsenal forward Peter Marinello turns 74 today. 

Born in Edinburgh, he also played for Portsmouth, Canberra City, Fulham, Phoenix Inferno, Hearts and Partick Thistle. 

After joining Arsenal for a club record £100,000 from Hibs in January 1970, a club director said: "We've just signed the nearest thing football has to The Beatles."

Jeez o, I thought he'd popped his cloggs there.

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Johnston and Beireth starting for Sturm Graz tonight

Mika scored and was subbed after 65 minutes, but not before some quality play-acting and missing another chance. Max is playing as RB in a back four, but I've turned it off as it's a dull game in general. 

45 minutes ago, wellfan said:

What's the story with Allan Campbell? I've noticed that he's not even been on Millwall’s bench recently. I also know they've been shite and sacked their manager. 

There was talk of Luton cutting the loan short in January, but I think he's still there. Been an absolute waste of time for him.

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

No longer the last Motherwell player to score a league winner against Rangers. About time too! :nod: 

The guy’s been on good form the last week, told his co commentator to shut it when he suggested Rangers  or Celtic should sign Lennon Miller last Sunday, said on Wednesday that he should be left to continue his development at Motherwell for the next 15 seasons and topped it off tonight saying he had lost his hair twice since Motherwell last beat Rangers in the league :)

Also, he’s had more faith in the manager and squad than most of us on here this season. 

• Like 1