S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

I am sorry I just think the club were a bit rash in sacking McGhee,, as I just cannot see anyone that comes in turning things around immediately, if we do appoint someone and get relegated are we going to turn on the newly appointed manager?

I honestly think we might have survived with McGhee in charge, I agree that some of his signings has let us down and he never addressed the situation of a central defender as clearly Jules/Chalmers was not the answer, although I see potential with some of signings Blythe, Bowman and Greer.

• Like 1

I think when it comes to a new managerial appointment there's that initial rush of excitement when you see names ten aplenty linked but for me at least it very quickly becomes a fairly an anxious process. Reams and reams of uninspiring candidates linked because they're currently unemployed and desperate to get back in, folk like Craig Brown and media types trying to talk their pals into a job and all the while you've folk with distant links like Andy Walker or those who know the square root of fuck all about Motherwell like Chris Sutton chucking in their tuppenceworth.

I can't imagine it being a particularly easy or pleasant experience for the board members involved in trying to pick the right man that's for sure.

We had 80 applications last time and Flow went for someone who hadn't even applied!!!. I don't get the hype about Valakari. If he wasn't an ex player there would have been nowt mentioned about him. If we go for Robinson my trust in board would be rock bottom. Yes I am sure he is a good coach but his record at Oldham should rule him out of getting job full-time. Owen Coyle or Gary McAllister would do for me, both Ex Well Men that know the club and have a bit of experience. Not the time to try a rookie

We had 80 applications last time and Flow went for someone who hadn't even applied!!!. I don't get the hype about Valakari. If he wasn't an ex player there would have been nowt mentioned about him. If we go for Robinson my trust in board would be rock bottom. Yes I am sure he is a good coach but his record at Oldham should rule him out of getting job full-time. Owen Coyle or Gary McAllister would do for me, both Ex Well Men that know the club and have a bit of experience. Not the time to try a rookie

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story will you? The billionaire tax exile had more than a say in proceedings...

I am sorry I just think the club were a bit rash in sacking McGhee,, as I just cannot see anyone that comes in turning things around immediately, if we do appoint someone and get relegated are we going to turn on the newly appointed manager?

I honestly think we might have survived with McGhee in charge, I agree that some of his signings has let us down and he never addressed the situation of a central defender as clearly Jules/Chalmers was not the answer, although I see potential with some of signings Blythe, Bowman and Greer.

Not a popular or widely held opinion but i agree with you , i think McGhee wouldve kept us up albeit with a few more losses between now and the end of the season

Now with about 10 games to go we roll the dice and go for, in all likelyhood someone who's already there or someone with little knowledge of the league , our squad or the opposition - assisted by someone who's already there.

Im more concerned about relegation now than i was on Monday morning , hopefully im wrong as usual

Just leave that contradiction there.

I'm not saying give it to Valakari, but by all accounts he has had a more successful track record than Coyle or McAllister.

A lot of the names mentioned don't inspire me all that much, need to bring in someone who can both lift the current slump and oversee a revolution in the summer by gutting a squad littered with past it and not up to it players.

Joe Jordan is the only name mentioned so far that really excites me, but very unlikely.

Owen Coyle of St.Johnstone, Burnley then yes - but his recent track record has been dire. Again, think he may be unlikely.

McAllister would be unlikely as well given his media role.

Valakari potentially carries too much risk short term - as would Van der Gaag and Niijholt. If we were already safe, then they'd have more of a case for the gig in the summer.

As much as I have no love for the judas now, we do need someone in the vein of Craig Brown who can come in and sure things up and see us over the finish line. Jim Duffy would have been a perfect candidate until his rantings today.

Giving it to Robinson or Criagan in the short term wouldn't inspire confidence in me either as they are part of the McGhee's team and I really feel we need some fresh ideas injected into the club.

Not opposed to Stubbs either I suppose, but wouldn't be my first choice.

• Like 1

Aye, you know that Joe Jordan thats got a better track record than Owen Coyle, the Joe Jordan that hasnt managed a team for fuck only knows how long, that yin.

I literally had no idea what those guys stats were, but amazingly Jordan's win rate is 42.67% in 450 games and Coyle's is 39.32% over 440 games.

I'd be amazed to see Jordan manage any other team in his career though. He seems quite content in the work he does now.

Suspect it was the latter. And anyway I've always had the impression McGhee wasn't very much of a "team" man.

Craigan was asked about this by Sutton on BT yesterday and was adamant that Robinson came back with McGhees blessing. Whether it was the club or McGhee who made initial contact or floated the idea he was a bit more vague on though.

Aye, you know that Joe Jordan thats got a better track record than Owen Coyle, the Joe Jordan that hasnt managed a team for fuck only knows how long, that yin.

Joe Jordan must be pushing 70, and hasn't been a number 1 for 20 years.

He's an ancient Steve Robinson.

65, out of work, a local lad and with a reputation as one of the finest coaches in the Premiership era down south, massive network of contacts, applauded for his work with youth and has a firm old school no nonsense approach.

Never said give him the job - said it excited me. Think he is exactly the kind of character we could do with.

Also said it's very unlikely.

Craigan was asked about this by Sutton on BT yesterday and was adamant that Robinson came back with McGhees blessing. Whether it was the club or McGhee who made initial contact or floated the idea he was a bit more vague on though.

fwiw, I find the idea that Robinson was brought in with a view to providing a bit of experience in light of McGhee's impending suspension pretty plausible tbh. Especially as it'd have been McGhee's 2nd suspension in a short space of time and could be quite substantial.

Yip John gardiner was defenatly the worst keeper we have ever had then Samson and the Marshall

Are you actually suggesting that Gordon Marshall was in our top three worst 'keepers? I think that's a ludicrous shout. He had two bad high profile games within a fortnight of each other (both against Rangers) but otherwise he was really good for us I thought, especially thinking of the Hearts semi and Skippy Sunday.

I've been going to games since 1997 and I can easily say I'd have Marshall over Woods, Kaven, Brown, Dubourdeau, Corr, Smith, Meldrum, Fraser, Hollis, Nielsen, Twardzik, Long and Samson without having to think about it.

• Like 2

STV evening news last night reported that Mark McGhee himself had asked that Robinson be brought back in temporarily.