S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

I'm hearing that Coyle was the man the board wanted, he initially suggested that he would be up for it and then reneged on that when he was informed that taking on a role so soon after being bagged by Blackburn would harm his compensation payments from them...

...now, if this is true (and I was told right at the start of this that Coyle was a shoe-in for the job), then it looks to me like we have at least had a plan in our heads for who we wanted to replace McGhee. Unfortunately, something outwith our control has scuppered that deal and left us scrambling about a wee bit.

That would certainly tie in with a story I was told previously about Paul Lambert, also at Blackburn funnily enough, when he was linked with but wasn't appointed to a couple of other jobs after leaving Ewood Park.

Same kind of thing. If he was to take the position it would impact on the compensation which in his case was said to be worth more than the salary at the proposed new employer. It was said that when you see managers go off the radar for a time often it isn't so much recharging the batteries as is suggested but more that their pay-off terms change if they take a new job.

I always thought that managerial compensations were adjusted to take into account new earnings. For example Manager X is given £100k total compensation for a year. He takes up a new job immediately for £50k per year and so his compensation is reduced by £50k. Clearly its more complicated.

I always take what any newspaper says with large pinches of salt, but the Daily Rancid is carrying a story which they say came from a source at the club which if it was true might indicate that Robinson was in fact third choice after Coyle and Hughes both pulled out at the eleventh hour. Incidentally, a few posters on this board have hinted at the Coyle situation.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that there is any truth in any of this but I still believe the entire affair has been handled very poorly and at a time when our SPFL survival is at stake. It seems to me that they have turned what on the face of it should have been a fairly straightforward routine process (after all they have had plenty of previous practice) into a three ring circus. It smacks of management by committee which never works in any sphere and I believe this was confirmed when I read the statement from the club chairman, which said that the Executive Board, the Supervisory Board and the 'Well Society had all had their hands on the tiller. So not management by one committee but three! For me, it begs the question, just exactly who is running the club?

Please don't misunderstand me on this, I love Motherwell FC and will always be there supporting them but I really do fear that the fan ownership model, however laudable and well-intentioned will turn out to be the catalyst to our downfall. Hope I'm wrong. C'mon the Dossers.

I'm hearing that Coyle was the man the board wanted, he initially suggested that he would be up for it and then reneged on that when he was informed that taking on a role so soon after being bagged by Blackburn would harm his compensation payments from them...

Thats the type of appointment you make in the Summer if you ask me.

A lot of managers starts off with an unspectacular cv, Owen Coyles isn't that clever at the minute, so I am glad he knocked us back and somebody like Robbo gets a chance to prove himself.

I always take what any newspaper says with large pinches of salt, but the Daily Rancid is carrying a story which they say came from a source at the club which if it was true might indicate that Robinson was in fact third choice after Coyle and Hughes both pulled out at the eleventh hour. Incidentally, a few posters on this board have hinted at the Coyle situation.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that there is any truth in any of this but I still believe the entire affair has been handled very poorly and at a time when our SPFL survival is at stake. It seems to me that they have turned what on the face of it should have been a fairly straightforward routine process (after all they have had plenty of previous practice) into a three ring circus.

I'd think twice before placing too much emphasis on red top stories and we don't know what went on behind closed doors. However if this particular rumour is true I don't know how they could have handled it any better. If 2 candidates, irrespective of how they arrived on short leet, pull out of their own volition then I don't see how the Directors could be blamed for that.

• Like 2

I'd think twice before placing too much on red top stories and we don't know what gone on behind closed doors. However if this particular rumour is true I don't know how they could have handled it any better. If 2 candidates, irrespective of how they arrived on short leet, pull out of their own volition then I don't see how the Directors could be blamed for that.

Agree with this

It may be true Robinson was not 1st choice and it may be true that others pulled out at the 11th hour. But I am not sure how anyone can state categorically - the process was mismanaged or handled poorly, unless you are in receipt of the FULL facts then that is just conjecture, nothing more, nothing less.

As it happens I am not convinced by Coyle. I am not sure he is what we needed and the fact he has not been around Scottish football suggest that would have been a bigger gamble. Hughes I could have lived with, but why would he pull out from moving from Raith Rovers to Motherwell. Even if we were relegated we would be a better option....

I'm not sure how it could be regarded as a three-ring circus. They interviewed a few people and selected one. Even if it's true that people withdrew from the process at some stage, that is pretty normal in any recruitment once candidates get to discuss the opportunity.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that's had an interview and then decided a particular job wasn't for me. Sometimes because of the company itself, sometimes because of the salary, sometimes because I have a better offer elsewhere.

Our club never gives details of the process to the media - quite rightly in my opinion - and for some reason, that leads to a fair chunk of people on here branding us incompetent. Apart from publically announcing the names of every Steelmen Online posters' favourite candidate, I'm not sure what could be done differently to keep everyone happy.

• Like 1

A lot of managers starts off with an unspectacular cv, Owen Coyles isn't that clever at the minute, so I am glad he knocked us back and somebody like Robbo gets a chance to prove himself.

Skewed thinking that. Inexperience over Experience?

Moot point, but, Owen Coyle had a stellar record in Scotland before moving Southwards. Relative success then moves to clubs at varying stages of crisis - could've been here with a point to prove & rebuild.

All the best to Mr Robinson, just need to remember he has the signing of Josh Law on his CV, I'd say that wasn't too clever.

Thats the type of appointment you make in the Summer if you ask me.

I agree with this 100%. Particularly regarding the length of contract and questioning how a gup with Robinson's CV becomes the outstanding candidate...

The apparent leaks don't show the club in a very good light at all.

People knew McGhee was getting sacked before he did? Coyle is the man the club really wanted and Robinson was just a second choice? If true, these sort of things shouldn't be coming out in public so quickly and easily.

People complain about the board being amateurish and I usually completely disagree but not in this case...

Where is this John Hughes line coming from, it keeps repeating, now with added bonus of he knocked us back?

Not like Flow has specifically mentioned he wasn't interviewed or that is it.

Unless I've missed something the only comment I've seen from Flow re: Hughes is him saying he didn't apply for the job. Again, it's semantics but it's a completely different thing saying "he didn't apply" than "we sounded him out and he decided to see out his contract at Raith" especially in the context of having appointed someone else.

I've no idea whether we did or didn't but semantics can be quite important in that respect.

McManus was talking about Hughes on radio last night as the other name in frame. Granted, he was going on the reported headlines but I reckon the experienced players would have known who the club were talking to.

The Coyle story makes perfect sense to me and ties in with a few snippets I heard at the outset. I'm also led to believe the club's initial offer to Robinson was until the end of the season.

McManus was talking about Hughes on radio last night as the other name in frame. Granted, he was going on the reported headlines but I reckon the experienced players would have known who the club were talking to.

The Coyle story makes perfect sense to me and ties in with a few snippets I heard at the outset. I'm also led to believe the club's initial offer was to Robinson was until the end of the season.

FWIW I'm +1 on the Coyle story making complete sense but unfortunately I've less by way of ITK sources (and by less I mean none). Looking at the timeline it ties everything together pretty well. In an optics sense having that story leaked doesn't do the club that much harm as far as I can see, at the very least it indicates that they had an initial plan in place that fitted in a lot more with what the "fans" would have hoped for by way of an appointment.

As far as the Robinson contract goes, all things told it seems he had a small amount of leverage and he's used it to get an additional year on his deal. I'm not going to criticise him for that. By the same token I'd go as far as to say that extra year is probably worth less than the risk of appointing someone like Valakari at this point in time.

Edit to add: hearing about the Coyle stuff actually made me feel a bit better about the Robinson appointment in a broader sense. Not that I was sat in the bath reaching for a toaster or anything when they announced it but having some plausible context made the whole thing sit a bit better for me.

• Like 1

For what it's worth....you decide...the Coyle and Hughes story source has been verified by a boy I know who is a sub for the Daily Record.

Have folk speculating on here actually read the article? If the record is accurate, then Hughes wasn't first choice, second choice or fifth choice.

"Hughes had been considered as a serious contender"

That means nothing. As does any of this speculation. Because unless you hear something with a bit of detail from one of the horses mouths, then it's all fairly meaningless.

Lets speculate Coyle was, on paper, the front-runner. Whose to say Robinsons interview didn't blow the panel away with his vision, ethos and understanding of the needs of the club (which if you listen to his interviews, is entirely possible). Let's speculate that it was enough to put him a very close second with Coyle, with the panel deliberating over their decision. Let's speculate that Coyle did indeed withdraw, along with 'serious contender' Hughes. Does that mean Robinson is a panic appointment at the end of a mismanaged process?

I've heard enough from Robinson to fill me with confidence that's he's a smart guy with his finger on the pulse of the club and to honest, I canny be bothered picking this all apart in the same way others do. Quite content with him in charge regardless of the circumstances.

• Like 1

The apparent leaks don't show the club in a very good light at all.

People knew McGhee was getting sacked before he did? Coyle is the man the club really wanted and Robinson was just a second choice? If true, these sort of things shouldn't be coming out in public so quickly and easily.

People complain about the board being amateurish and I usually completely disagree but not in this case...

Stu that's exactly my point but I think you have made it more succinctly than me.