Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Hamilton Academical Wed 5 Apr 19:45

Yabba's Turd

We have a relatively favorable run in, but we still need to put in the work to get the results, and the other teams will see us as a chance to pick up points. I'll take a last minute controversial penalty scored on the third rebound tomorrow as long as we get the win.

Over to you Motherwell. A win tomorrow and we go 9th (or joint 8th if you prefer), 6 points ahead of Inverness, 4 ahead of Accies and nip above Dundee by a point.

A big opportunity.

If we win by 8 goals I think we go clear into 8th.

I can see it from milo's and al's point of view. When I was younger I was definitely in the milo club of letting a defeat leave me in a mood for at least a day as Motherwell were high up in my list of priorities in life.

Now I'm older and have kids, there is a lot more perspective regarding a defeat and even after the most gut wrenching defeat at ibrox in the cup, I was gutted and upset for a wee while then the wife and kids came back from wherever they were and it was more or less forgotten about.

Cheesy things I never thought I'd say when I was 16 and 17 thread for this pish

I think most people would agree that your family, etc are more important than the result of any football match- Motherwell fans in particular shouldn't need any reminders of perspective after December 2007, but I can't relate to someone who has forgotten about it by the time they get back to the car. I still find myself furious or delighted about the Motherwell result often on a Monday morning as I head to work to dissect it with colleagues who support different clubs.

Also, to anyone who does forget about it after two minutes, how would you feel if the ultimate happened and the club went bust? Similar to if the council closed your local library? Sounds facetious but it's a genuine question- I honestly can't fathom a football club being a 90 minute hobby for someone.

• Like 2

The days of it bothering me, still, on a Monday morning are long gone for me. I wouldn't quite say I was fine 5 minutes later, but for example I went to the Dundee game recently with a Dundee supporting mate and sat in the Main Stand with him. Half an hour after the game, we were laughing in the pub talking about other stuff. It no longer has THAT effect on my life.

Don't get me wrong, I still have that feeling when Motherwell score and when Motherwell win, but that the extremes of winning and losing aren't as far apart as they used to be.

If Motherwell went bust tomorrow? I'd be sad. I'd be disappointed. However, my life would carry on just fine. Where I am now, there are many, many more important things in life than Motherwell FC.

• Like 1

The days of it bothering me, still, on a Monday morning are long gone for me. I wouldn't quite say I was fine 5 minutes later, but for example I went to the Dundee game recently with a Dundee supporting mate and sat in the Main Stand with him. Half an hour after the game, we were laughing in the pub talking about other stuff. It no longer has THAT effect on my life.

Don't get me wrong, I still have that feeling when Motherwell score and when Motherwell win, but that the extremes of winning and losing aren't as far apart as they used to be.

If Motherwell went bust tomorrow? I'd be sad. I'd be disappointed. However, my life would carry on just fine. Where I am now, there are many, many more important things in life than Motherwell FC.

I'm probably closer to your view than Fraz's. Whilst I wouldn't say I am over it immediately after a poor result, I cant remember the last time I woke up on a Sunday morning when it was still bothering me. I used to watch highlights and dissect every error shown but that is long gone, with me rarely even watching highlights out with those shown on Goals on Sunday.

Everyone is different, but for me its more than a hobby but not my life.

I'm 29, married and have a decent job. Doesn't mean Motherwell mean any less than what they did when I was in my teens. Win tonight and I'll be buzzing for days, lose and I'll not be able to talk about it. It's my nature but not everybody's the same

• Like 1

Its an interesting debate. Results definitely dont impact me as much as they used to. I still love it and get a buzz when we win but the lows of a bad result / poor performance definitely dont grag on as long. The drive back to Ayrshire is usually sufficient time to get it out my system. Conversely though, as I get older, I find the club itself means more to me than it maybe did before. Its become part of who I am as an individual. I find myself getting particularly emotional looking back at past achievments, players no longer with us, the changes to the local area which have impacted greatly on the viability of the club. I would be devestated more now if we went under than I would have in 2002. All part of life's rich tapestry I guess?

• Like 2

Also, to anyone who does forget about it after two minutes, how would you feel if the ultimate happened and the club went bust? Similar to if the council closed your local library? Sounds facetious but it's a genuine question- I honestly can't fathom a football club being a 90 minute hobby for someone.

I'd feel like I did when Home & Away moved to Channel 5. I'd be a bit annoyed that other people were still enjoying it, but I soon found something better to watch ;)

I seriously think if we dont win tomorrow night we are done for. It will merely reinforce my fast developing view that we just cannot beat teams particularly with the frequency we need to get out the mess we are in. Whereas a win might just kick start a late season revival

Find myself nodding to this sadly.

With age, the effects of a loss have become less significant for me. As a teenager, I'd have been distraught for days at a loss like the one against Dundee, but I brushed it off and enjoyed my Saturday night. My almost-teenage son, was different though, it looked like his World had just caved in around about him when I met him after the match. In my teens and early twenties, all I had to worry about was getting myself to school or work on time, scraping enough cash together to get a swally at at the weekend and the entry fee to Fir Park, and when I was next going to get my hole. Nowadays there are so many other things on my mind that going along on a Saturday is genuinely a release, and just about as soon as I've sat my arse back in my car after the match I'm back to thinking of what is on my 'to-do-list', along with wondering when I'll next get my hole, and the poor result tends to go out my head pretty quickly. Kids, money, work, running a fitba' team, a moaning Mrs...so many things that take my mind off Motherwells latest fuck-up.

The effects of a win though, are still highly significant, I still get the buzz of walking out at the end of 90mins having watched us take 3 points, and it can be the difference between buying one bottle of red or two, on my way home and it also makes going into work slightly easier on the Monday morning.

Maybe I've built up some sort of resistance to negative results over the years, or maybe it just come with maturity, that really it is only a game and not the end of the World. Relegation doesn't scare my as much now as it once did for example, its the nature of the beast.

How would I feel if Motherwell went bust? I'd be utterly devastated...a poor result or relegation is one thing, but losing a thing that has been part of my life since before I can remember, something that offers that release from a working week and something that I share with my kids and hopefully will with grandkids is a completely different question.

As for the game tonight? Its utterly massive, our biggest game of the season...not because its a local derby, but because a win will put a bit of light between us and the teams in 11th and 12th, it will also go someway to proving that we are too good to be down there, that our squad of players is more than adequate to be competing in this league and that over the past 3 weeks or so we have seen some measure of improvement, a loss though sees us dragged right into those relegation places and will really set us up for a critical end to the season.

For what its worth, I think we'll win relatively comfortably, if we go at them from the 1st to the last, they'll struggle to cope with what we have in advanced positions.

• Like 3

As much as we like to talk about goal difference, I can't remember us ever having to rely on that. It's all about the points right now, and that is 100% up to us.

We do need to score more than one, though, as we never win 1 - 0.