Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Hamilton Academical Wed 5 Apr 19:45

Yabba's Turd

With age, the effects of a loss have become less significant for me. As a teenager, I'd have been distraught for days at a loss like the one against Dundee, but I brushed it off and enjoyed my Saturday night. My almost-teenage son, was different though, it looked like his World had just caved in around about him when I met him after the match. In my teens and early twenties, all I had to worry about was getting myself to school or work on time, scraping enough cash together to get a swally at at the weekend and the entry fee to Fir Park, and when I was next going to get my hole. Nowadays there are so many other things on my mind that going along on a Saturday is genuinely a release, and just about as soon as I've sat my arse back in my car after the match I'm back to thinking of what is on my 'to-do-list', along with wondering when I'll next get my hole, and the poor result tends to go out my head pretty quickly. Kids, money, work, running a fitba' team, a moaning Mrs...so many things that take my mind off Motherwells latest fuck-up.

The effects of a win though, are still highly significant, I still get the buzz of walking out at the end of 90mins having watched us take 3 points, and it can be the difference between buying one bottle of red or two, on my way home and it also makes going into work slightly easier on the Monday morning.

Maybe I've built up some sort of resistance to negative results over the years, or maybe it just come with maturity, that really it is only a game and not the end of the World. Relegation doesn't scare my as much now as it once did for example, its the nature of the beast.

How would I feel if Motherwell went bust? I'd be utterly devastated...a poor result or relegation is one thing, but losing a thing that has been part of my life since before I can remember, something that offers that release from a working week and something that I share with my kids and hopefully will with grandkids is a completely different question.

Kind of sums it up for me. I figure it's simple. As you get older, you realise there are worse things than losing a football match. And sadly as you get older, you also realise that nothing gives you the buzz of winning a match. Good times still feel great, bad times I can shrug off easier...
  • Like 1

Its an interesting debate. Results definitely dont impact me as much as they used to. I still love it and get a buzz when we win but the lows of a bad result / poor performance definitely dont drag on as long.

Funnily enough, I'm the exact opposite. The all-too-rare wins are quite quickly forgotten, but my wife can tell up to three days later by my sour puss when we've suffered another defeat.

I would no longer walk a million miles for one of our goals, but having said that, I'd sacrifice my first-born for a scrappy 1-0 win tonight.

I'm very much in agreement with this take on it. Yes, I can be pissed off after a defeat but am normally over it by the time I drive home - nobody would listen to me anyway. A win though can lift my mood for a decent period and have me looking on here and searching for highlights.

What's the story with lee Lucas? Is he injured again? He's not featuring on the bench and I'm guessing that Shea Gordon hasn't completely leap frogged him?

Is Tait fit for tonight?

I'm guessing mcHugh will be CB again as I assume we can't trust Zak attack and Big Ben to pair up again?

I still haven't recovered from losing to Airdrie in the Scottish Cup Semi-Final replay.

In general, though, with the time differences involved, if we lose on a Saturday I'm over it by the time I have my lunch.

• Like 2

Its an interesting debate. Results definitely dont impact me as much as they used to. I still love it and get a buzz when we win but the lows of a bad result / poor performance definitely dont grag on as long.

I'm the same as this. When we win I'm buzzing through til Tuesday, win tonight and I'll be buzzing til Maryhill on Saturday.

Lose? I'll be over it by the time I'm at Airbles. There's a couple of losses that hang around (Odense) as bad memories, but they're pretty few and far between.

If Motherwell went out of business? I'd just go support The Motherwell. #enjoyingthejourney

Also the Hearts Texaco Cup and Rangers 1970s semi-final games. I still cry myself to sleep thinking about them. However, I’m over any recent heartaches in a few hours. :biggrin:

The Rangers semi, for some reason, doesn't bother me as much. Probably because it was pretty standard shenanigans for those days. The Texaco Cup defeat was worse. Neither as bad for me as the Airdrie semi, though. That was the first time as a wean that I really felt the buzz of expectation and the misery of defeat.

Some less than flattering stats for both teams ahead of this one. Accies haven't won away all season and are currently on a 7 game losing streak away from home.

We have taken 1 point from our last 7 home games with our last home win coming in mid November.

Also the Hearts Texaco Cup and Rangers 1970s semi-final games. I still cry myself to sleep thinking about them. However, I’m over any recent heartaches in a few hours. :biggrin:

Stevie Woods is infamous for his assist to Durie but the one that hangs in my memory is Corrigan's 'pass back' in the last minute of the League Cup semi final where we had outplayed Celtic and looked good for an extra time win.

Some idiot just set up a meeting for 3pm at work and we are 6 hours behind so right at 9pm how am I going to be any use in that meeting? Unless of ocure we are already 4 up :-)

You need to blank out your calendar for these big time events

• Like 1