International Players Thread

GazzyB

33 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Well Stevie Clark showed tonight he doesn’t rate Liam Kelly . A nothing friendly and he doesn’t give him a half hope nothing happens to Gordon in the future cause we haven’t tested another goalkeeper in a international match 

Scotland will go nowhere with Clarke in charge, he's a clueless fud, every squad he picks is filled with 6 or 7 players he has no intention of playing, so it's the same core players failing time after time. He has players like Campbell,  Turnbull, and Kelly available  but never get a look in its a disgrace.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Scotland will go nowhere with Clarke in charge, he's a clueless fud, every squad he picks is filled with 6 or 7 players he has no intention of playing, so it's the same core players failing time after time. He has players like Campbell,  Turnbull, and Kelly available  but never get a look in its a disgrace.

Kelly should tell him to stick his team up his jacksie.

It's not just because he plays for us but not giving kelly atleast 45 minutes in that game was madness,it would have been an ideal time to try him out,a game away from home to a decent side to see how he reacts to international football.gordon is number one and that's fine but are we just going to wait until he retires and then spend however long seeing who is upto the job as his replacement.

Clark is clearly backing Gordon as his no.1 and I wouldnt be surprised if, Gordon at least, doesnt have an eye on Jim Leightons record goalkeeper caps.  Im all for continuity down the spine of a team if it allows others to be introduced into the team in a structured manner. That said, I would have started Ramsay and possibly Ferguson and given Kelly at least the 2nd half to get his first cap out the way. I also think, not that it should have been in doubt, that we should ditch the 3-5-2. We were far more effective in the second half with four at the back.

15 hours ago, Yodo said:

Well Stevie Clark showed tonight he doesn’t rate Liam Kelly . A nothing friendly and he doesn’t give him a half hope nothing happens to Gordon in the future cause we haven’t tested another goalkeeper in a international match 

I reckon he is so anti-another keeper like Kelly that he would rather bring back Marshall should Gordon be unavailable. Dont understand his thinking at all.

5 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

I reckon he is so anti-another keeper like Kelly that he would rather bring back Marshall should Gordon be unavailable. Dont understand his thinking at all.

His short-sighted inflexibility has proven that he doesn't think. 

This might be unpopular on here, but I dont actually think Kelly is an international class goalkeeper. 

And before we get into the semantics of what that actually means, I do think he is probably the best alternative to Gordon we have right now that is available for selection.

For that reason alone, I agree he should at least have got the second half so his first cap isnt when he is being thrown in during a vital qualifier if Gordon is injured.

But lets not kid ourselves. Kelly is a good shotstopper. But he isnt tall enough, doesnt command the 6 yard box and his distribution is rank. Very good keeper at our level and Im delighted to have him at Motherwell, but he is likely to be exposed playing for Scotland.

Marshall (and dare I say McGregor) are still both better keepers so saying Stevie Clarke would bring Marshall back if he could shouldnt really be a surprise, I would too. But they have both retired, so on that basis Kelly should have got game time last night.

I do hope for the national teams sake though, that Craig Gordon can go on for some time yet.

• Like 1

I can just about begrudgingly understand it. Gordon has been an unbelievably loyal servant to his country. He’s never let us down and is still going to Turkey in the middle of November despite having a family, no questions asked. He is in his twilight years and after all his injury trouble is probably cherishing every moment playing for Scotland. If he wants to play he should be allowed to play as much as he wants.

But I agree Kelly should be given 45 minutes at least once.

Just on the subject of Gordon, I saw a stat yesterday that He has faced the 2nd most shots in the league, think Kelly was 4th most 

I know they say a good goalie can win you a few points a season but Gordon's contribution must be well into double figures.

As others have said a half each and they would both have got a cap 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

This might be unpopular on here, but I dont actually think Kelly is an international class goalkeeper. 

And before we get into the semantics of what that actually means, I do think he is probably the best alternative to Gordon we have right now that is available for selection.

For that reason alone, I agree he should at least have got the second half so his first cap isnt when he is being thrown in during a vital qualifier if Gordon is injured.

But lets not kid ourselves. Kelly is a good shotstopper. But he isnt tall enough, doesnt command the 6 yard box and his distribution is rank. Very good keeper at our level and Im delighted to have him at Motherwell, but he is likely to be exposed playing for Scotland.

Marshall (and dare I say McGregor) are still both better keepers so saying Stevie Clarke would bring Marshall back if he could shouldnt really be a surprise, I would too. But they have both retired, so on that basis Kelly should have got game time last night.

I do hope for the national teams sake though, that Craig Gordon can go on for some time yet.

Totally see where you coming from.  Kelly's height and distribution can work against him. What I don't understand is why if he is no.2 is Clarke isn't prepared to give him a game for experience. Gordon still no.1 which can't be argued against but he's nearly 40. Euros will be his last campaign 

• Like 1

Max was good going forward first half. Second half he struggled and if he played in the league for us teams would target him.

Second half Iceland changed tactics to account for the fact that Scotland had nothing on the left hand side and neither Smith or Doak were tracking back and got their two goals to win the game. Scott Gemmill shown up as a clown again but him and Billy Stark seem to be in jobs for life.  

Despite that it was a good game and Scotland had the chances to be out of sight. Doak and Morrison were stand outs and if Doig and Ramsay were available they would have won easily. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

But lets not kid ourselves. Kelly is a good shotstopper.

Sorry, this is the absolute bare minimum required for a goalkeeper at any level, above that you rate organisation, command of the box etc. You're right about him not being international class, but shot stopping is why you are even trained to play the position.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Sorry, this is the absolute bare minimum required for a goalkeeper at any level, above that you rate organisation, command of the box etc. You're right about him not being international class, but shot stopping is why you are even trained to play the position.

Glad you agree with me!

But we have had keepers in the past who didnt even make that benchmark.

John Gardiner springs to mind.....

• Like 1