2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

7 hours ago, Kmac said:

Aarons isn’t a bad signing. It actually makes a lot of sense considering that Hammell still seems to want to play 3 up top and both Efford and Morris are absolutely pish - so we needed another option. 

We are still a CB, CM and CF short

Good assessment. We could be 2 CB's short (ideally have 3 decent CB's in total)  which doesn't reflect well on the multiple CB's we have on our squad. Including some of the youngsters that are now in their 20s. 

Appreciate the challenge of being late to the window.  We've beefed up the wide areas and LB which was important. 

For CM we miss Campbell and I worry about playing 3 man midfield that includes Goss/Slatttery , neither work hard enough to get away with a 3 man midfield.  McGinn could be the short term answer.

Overall hoping that we move as many players as we bring in.  Tomorrow could be a very busy day. 

1 hour ago, Wishielad said:

I wonder what the impact it has on the performance of defenders when they have a keeper (who most fans think can do no wrong) continually fails to even attempt to come and claim balls into the box?

Kelly is a very good keeper, but yes you're right, he's poor in the air  and always has been.  Therefore the manager has to adapt his defensive tactics to compensate for him.  If he was good in the air then he wouldn't be with us. 

8 hours ago, Kmac said:

Aarons isn’t a bad signing. It actually makes a lot of sense considering that Hammell still seems to want to play 3 up top and both Efford and Morris are absolutely pish - so we needed another option. 

What is doesn’t change however is that we have less than 48 hours to get the spine of the team sorted.  

We are still a CB, CM and CF short

I’m going to predict that’s not going to happen.

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

It 100% did.  I agree Kelly could have come and claimed it and I notice that he is not very adept at coming out for crosses. But anytime when a player can score with a header a few yards from the goal then the defence has been found wanting.  

Sol had plenty of time to judge the ball but not for the 1st time it went sailing over his head. He should be dealing with that more than I would blame Goss. That is his job. I like Sol and when balls come straight at him he is excellent. But when he gets his positioning wrong and is backtracking he is pretty useless sadly. 

Are we talking about the whole team defensively?then i would agree with u..but t single out our back 4 when our front men dont track back and we r too short of numbers in the midfield t stop the crosses at source,thats more my worry, the chances we gave up against killie was ridiculous and st midden well we got away with one there thanks t kelly

42 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Kelly is a very good keeper, but yes you're right, he's poor in the air  and always has been.  Therefore the manager has to adapt his defensive tactics to compensate for him.  If he was good in the air then he wouldn't be with us. 

For me it was never Kelly's ball to come for, was it Goss supposed to be  marking Taylor and just let him run past him for a free header, and if Sol had  been further over to cover he would have got the ball instead of the half arsed attempt he made. 

16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Aberdeen won a league title and a European trophy with a keeper that rarely moved off his line. 

They just used guys like McLeish and Rougvie to deal with high balls. 

And that plan worked well enough on Saturday until Lafferty went off. Maybe we relaxed a bit when Lafferty went off and did not readjust our set up at set pieces immediately. Leaving Goss to mark Taylor was clearly an error.  No doubt that is something SH will be looking at.

Strikes me that if Kelly is weak at dealing with cross balls as is suggested, then how come for two years we have chosen to play narrow at the back, conceding the wide areas and defending the inevitable barrage of cross balls? I see that under SH the full backs have been playing much wider and maybe that is an indication that he has identified the flaw in our previous game plan. It would not surprise me if SH wants to eventually go with 3 Centre Backs and 2 Wing Backs  perhaps giving Kelly more protection from those cross balls. But that will take time and depends on recruitment.

Come on now Kelly has earned us more points I have lost count sure everyone is up for criticism but think he gets a wee pass now and again.

Like I said before we have a lack of people in the midfield that can tackle in this team more a proper box to box midfielder this is where the midfield lacks.

If Goss was ment to be marking Taylor I would question that why that's  the case Goss is about 5 10 max and Taylor looks about 6 3 ish.Poor goals to lose whatever way you look at it  at alot of the goals we have lost this season alot of them have been utter howlers.For a set of players in defence that's near enough been together for at least a year bar McGinn it blows my mind the sloppy they are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dennyc said:

And that plan worked well enough on Saturday until Lafferty went off. Maybe we relaxed a bit when Lafferty went off and did not readjust our set up at set pieces immediately. Leaving Goss to mark Taylor was clearly an error.  No doubt that is something SH will be looking at.

Strikes me that if Kelly is weak at dealing with cross balls as is suggested, then how come for two years we have chosen to play narrow at the back, conceding the wide areas and defending the inevitable barrage of cross balls? I see that under SH the full backs have been playing much wider and maybe that is an indication that he has identified the flaw in our previous game plan. It would not surprise me if SH wants to eventually go with 3 Centre Backs and 2 Wing Backs  perhaps giving Kelly more protection from those cross balls. But that will take time and depends on recruitment.

Totally agree wi u on that..lamie is excellent in the air both up front and in defense and bevis beat ronaldo t the highest headed goal title,but if we continually give up easy crosses into the box then somethings going t give 3 5 2 wi wing backs is my preference 

6 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Totally agree wi u on that..lamie is excellent in the air both up front and in defense and bevis beat ronaldo t the highest headed goal title,but if we continually give up easy crosses into the box then somethings going t give 3 5 2 wi wing backs is my preference 

Yes, never understand the concept of letting opposition fire in crosses and deal with them. Don’t care how good your central defenders are or even how good your goalie commands the box, as you state, if enough crosses come in then goals will follow. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Aberdeen won a league title and a European trophy with a keeper that rarely moved off his line. 

They just used guys like McLeish and Rougvie to deal with high balls. 

We've had better keepers that never enjoyed the adulation Kelly receives. His distribution is poor and he's often slow to spot an opportunity to start an attack. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I can't believe Kelly is now coming under fire if we hadn't got him in on loan back in Dec 2020 we wouldn't even be in this division as we would have had Chapman in goals.....jeez...scary

we need more signings to stop us losing the plot. The day Kelly becomes our weak link I'd be bloody delighted with what the rest of the squad looks like. 

Kelly was player of the year and man of the match in just about every game he played.  

A brilliant shot stopper and personal view his distribution is one of the best in the team. Wish we had more players who can ping it +30 yards and find the right man. 

He won't come for crosses or come off his line. Nor did Goram + plenty of others.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I can't believe Kelly is now coming under fire if we hadn't got him in on loan back in Dec 2020 we wouldn't even be in this division as we would have had Chapman in goals.....jeez...scary

A couple of things.  No one is saying Kelly is a bad keeper. But...

If we hadn't got Kelly, we would have signed someone else. No way Chapman was staying as number 1. Maybe Kelly gets overpraised on the basis of who he  replaced? And got overpraised on the basis he was only one of two or three performing anywhere near adequately at that time.

He's a very good keeper. But I'd argue he's not even in our top three in the last 15 years...

32 minutes ago, Wishielad said:

We've had better keepers that never enjoyed the adulation Kelly receives. His distribution is poor and he's often slow to spot an opportunity to start an attack. 

There might be a few areas of his game that stand scrutiny - his distribution isn't one of them. He passes the ball better than any of the outfield players we have.

36 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

He's certainly the top 1 from last 2-3 seasons. 

Agree we've gone through some great spells with excellent keepers  @MelvinBragg Who's in your top 3 from last 15 years ?   Ruddy.......Randolph.......

My top 3 from past 40 years are Gardiner....... Chapman and Woods........yes ...that is another grizzly joke

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

He's certainly the top 1 from last 2-3 seasons. 

Agree we've gone through some great spells with excellent keepers  @MelvinBragg Who's in your top 3 from last 15 years ?   Ruddy.......Randolph.......

Randolph, Gillespie and Carson were all better than Kelly. And again he's a very good keeper. Just not as good as those three...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

My top 3 from past 40 years are Gardiner....... Chapman and Woods........yes ...that is another grizzly joke

Woods,if ur old enough t go back 40 years then you'll remember him being the best winger we had,for a number of minutes against clydebank lol

• David locked this topic