2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

29 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Ah! The mutual offload you peddled weeks back. Doesn’t work in theory never mind in practise. Give it up

What I suggested above wasn't a 'mutual offload', it was a manager freezing a player out in the hope that the player then sought to leave. That scenario is not beyond the realms of possibility. 

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

What I suggested above wasn't a 'mutual offload', it was a manager freezing a player out in the hope that the player then sought to leave. That scenario is not beyond the realms of possibility. 

Whatever. It’s the same myth you spoke of previously. Some would suggest questionable behaviour tant amount to workplace bullying, but, that’ll be for the players’ union to debate.

Going beyond your realms of possibility, how does this make us stronger? The thinking it frees up a wage just because player X seeks to leave is folly. That’s the reality.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

It's only a myth because you refuse to accept any other viewpoint than your own. 

Behave yourself. Not any other viewpoint, yours is easy to disprove. Still never answered the question - how does your possibility make us stronger?

But, hey if it gets you a like or two batter in 👍

15 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Whatever. It’s the same myth you spoke of previously. Some would suggest questionable behaviour tant amount to workplace bullying, but, that’ll be for the players’ union to debate.

Going beyond your realms of possibility, how does this make us stronger? The thinking it frees up a wage just because player X seeks to leave is folly. That’s the reality.

Why is it folly? If a player is unfavoured by the manager for any reason and not getting game time, does not like the clubs methods, family can't settle in the area or just told by the manager your not in my plans, feel free to find another club etc etc then he might actively seek a transfer elsewhere. Now if they can be sold fair enough, but if not and the player really wants a move the contract can be terminated "by mutual agreement" I think is the phrase used.

Yes this will probably result in some form of financial recompense to the player, but the club also benefits, financially if it was a good paying long term contract ended early and also by freeing up resources to bring in a player better suited to the team, which by definition improves the team and makes us better. 

Even if the club is hit financially we have moved on a player who does not want to be at the club to hopefully be replaced by someone who does so again that potentially improves the squad and makes us better.

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Why is it folly? If a player is unfavoured by the manager for any reason and not getting game time, does not like the clubs methods, family can't settle in the area or just told by the manager your not in my plans, feel free to find another club etc etc then he might actively seek a transfer elsewhere. Now if they can be sold fair enough, but if not and the player really wants a move the contract can be terminated "by mutual agreement" I think is the phrase used.

Yes this will probably result in some form of financial recompense to the player, but the club also benefits, financially if it was a good paying long term contract ended early and also by freeing up resources to bring in a player better suited to the team, which by definition improves the team and makes us better. 

Even if the club is hit financially we have moved on a player who does not want to be at the club to hopefully be replaced by someone who does so again that potentially improves the squad and makes us better.

Well aware circumstances like such arise. Nobody disputing that here.

It’s the correlation by some that a good paying long term contract ended early freeing up resources that’s folly, especially at our club. Simple arithmetic suggests we require additional funds to replace with someone better suited. I recall that’s been pointed out previously to club shareholders. 

By your own admission… Even if the club is hit financially - so we’re stronger?

24 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Just posted on twitter don’t know if anything in it, think he needs to bring about another four of his buddies.

He looks comfortable in Claret and Amber anyway.

13 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

He looks comfortable in Claret and Amber anyway.

Six weeks training with us will knock that out of him .

If we were sitting mid table in no danger I think I’d feel positively about taking a punt on a young Japanese lad from their second tier league.

however, a relegation battle might not suit a 5ft 8in slight looking midfielder.

does wullie falconer still play? We could do with him.

Falconer was a great signing, from back in the days we're you'd find out about a new signing when they walked into the park!

We can't completely abandon our long term strategy either, so if we've done our due diligence and think this guy will make us better, fair enough. Don't know how his height makes a difference.

6 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Falconer was a great signing, from back in the days we're you'd find out about a new signing when they walked into the park!

I remember phoning club call back in the 90s and they announced the new signing Michel Doesburg, felt great being in the know when friends seen it confirmed in the tabloids the next day. Can't imagine how it used to be in nineteen canteen.

I know I'm going off topic here a tad, Willie Falconer rescued us when he signed, but the day he signed he lined up against Killie and missed a pen as we got beat. One thing that truly annoyed me was that I'm sure he was denied playing in a Scottish Cup tie against Aberdeen as he had to be registered two weeks before the match or such, SKY choose our game for TV and the tie was moved to a Monday which meant he should have been available for selection but the pedantic SFA said they are sticking by the original date the game was going to be played.

Anyway it's good to see a rumour on the transfer front filter through.

Falconer was a superb signing and he almost single handedly saved us from relegation that year. 

We actually paid a transfer fee to Celtic to get him, changed times. 

In his debut he missed a penalty against Kilmarnock and we looked doomed then as we were in a run of about 7 straight games without scoring. But he came good.

If the guy has ability, I don't care how tall he is. What I would say is that he is relatively inexperienced. I'm hoping that we are also able to bring in some experience and leadership in some of the business we do this month. I'm aware this is easier said than done but the likes of Tom Aldred was signed in January, there will be players out there available simply because they're surplus to requirements at their club but that could do a job for us...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just a tabloid rumour at the moment. If there's any truth in it, what position does this Japanese lad play? 

According to Google he's an attacking midfielder , currently with Brisbane roar in the Australian A league, 26 appearances so far, 9 goals.

• David locked this topic