2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

13 minutes ago, MJC said:

Oliver, Olly, Ollie. Fair enough lol.

I know nothing about him but hopefully he can make a difference.

Oily crankshaft ?

edit: 

you’d think that by 67 I would have matured a bit. Apparently not!!

Edited by texanwellfan

28 minutes ago, MJC said:

We’ve signed Olly Crankshaw on loan from Stockport according to Twitter. He’s a winger.

For some reason I find his name quite amusing, though hopefully he can make a serious contribution for us.

Welcome to Fir Park.

Maybe he will be outstanding for us, sign for sellik then the chants will be Ollie W**kshaw.....yer a cranker yer a cranker!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I will of course give him a chance but signing a player on loan from a conference side doesn't inspire me....brings back memories of Tony Straker on loan from York. 

Stockport County are mid table in League 2.

I have a mate who watches them a bit and says he was pivotal in their promotion from the conference last year. He is surprised they were willing to let him go out on loan.

Not saying that means he will be any good. But I certainly wouldnt right him off at this stage.

34 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I will of course give him a chance but signing a player on loan from a conference side doesn't inspire me....brings back memories of Tony Straker on loan from York. 

Hopefully we can sign a player called Stan and announce Stan and Ollie as our new acquisitions!!   Mmmmm mmmm

York were looking to sign two Stockport forwards on loan before the manager was sacked, I’m pretty sure he would be one of the two given his experience at nation league level. Pretty much in line with the level of player we’ve brought in over the last few years. Likes to take a player on but more an impact sub for them.

12 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I have a mate who watches them a bit and says he was pivotal in their promotion from the conference last year. He is surprised they were willing to let him go out on loan.

Not saying that means he will be any good. But I certainly wouldnt right him off at this stage.

Whoops sorry pal, thought they were still non league 

3 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I think I'm still paying off my phone bill from using club call.

That comment deserved more likes.

From the official website it seems that Stockport changed tactics and stopped using a winger, so he's looking for more game time elsewhere.

Hope he's up to the challenge as we need options out wide.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The general consensus on the Stockport fan forums seem to be that they're sorry to see him go and that he is a bit of a baller.

Time will tell I suppose.

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I get a note that says "you have used all your notifications for today".   Maybe it's just me......and probably understandable! Lol

No  I get them too.

Not sure why. Probably to stop folk going on a "thumb frenzy" 😄

I know there will be those who will have a go at me for this post but I couldn’t care.

If Stevie Hammell seriously thinks our situation will be improved by players like this, even on loan, then I’m afraid we will be playing in the Championship next season!

Two wingers. Really! We’ve already got one on loan - James McKinstry.

No disrespect to these two guys, but one by his own admission can’t get a start in a team that plays in what is really the old English 3rd division and the other is a 21-year old rookie with only 7 games under his belt.

Utterly bewildering!!

20 minutes ago, El Grew said:

I know there will be those who will have a go at me for this post but I couldn’t care.

If Stevie Hammell seriously thinks our situation will be improved by players like this, even on loan, then I’m afraid we will be playing in the Championship next season!

No disrespect to these two guys, but one by his own admission can’t get a start in a team that plays in what is really the old English 3rd division and the other is a 21-year old rookie with only 7 games under his belt.

Utterly bewildering!!

I can see where you are coming from, but the lower leagues in England is our market, and if there were better more experienced players available with lots of game time, playing every week etc, 1.we could not afford them and 2. it won't be in the January window in the middle of a season.

This window is about taking a punt on players and hope they can improve the team, we signed the likes of Moult and Bowman with limited game time from league 2 teams and that worked out OK, not every punt pays off as we found out this season but it's about all we can do.

The real work is done during the summer,  as for the Japanese boy, all great players have to start somewhere was he not recommended to SH by Postecoglu at Celtic if the rumours are to be believed, so again another punt.

Sometimes the expectations of the fans are very different from the reality the club operates in respect of finances, player availability and most importantly do they want to come to Fir Park.

So given the circumstances I'm not sure what else SH and the board can do differently from what's happening now, he probably deserves a bit of slack and we can judge the signings in May to see what impact they've had, hopefully a big relegation saving one.

• Like 3

Any signing we bring in in January is going to be someone struggling for game time, unless they're coming from a summer league. 

Henrik Ojamaa is probably the most impactful January signing we've had in an attacking sense - hit the ground running on his debut and kept riding that momentum all the way til the end of the season. 

Another like him would be ideal.

46 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Utterly bewildering!!

Actually the old English fourth division.

• Haha 1

It would be nice to see one or two players coming on loan from the championship down south, yes it is possible if they are fringe players and it’s happening at other clubs. Maybe there is a reluctance from some to travel up to Scotland.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Utterly bewildering!!

Its really not bewildering at all.

The most recent Skysports deal down south has scewed the entire wage structure of football within the UK to the extent that some Conference clubs can pay more wages than most SPL clubs.

Thats where we are at, and there is nothing Stevie Hammell or any of the other SPL managers can do about it.

Short of taking punts on young players with ability that can improve or taking punts on players form overseas leagues theres not much more he can do.

Its all the more reason a club like ours needs to bring through its own talent from our academy. Unfortunately COVID meant 2 years without boys football so there is a huge gap in our system there that will take time to address.

Our job is to compete with the other clubs in the same position as ourselves, so we are talking Ross County, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Livingston. 

If our new players can help us take points off of these clubs we will survive. If they cant, we wont.

Simples.

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Utterly bewildering!!

Genuine question but what do you think we should be doing? And from what leagues and teams do you think we should be looking to sign from?

9 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Genuine question but what do you think we should be doing? And from what leagues and teams do you think we should be looking to sign from?

Can I use an example and mention York city yet again, playing at National league level. Shaqai Forde has just come in on a season long loan from Watford, four goals in one and a half games, will probably end up playing in the Premiership. Olli Tanner a winger from Cardiff, came on for them against Leeds last week again on a season long loan, turned down a move to Spurs, young and highly rated. York’s average attendance is around 5k this season, why can’t Motherwell look to players like this ?

• Like 3

• David locked this topic