2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

3 hours ago, pretzel said:

I had mentioned in another thread that I was worried about Mandron's injury being a bad one, I wonder if the sudden rumour that we're in for Watt suggests this is the case, a few more reliable sources are running with the story now about us trying to pip St Mirren. However I can't see Watt walking away from his deal with 2 and a half years left.

What's the gen on mandron injury?

Scott burns saying we are working on 1 or 2 but need to get players out. Exactly what I thought and posted the other day

given our injuries, given our lack of depth. That’s a sad indictment of where we are financially if we are having to move 2 on to bring 1 or 2 in .

fucking brutal hand Hammell has been dealt with in my opinion 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

fucking brutal hand Hammell has been dealt with in my opinion 

Yep. The Board let Alexander live out his fantasy and now Hammell has been thrown into a dogfight to try to save us but is armed with a majority of overpaid and underperforming shitebags.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Yep. The Board let Alexander live out his fantasy and now Hammell has been thrown into a dogfight to try to save us but is armed with a majority of overpaid and underperforming shitebags.

The Board failed to back Alexander over the summer. That's part of the problem. He wasn't given a free rein to sign players. They failed to back him or sack him.

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The Board failed to back Alexander over the summer. That's part of the problem. He wasn't given a free rein to sign players. They failed to back him or sack him.

My point is more to do with the over-generous extension he was given midway through a season in January 2022 when it was clear for all to see by around November 2021 that he was clueless and that it was Watt who was dragging us across the line for the most part. 

31 minutes ago, wellfan said:

My point is more to do with the over-generous extension he was given midway through a season in January 2022 when it was clear for all to see by around November 2021 that he was clueless and that it was Watt who was dragging us across the line for the most part. 

some of the decisions on players in the last 2/3 years has been apalling how We let O'Hara to St Mirren god knows I would have kept O'Connor but clearly manager never fancied him should have let Mcginleys contract run out aswell and Lamies purple patch fooled us.

58 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I'm not sure why you're still banging on about this "Alexander living out his fantasy" guff. That was addressed a while back.

5 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

In what way????, he led the Rats away and Tony has been a Rat at aboot 15 clubs, no loyalty to anyone, why would Dundee United want rid, unless he's fallen out with another manager. More clubs than Rory Mcilroy. 

Here's a question for you, why should Tony Watt or any other player show loyalty to any club? All you need to do is read back through this thread to see how fans act when a player isn't performing. We show them zero loyalty, so I don't know why we should expect it in return.

If you actually look at it, we got him for nothing, he provided a decent level of performance and goal return while he was here, signed not one but two contract extensions, then when he left we got money for him. 

In short, he owed us absolutely nothing. He was paid to do a job, which is what he did. He then moved on when another employer offered him considerably more to do the same job.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David said:

I'm not sure why you're still banging on about this "Alexander living out his fantasy" guff. That was addressed a while back.

Here's a question for you, why should Tony Watt or any other player show loyalty to any club? All you need to do is read back through this thread to see how fans act when a player isn't performing. We show them zero loyalty, so I don't know why we should expect it in return.

If you actually look at it, we got him for nothing, he provided a decent level of performance and goal return while he was here, signed not one but two contract extensions, then when he left we got money for him. 

In short, he owed us absolutely nothing. He was paid to do a job, which is what he did. He then moved on when another employer offered him considerably more to do the same job.

Agree in a sense but we are the ones who pay the wages. 

Also striker from Fleetwood who I got told about seems to have come out in the press as Gerald garner.

1 minute ago, David said:

He wanted to stay with us and would have signed for less than dundee utd ended up paying him but Alexander didn’t want him and said he could leave 

two sides to every story 

8 minutes ago, David said:

Because Alexander lived in a fantasy land of his own stubborn hubris, which ultimately cost him his job. 

37 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

In what way????, he led the Rats away and Tony has been a Rat at aboot 15 clubs, no loyalty to anyone, why would Dundee United want rid, unless he's fallen out with another manager. More clubs than Rory Mcilroy. 

So you're suggesting that Tony Watt will lead all of our players out of the club? As bizarre as your example seems, that only reinforces my point that he has leadership skills. Or is it that he's a rat? But then who led him to Dundee United? He went on his own.

Just playing devils advocate to all the big fat NO’s to come …. Are the people who are saying no saying no for football reasons?

Tony Watt is most certainly a divisive character and not the sort of fella I’d want to go for a pint with. However, if his presence makes the difference between staying up and going down (and he has the ability to make that difference) then surely it has to be a bit fat YES regardless of how much of a baw bag he is?

I didn't like the way he left the club but at same time if he was being offered 4 to 5k a week then hard to turn it down.

If..and it's a big if that he signed then I guarantee if he started contributing and chipping in with goals then fans would quickly forget.

But at same time, no way will utd give a fellow relegation rival one of their players

I was disappointed when watt left and we definitely missed him,I've got no real problem with leaving for more money,we would all do the same.i don't see us signing him though. everything seems to be going against us at the minute if we're now having to use more of the budget on another striker cause mandron is injured already.

In his last 6 months with us, Watt played 24 games, scored 10 goals, and had 2 assists. He singlehandedly held that Alexander team together, dragging them all up the park with his hold-up play, and then our form got worse when he left. I'd take him back for the rest of the season.  

• Like 1

• David locked this topic