2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Heard today Hibs are in discussion with Mikey Devlin, ex Aberdeen and Accies. Given he is from Motherwell I wonder if that is who were talking to and Hibs interest has stalled things. Been out for a while so that fits our Rehab profile. 

Just pure speculation but takes my mind off last night's pathetic showing.

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

Heard today Hibs are in discussion with Mikey Devlin, ex Aberdeen and Accies. Given he is from Motherwell I wonder if that is who were talking to and Hibs interest has stalled things. Been out for a while so that fits our Rehab profile. 

Just pure speculation but takes my mind off last night's pathetic showing.

a would sign his dad Alex  first    great player n heez 60 now  bit injury pron for his age but would fit our physio table well

16 minutes ago, smiddy said:

a played wi him all through boys club levels, lovely cultured player with a bit of dig    probably what we need the now a quiet assasin

I spoke to SOD about Mikey Devlin, when Alexander was in charge, he said he put a word in then, as they are mates but no joy, I’d take a punt on him for 6 months, decent at Accies, worth a gamble.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Two days and another home defeat further on are you still of the same opinion David?

Sadly, yes. 

Unless there's an outstanding candidate out there who for some reason isn't working, and would be affordable, I don't see the point in binning Hammell. With our current financial situation I could see someone like Kettlewell being given the job, and I don't see the point in replacing one manager who has had less than six months in the job and a sub-30% win rate with a manager who had less than six months in the Ross County job before being bumped when they were four points adrift and had a sub-30% win rate.

I've seen so many ludicrous suggestions over the past few days from fans, ranging from bringing in an 82 year old Craig Brown or Craig Levein, to basically telling Hammell that he's shit at his job by forcing him to accept a new number two who's more experienced. 

It's an absolute shitshow, but we are where we are because of the decisions made, and we need to live with them now. I've constantly said that binning any manager literally days before the new league campaign kicked off was absolute madness, but that's what we did. 

The only thing that would match that would be bringing in his replacement, letting him approve seven January signings, then sacking him right after that. 

What we need to do now is stick with the plan. Hammell has been backed in the window. His new signings will need time to get up to speed, which may be time we don't have, but that's just how it is. We now live or die by the decision to appoint him.

What I'd also say is that there is virtually no time in football history where appointing three different managers in one season has seen success follow. That usually brings issues of its own, and at that point you're sliding from a club having a bad season to a club that is moving into basket case territory. That kind of volatility in the board room can have a knock-on effect on which players and managers we can attract in future. We already saw one player come in on the basis that Alexander was his manager and his career basically grind to a halt. Do we want another manager to come in who possibly doesn't fancy some of the new signings we've made and a similar thing to happen? 

Nah, we need to stay the course now. We've appointed Hammell, we've made moves in the window. Now we need to let it play out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, David said:

Sadly, yes. 

Unless there's an outstanding candidate out there who for some reason isn't working, and would be affordable, I don't see the point in binning Hammell. With our current financial situation I could see someone like Kettlewell being given the job, and I don't see the point in replacing one manager who has had less than six months in the job and a sub-30% win rate with a manager who had less than six months in the Ross County job before being bumped when they were four points adrift and had a sub-30% win rate.

I've seen so many ludicrous suggestions over the past few days from fans, ranging from bringing in an 82 year old Craig Brown or Craig Levein, to basically telling Hammell that he's shit at his job by forcing him to accept a new number two who's more experienced. 

It's an absolute shitshow, but we are where we are because of the decisions made, and we need to live with them now. I've constantly said that binning any manager literally days before the new league campaign kicked off was absolute madness, but that's what we did. 

The only thing that would match that would be bringing in his replacement, letting him approve seven January signings, then sacking him right after that. 

What we need to do now is stick with the plan. Hammell has been backed in the window. His new signings will need time to get up to speed, which may be time we don't have, but that's just how it is. We now live or die by the decision to appoint him.

What I'd also say is that there is virtually no time in football history where appointing three different managers in one season has seen success follow. That usually brings issues of its own, and at that point you're sliding from a club having a bad season to a club that is moving into basket case territory. That kind of volatility in the board room can have a knock-on effect on which players and managers we can attract in future. We already saw one player come in on the basis that Alexander was his manager and his career basically grind to a halt. Do we want another manager to come in who possibly doesn't fancy some of the new signings we've made and a similar thing to happen? 

Nah, we need to stay the course now. We've appointed Hammell, we've made moves in the window. Now we need to let it play out.

I agree with most of that.

But we need to see improvement from both Hammy and the team. 

If he gets his new players on the field and they are given time to bed in and there is no improvement, or even worse they do an Aberdeen and down tools and throw him under the bus, then unfortunately the board cant just stand by and watch the inevitible happen without trying everything in their power to avoid relegation. 

Lets hope that it doesnt come to that though, because I do agree changing manager again is likely to have a poor chance of success.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I agree with most of that.

But we need to see improvement from both Hammy and the team. 

If he gets his new players on the field and they are given time to bed in and there is no improvement, or even worse they do an Aberdeen and down tools and throw him under the bus, then unfortunately the board cant just stand by and watch the inevitible happen without trying everything in their power to avoid relegation. 

Lets hope that it doesnt come to that though, because I do agree changing manager again is likely to have a poor chance of success.

Agreed. One thing I have taken solace in thus far is that we've never really looked like an absolute shambles the way Aberdeen have. They look like a lost cause, losing by 5 and 6 goals at a time, being smacked around by Darvel etc. We've been losing games by the odd goal most times, and until the St Johnstone game I've never really seen us in a game this season with the exception of the old firm where I've thought we looked well beaten.

But, as you say, if we go to Aberdeen and repeat the St Johnstone performance it could be trouble. I'm fairly sure though that if Hammell goes we're as good as down. 

30 minutes ago, David said:

Sadly, yes. 

I don't want Hammell to be binned, but I can see that he would probably need to be binned if we lose to Aberdeen and Raith, and that's a very real possibility. If that played out, we would clearly be going down, and would you want/trust Hammell to bring us back up at that stage of perpetual failure? Perhaps a future question. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

Agreed. One thing I have taken solace in thus far is that we've never really looked like an absolute shambles the way Aberdeen have. They look like a lost cause, losing by 5 and 6 goals at a time, being smacked around by Darvel etc. We've been losing games by the odd goal most times, and until the St Johnstone game I've never really seen us in a game this season with the exception of the old firm where I've thought we looked well beaten.

But, as you say, if we go to Aberdeen and repeat the St Johnstone performance it could be trouble. I'm fairly sure though that if Hammell goes we're as good as down. 

Sounds like the last chance saloon. If - after hitting the bottom and putting in our worst display of the season as a reaction - we were to lose to an absolute shambles who just performed their manager out the door, any further delay would be ludicrous. This is it - win, or at worst draw with a battling performance, or it has to be over.

• David locked this topic