2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I don't want Hammell to be binned, but I can see that he would probably need to be binned if we lose to Aberdeen and Raith, and that's a very real possibility. If that played out, we would clearly be going down, and would you want/trust Hammell to bring us back up at that stage of perpetual failure? Perhaps a future question. 

One thing I would say is that anyone we brought in to replace Hammell at this stage probably wouldn't be the man to bring us back up either, which then means we'd be looking at potentially four managers in two seasons, which isn't a great look.

As mentioned, it's one thing being a team that's not good enough and gets relegated, but it's entirely another thing being a team that's not good enough and that's burning through managers at a rate of knots. That kind of instability will have a knock-on effect elsewhere, including recruitment.

If you're the manager at a club like Brighton or Leeds, are you sending players like McKinstry or Furlong up to a club where the manager who brings them in and agrees to give them minutes might not be the guy in charge within a few weeks or months? That stability as a club has always worked in our favour. 

Would an Ollie Crankshaw or Riku Danzaki still be as keen to come here if they thought the manager who convinced them to come and who said they were in his plans might get binned and replaced with someone who doesn't fancy them within a matter of weeks? Football is unpredictable at the best of times, but if we start looking like a club who parts ways with managers days before the season starts, and who sacks managers literally days or weeks after they sign seven players in a transfer window it could cause us issues down the road.

46 minutes ago, David said:

One thing I would say is that anyone we brought in to replace Hammell at this stage probably wouldn't be the man to bring us back up either, which then means we'd be looking at potentially four managers in two seasons, which isn't a great look.

As mentioned, it's one thing being a team that's not good enough and gets relegated, but it's entirely another thing being a team that's not good enough and that's burning through managers at a rate of knots. That kind of instability will have a knock-on effect elsewhere, including recruitment.

If you're the manager at a club like Brighton or Leeds, are you sending players like McKinstry or Furlong up to a club where the manager who brings them in and agrees to give them minutes might not be the guy in charge within a few weeks or months? That stability as a club has always worked in our favour. 

Would an Ollie Crankshaw or Riku Danzaki still be as keen to come here if they thought the manager who convinced them to come and who said they were in his plans might get binned and replaced with someone who doesn't fancy them within a matter of weeks? Football is unpredictable at the best of times, but if we start looking like a club who parts ways with managers days before the season starts, and who sacks managers literally days or weeks after they sign seven players in a transfer window it could cause us issues down the road.

I still think holding on to Hammel and allowing him to sign seven players was a mistake, he should have gone after the Hibs game.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, David said:

All the more reason for him to play the new players and get them to dig him out the hole he amd we are in......

30 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I still think holding on to Hammel and allowing him to sign seven players was a mistake, he should have gone after the Hibs game.

Much like sticking with Alexander to when we did was a mistake. I said we should have either parted ways in the summer, or stuck with him until around December to see how we would do.

We're now on the verge of making the same mistake with Hammell. We either should have changed direction before the January window, or stick with him the rest of the season. Allowing him to bring in seven players to suit how he wants to play then binning him will be a disaster.

29 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

All the more reason for him to play the new players and get them to dig him out the hole he amd we are in......

There's no other option.

1 hour ago, David said:

That's a really good point, so for all sorts of reasons , a big performance is required tomorrow 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David said:

Agreed. One thing I have taken solace in thus far is that we've never really looked like an absolute shambles the way Aberdeen have. They look like a lost cause, losing by 5 and 6 goals at a time, being smacked around by Darvel etc. We've been losing games by the odd goal most times, and until the St Johnstone game I've never really seen us in a game this season with the exception of the old firm where I've thought we looked well beaten.

But, as you say, if we go to Aberdeen and repeat the St Johnstone performance it could be trouble. I'm fairly sure though that if Hammell goes we're as good as down. 

I can't agree mate I think we've looked a shambles all season.

24 minutes ago, Kat said:

New signing joins. Callum Butcher. 

Exactly what we’ve been crying out for! Defensive midfielder who breaks the play up and isn’t afraid of a hard tackle or two. Pity he can’t play today but thats certainly cheered me up 🙂

And with those last 2 signings, I’m a little less pissed off. Hammy has now addressed every area of major weakness. Now he needs to implement changes by dropping all the useless charlatans and playing a better system with the new guys. 

• Like 1

Calum Butcher’s goals and disciplinary record.

Year apps.gif goal.gif yellow.gif red.gif
2021-22 20 0 9 1
2020-21 35 1 13 0
2019-20 27 3 9 0
2018-19 15 1 4 1
2014-15 20 1 7 0
2013-14 8 (1) 0 2 1
Total: 125 (9) 6    

He averaged 8 Yellow Cards per season.  In the SPL this would be about 1 every 5 games.

• David locked this topic