Kilmarnock v Motherwell 27/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Really??  So what’s keeping the rest of the squads’ head above water then!

Im meaning on a personal level for him. Theres no doubt we'd be fucked without his goals. That said Id have scored 3 of his goals, much of his play is poor, too greedy and dispossessed too easily because he will not play other in. Would I still play him ? of course because no one else is scoring but the fact he has scored goals does not excuse his over all contribution from being looked at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are completely hamstrung by the mess left by Alexander. It’ll take 2-3 windows to get past his legacy of shit.

Our attacking options rely solely on KVV, so we need to sign a first team striker to start playing with him immediately. Otherwise, we will remain blunt and toothless. My assessment:

Morris is woeful. Send him packing back to Alexander.

Efford is complete mince. Get rid.  

Shields is into year 2 of his 3-year deal, and is evidently not good enough for this level. 

Tierney needs game time, but isn’t good enough to start or affect games yet. Send him out on loan until January.

Mahon is a boy, not a first team player.

We also need a commanding centre back and a controlling midfielder.

Did I mention that I hate Alexander? An arrogant imposter of a manager.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say right now we're 3 maybe 4 players short of a decent first team and several short in the 12-18 category. We need another striker, possibly winger, and 2 central defenders as first picks. an experienced midfielder would not go amiss either. That of course would necessitate some leaving. 

The likes of Efford, Shields, Morris, Maguire, and Ojala, are simply not up to it for various reasons.  

Whilst we're undoubtedly light up front and require reinforcements there, its our central defence thats causing me most worry. Whilst Lamie, Mugabi and Johansen may be ok as back ups we really do need two first pick defenders there, one of whom should be a leader.  

Yesterday, like the St Johnstone game before only served to highlight our weaknesses.

Stevie Hammell made some errors yesterday and thats only to be expected of a rookie manager - it comes with the territory, but lets hope he learns from them and doesn't repeat. 

After 1st 25 mins which we just shaded killie were good value at least a point. 

However we had good chances with 3 breakaways that should have scored at least 1 goal at important stages of game.  

I felt their midfied totally bossed ours and they had power.polworth and mcinroy who are not exactly world-beaters.  Maybe with better wide players to pass to they will get better but the aberdeen performance might have been a one off. Hope not.

Good crowd and atmosphere yesterday 1st half and we again missed a trick to build on that but was pleasing at end no negativity. 

Win on Wednesday night and we go into next week v dun utd again with our tails up. 

Some new signings will also provide a lift for fans and team mates alike

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

We are completely hamstrung by the mess left by Alexander. It’ll take 2-3 windows to get past his legacy of shit.

You've forgotten what he took over and what he achieved with that.

I said all along that Alexander's team might not be the best to watch but he squeezed pretty much the maximum you could achieve out of a poor set of players.

Now we are just left with the players.

By the way, Motherwell's standard of signing has been in decline for a long time probably going back to the Brown/McCall era after which big changes had to be made with the enormous financial losses we incured. 

Fan owner ship has rarely if ever produced top teams.  There is a new reality that Motherwell supporters need to get used to but evidently they just want to scapegoat.

And when you scapegoat you don't address the actual problem because, you know, it's all HIS fault.

• Haha 1

Your assessment of the players you mentioned is spot on, too many are simply not good enough.

Alexander definitely left us in a mess but this is not simply down to him. This goes back to Robinson’s tenure and some of the guff we brought in during that time and the money we spunked in doing so. Between him and Alexander it doesn’t bear thinking about how much we squandered on absolute dross. 

Alan Burrows and the board need to take responsibility for the mess we are in. They allowed those two to deal so poorly in the transfer market and allowed Alexander to go into this season with this current squad only to be humiliated against Sligo and we found ourselves managerless on the eve of the league season. Result of that is we appointment a rookie manager to work with a terrible squad of players. As I said, if this ends badly this season then it’s on those in the boardroom.

1 minute ago, MJC_mkII said:

Your assessment of the players you mentioned is spot on, too many are simply not good enough.

Alexander definitely left us in a mess but this is not simply down to him. This goes back to Robinson’s tenure and some of the guff we brought in during his tenure and the money we spunked in doing so. Between him and Alexander it doesn’t bear thinking about how much we squandered on absolute dross. 

Alan Burrows and the board need to take responsibility for the mess we are in. They allowed those two to deal so poorly in the transfer market and allowed Alexander to go into this season with this current squad only to be humiliated against Sligo and we found ourselves managerless on the eve of the league season. Result of that is we appointment a rookie manager to work with a terrible squad of players. As I said, if this ends badly this season then it’s on those in the boardroom.

Or it's on the fans for forcing Alexander out after two results of the season having, just a few weeks ago given him a standing ovation.

As for our transfer market performance, it's been so poor for so long maybe you just have to say that's the level we are at these days.  Other teams might have performed a bit better here and there but I don't see a great slew of higher standard players coming into the league in general and on the other side of that you might say we've produced better youth players than most other teams.

• Haha 1

Our attacking options rely solely on KVV, so we need to sign a first team striker to start playing with him immediately. Otherwise, we will remain blunt and toothless. My assessment:

Morris is woeful. Send him packing back to Alexander.

Efford is complete mince. Get rid.  

Shields is into year 2 of his 3-year deal, and is evidently not good enough for this level. 

Tierney needs game time, but isn’t good enough to start or affect games yet. Send him out on loan until January.

Mahon is a boy, not a first team player.

We also need a commanding centre back and a controlling midfielder.

too easy to blame ga , pleased when he went, the 2 goals were basic defending so if guys cant do the basics shouldnt be playing at this level, so nowt to do with ga

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Or it's on the fans for forcing Alexander out after two results of the season having, just a few weeks ago given him a standing ovation.

Graham Alexander could break into your house and you would blame the folk that fitted the locks, or the Motherwell support for it. He clearly could do no wrong in your eyes so no point arguing about it.

What I would say is that it is nonsense to suggest that the fans forced him out. He came to a mutual agreement with the club to leave after overseeing two of the worst results in the clubs history. There were no protests outside the Main Stand or chucking season tickets on the park, just some of the fans who forked out to travel to Sligo giving him deserved criticism for that debacle. The next day he met with the board and off he went.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Graham Alexander could break into your house and you would blame the folk that fitted the locks, or the Motherwell support for it. He clearly could do no wrong in your eyes so no point arguing about it.

What I would say is that it is nonsense to suggest that the fans forced him out. He came to a mutual agreement with the club to leave after overseeing two of the worst results in the clubs history. There were no protests outside the Main Stand or chucking season tickets on the park, just some of the fans who forked out to travel to Sligo giving him deserved criticism for that debacle. The next day he met with the board and off he went.

Correct. 

3 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

too easy to blame ga , pleased when he went, the 2 goals were basic defending so if guys cant do the basics shouldnt be playing at this level, so nowt to do with ga

Absolutely. No point in ruminating over old fat and getting bogged down in blame games. Lets concentrate on the here & now and on the future.  We need to ship some players out and acquire new signings. Yesterday and the St Johnstone game are evidence of that.  The coming week will be big for us. 

FWIW, I think the directors were already thinking of parting company with GA after the Sligo game and the fans' unrest simply added fuel to an already burning fire.

Blows my mind the hate GA gets when he saved us and got us into Europe then left  lol this hate is actually pretty weird but it's the same folk that would roll out the red carpet for Robbo and give him a standing ovation for leaving us in a much bigger mess than what we are in the now it's not even a mess really a few fresh faces we be grand. 

On the terms of this squad it's no worse or better than 3/4 of the rest of the teams in the league it's lacking confidence that will come clearly we are capable it's been proved last few games we have a win in us but still think Hammell is tinkering with the formation see what's what I do think 4-3-3 with this current frontline won't work as that's where we are weakest.

Shields issue is this he should be playing through the middle not on the LW or RW a two with KVV would be better.When Shields was at QOTS played 16 games CF I think 9 goals and 3 assists he is being wasted and his stats with us prove it.

I don’t think there is widespread ‘hate’ for Alexander in the support. Obviously some do hate him as we’ve seen in this thread, but I think overall it was more that the support were scunnered with the way we were playing, that we won three league matches in five months and there was no obvious plan from Alexander going forward. No one knew, indeed, he himself didn’t seem to know what his team would be from one week to the next. That was incredibly frustrating especially when we weren’t winning games and then to rub salt in the wounds Alexander would often come out post match and say that we played well.

• Like 1

Don’t really get to see us that much these days but got there yesterday, don’t think we’re a million miles away from being a decent side 

1st 30 minutes thought we were class & when we knocked the ball about some of the football was superb

As others have said the subs were needed, the killie goal was coming at that point but the subs never worked at all

We won’t win the league….we won’t get relegated so it’s good to see an entertaining game, couple of signings in the right positions & we’ll be good 

great atmosphere from the well fans as well yesterday 

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Blows my mind the hate GA gets when he saved us and got us into Europe then left  lol this hate is actually pretty weird but it's the same folk that would roll out the red carpet for Robbo and give him a standing ovation for leaving us in a much bigger mess than what we are in the now it's not even a mess really a few fresh faces we be grand. 

On the terms of this squad it's no worse or better than 3/4 of the rest of the teams in the league it's lacking confidence that will come clearly we are capable it's been proved last few games we have a win in us but still think Hammell is tinkering with the formation see what's what I do think 4-3-3 with this current frontline won't work as that's where we are weakest.

Shields issue is this he should be playing through the middle not on the LW or RW a two with KVV would be better.When Shields was at QOTS played 16 games CF I think 9 goals and 3 assists he is being wasted and his stats with us prove it.

i wasnt  unhappy to see ga  going but no harm to him either, he just wasnt very inspirational......robbo , i liked and he seems to be showing at st mirren what hes ca[able of

on another point remember when some folks wanted jack ross at fir park, sometimes its just your time at certain clubs