Ross County v Motherwell now Tuesday 04/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

22 hours ago, ropy said:

Given the time and distance of the match most of those attending were retired fellows, the likelihood of it kicking off was low, although there were grumbles about a steward standing in the line of sight.

As one of those retired fellows who made the trip up to Dingwall for a midweek game last season, I personally saw a large group of non retired fellows spend most of the match abusing stewards, spilling onto the trackside and threatening any Motherwell fan who questioned them. If that behaviour contributed to the decision to place the fans where they did this week then why are we surprised?  In truth St Mirren and Kilmarnock would be well within their rights to adopt the same approach following incidents this season, including flare damage to the pitch. Might help if Motherwell themselves publicly condemned some of the goings on rather than just paying for any damage and appearing to turn a blind eye.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dennyc said:

As one of those retired fellows who made the trip up to Dingwall for a midweek game last season, I personally saw a large group of non retired fellows spend most of the match abusing stewards, spilling onto the trackside and threatening any Motherwell fan who questioned them. If that behaviour contributed to the decision to place the fans where they did this week then why are we surprised?  In truth St Mirren and Kilmarnock would be well within their rights to adopt the same approach following incidents this season, including flare damage to the pitch. Might help if Motherwell themselves publicly condemned some of the goings on rather than just paying for any damage and appearing to turn a blind eye.

Why do you say appearing to turn a blind eye? What's your agenda here?

8 minutes ago, dennyc said:

2 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

No Agenda whatsoever. Have you heard the Club speaking out about the behaviour of some fans at away games? If so i stand corrected.

Do you think that behaviour is acceptable or reflects well on Motherwell? I'm commenting on incidents I have witnessed personally, including a female fan at Ross County being threatened with violence. Or is that just high jinx and therefore ok?

3 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Can the sanctimonious posts be added to a thread of their own on fan behaviours and leave discussion to team matters on a match thread?

Arriving when they did meant they were located to the front of the stand which became problematic (especially for our disabled supporters sat at ground level) with your claims inextricably linked although not my recollection of events. Not condoning abusing stewards, spilling on the track was no more than high jinks - a day on the ale and or beak isn’t uncommon in football circles so they’ll resent being told by the holier than thou how they should behave when supporting their team so answer in kind. A lot of that, to their credit is self policed and whilst they may be uncomfortable bedfellows both club and non retired fellows work together. You wouldn’t have to dig to far to get that info.

Paying for damage and turning a blind eye is an untruth.

9 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Can the sanctimonious posts be added to a thread of their own on fan behaviours and leave discussion to team matters on a match thread?

Arriving when they did meant they were located to the front of the stand which became problematic (especially for our disabled supporters sat at ground level) with your claims inextricably linked although not my recollection of events. Not condoning abusing stewards, spilling on the track was no more than high jinks - a day on the ale and or beak isn’t uncommon in football circles so they’ll resent being told by the holier than thou how they should behave when supporting their team so answer in kind. A lot of that, to their credit is self policed and whilst they may be uncomfortable bedfellows both club and non retired fellows work together. You wouldn’t have to dig to far to get that info.

Ah, I understand now. Better nobody comment on the shameful behaviour of a minority of fans at away matches. Self policed or not. Poor wee souls are only having a good day out. Fair enough. I guess the same applies to those Celtic fans who delight in defacing Fir Park.

The hands off approach you appear to support might just be part of the problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dennyc said:

Ah, I understand now. Better nobody comment on the shameful behaviour of a minority of fans at away matches. Self policed or not. Poor wee souls are only having a good day out. Fair enough. I guess the same applies to those Celtic fans who delight in defacing Fir Park.

The hands off approach you appear to support might just be part of the problem.

Poor analogy. Shameful? It’s hardly crimes of the century.

Hands off approach? Not at all. Like I said, both parties work together on a range of the issues you spoke of.

See you’ve still not quantified your spurious claim.

9 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

This was my point and was hoping for evidence to support the wild claims.

Did Celtic pay for the seat damage at Fir Park? I understand they did and that it was common practice for Clubs to pay for ground damage caused by their fans. Certainly plenty of talk about damage caused by fans hurting their own Club financially. But No, I don't have a copy of any receipts.

Well done on deflecting from the behaviour of the fans though.

2 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Hands off approach? Not at all. Like I said, both parties work together on a range of the issues you spoke of.

I don't doubt you for a second on this point, but it's also understandable if us old duffers - not being party to it - are unaware of it happening.

Also, I think it's entirely fair to comment on the match day experience on a match thread.

31 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Fits beak ? Is that a trendy name for nose candy?

8 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Poor analogy. Shameful? It’s hardly crimes of the century.

See you’ve still not quantified your spurious claim.

I certainly think it is shameful to threaten elderly female supporters. If you do not, then there is little point of continuing the discussion.

53 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

I don't doubt you for a second on this point, but it's also understandable if us old duffers - not being party to it - are unaware of it happening.

Also, I think it's entirely fair to comment on the match day experience on a match thread.

Fair enough, just feel we could do without a certain air to the posts and they’d be better served in a thread where pampers could probably be offered to those who mock outrage.

For what it’s worth, my matchday experience wasn’t the worst up there despite being in the corner. Looked to be down in numbers stewarding wise - the club would have known this pre-match. The positioning could’ve been better & that had zero to do with previous misdemeanour. There was a self policing matter dealt with by the long standing bus convenor, so doft my cap there.

5 goals, clean sheet, win bonus & down the road.

44 minutes ago, dennyc said:

I certainly think it is shameful to threaten elderly female supporters. If you do not, then there is little point of continuing the discussion.

As would I. Questionable stewarding and policing if what you describe actually happened? Certainly  never heard that and I was within earshot throughout.

20 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

As would I. Questionable stewarding and policing if what you describe actually happened? Certainly  never heard that and I was within earshot throughout.

I think he's talking about another away day up there, maybe, still waiting on evidence of club paying for damage and turning a blind eye though.

13 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Happened two rows in front of me. Round about the time the water was/was not aimed at O'Donnell. The lady in question asked them to rein it in at which point she was approached by one guy in particular who gave her a mouthful. A few folk were about to step in when thankfully one of the guy's mates came over and dragged him away. But she was quite shaken. 

I think the stewards were occupied keeping the fans from jumping over the wall onto the trackside...again. Cannot recall whether the Police where there at that point. But interesting you prefer to look at the actions of the stewards rather than the behaviour of our fans. 

10 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Happened two rows in front of me. Round about the time the water was/was not aimed at O'Donnell. The lady in question asked them to rein it in at which point she was approached by one guy in particular who gave her a mouthful. A few folk were about to step in when thankfully one of the guy's mates came over and dragged him away. But she was quite shaken. 

I think the stewards were occupied keeping the fans from jumping over the wall onto the trackside...again. Cannot recall whether the Police where there at that point. But interesting you prefer to look at the actions of the stewards rather than the behaviour of our fans. 

Deary me, I agreed with you on the behaviour - just offering different slant. I’d fully expect them to be taken to task if it was as how you describe. There were police around. Stewards being occupied? They were only on the pitch when we scored so it wasn’t a recurring theme.

As for the drink thrown, that was done to death on here at the time and it still wasn’t thrown directly at O’Donnell, something he has recognised would you believe. It was actually thrown by someone in the same group at those blocking the view of others, granted a poor aim.

4 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

I think he's talking about another away day up there, maybe, still waiting on evidence of club paying for damage and turning a blind eye though.

And I'm still waiting of evidence that the Club has spoken out about the behaviour of fans in recent away matches in Paisley and Kilmarnock. Or at Dingwall that evening. Maybe I just missed it.

I do remember Burrows highlighting the damage caused to Fir Park by Celtic fans and then it all going quiet when Celtic reacted. I was told at that time there was an unwritten agreement that Clubs would compensate for damage, quietly. If that is incorrect I stand corrected. 

Not saying Motherwell are the only Club that shy away from challenging their own fans behaviour. You only have to look to Glasgow for other examples. Does not make it right though. Plenty of fans are embarrassed and angry at what we see on a regular basis. You may not like to accept but Motherwell have a poor reputation because of the fans behaviour.

And that brings us back full circle as to why Ross County might have felt it wise to isolate our fans in a small, more secure area of the ground. I think it was also likely cost played a part.

I think end of the day we are obviously not allowed to have a go at the Bois. My mates lads are in the Bois and are legends and give club great support but there is an element that drag the club down.  I don't care about other clubs fans behaviour, personally I despise the green brigade but I am a well fan and only care about my own club.  We give our fans praise and rightly so when they are great but should be allowed to criticise when justified. Don't need to agree with me, just giving an opinion, COYW

• Like 1