Celtic v Motherwell 01/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

I might be in the minority however i actually thought we were awful yesterday. 

We actually defended reasonably well across the back 4 but middle to front we were powderpuff. 

We know the squad is a complete mess, but yesterday shows just how far off it we are. Other than Cornelius running about a lot, Maguire and Goss offered absolutely nothing whatsoever, chasing shadows and when the did get the ball, they were utterly incapable of keeping it. 

The front 3 were also hopeless, nothing stuck, no interplay and massive distances between them so they were all totally isolated. Van Veen is so frustrating to watch but i could understand yesterday why he started to look a bit pissed off - shields and Spittal cuddled the touchline the entire time. 

It could and probably should have finished 4/5-1.

Oh, and Morris can just disappear thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

I might be in the minority however i actually thought we were awful yesterday. 

We actually defended reasonably well across the back 4 but middle to front we were powderpuff. 

We know the squad is a complete mess, but yesterday shows just how far off it we are. Other than Cornelius running about a lot, Maguire and Goss offered absolutely nothing whatsoever, chasing shadows and when the did get the ball, they were utterly incapable of keeping it. 

The front 3 were also hopeless, nothing stuck, no interplay and massive distances between them so they were all totally isolated. Van Veen is so frustrating to watch but i could understand yesterday why he started to look a bit pissed off - shields and Spittal cuddled the touchline the entire time. 

It could and probably should have finished 4/5-1.

Oh, and Morris can just disappear thanks. 

I agree, I thought we weren't great and scoreline flattered us 

Goss has shown he is a good footballer but he needs help in there, re Cornelius, running about a lot isn't enough at Parkhead, maybe he will develop more,I hope so .Maguire is very limited also

I thought we started the game quite positively which was refreshing to see. But it wasnt long before we were chasing shadows. Not that Celtic were cutting us open repeatedly, but they did have pretty much all the ball and created 2 or 3 very good chances over and above the goal. Conversely when we had it it we couldnt seem to keep it at all.  The own goal was a stroke of good fortune but it seemed to give us confidence and I though we finshed the half more strongly than before.

Second half I thought we were better. We kept our shape well, really limited their chances and looked more composed on the ball.  We got into some good areas, but our decision making and quality of delivery in the final third was poor so we didnt capitalise on our good field position.

The red card gave me hope that we might sneak a point at the end, but letting Morris hit the free kick when he should have been nowhere near it was a ludicrous decision. 

Overall, we got what we deserved from the game, but the players and the manager shouldnt be judged on yesterday alone.

We missed Slattery big time and Goss had no one to feed off or help him try and retain possession. Maguire and Cornelius were willing runners, but you need more than that going to Parkhead. 

Maybe Hammell could have played McKinstry and/or Tierney instead of Maguire and/or Cornelius, but there is no guarantee they would have kept the ball better and defensively it may have left us too open.

The positives are we didnt take a tanking and we have easier games coming up.

23 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I agree, I thought we weren't great and scoreline flattered us 

Goss has shown he is a good footballer but he needs help in there, re Cornelius, running about a lot isn't enough at Parkhead, maybe he will develop more,I hope so .Maguire is very limited also

It’s time to bench Maguire. He’s been dreadful for a while. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nsj said:

It’s time to bench Maguire. He’s been dreadful for a while. 

With Slattery missing due to family reasons, we are pretty limited in our options in that position.

If its not Maguire or Cornelius we are looking at Lennon Miller or dropping Tierney or McKinstry in there.  Not sure any of those options would have been the right one going to Celtic Park.

Going forward, if Slattery is still out, we might be able to change it up a little and go more attacking.

Id like to see what KVV and Moult could do together. Neither is the best as a lone striker, but they are both intelligent players who I think could feed off each other.

McKinstry wide getting good delivery into the box could be tasty.

I like Tierney playing in the hole but it might mean a change of shape to get them all on the park at the same time.....

After Joe Hart’s ridiculous display of play acting against us the other day it’s hugely satisfying seeing him sell the jerseys for Celtic in the CL tonight.

You couldn’t fall about like a starfish to save your team tonight ya big giraffe necked head & shoulders prick. :fuck:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:27 PM, GazzyB said:

We can’t get out, we can’t keep the ball, we can’t get up the pitch.

This Celtic team are one of their best ever, there’s no shame in struggling against them, but this is just a training game now.

The best ever didn't look too clever again last.

Celtic fans seemed to have given up on Europe altogether. Rangers' fans are melting downing because they got used to getting good results in the Europa and now they are getting shafted by better teams and don't like it. Both will still moan about any negative tactics employed against them in the league and other fans not paying to watch them without a hint of embarrasment. 

• Like 1

I see Celtic are appealing McGregor’s red card from Saturday even though it was a blatant professional foul to stop a clear goal scoring opportunity.

No surprises to be honest and nor will there be when it is overturned.

52 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I see Celtic are appealing McGregor’s red card from Saturday even though it was a blatant professional foul to stop a clear goal scoring opportunity.

No surprises to be honest and nor will there be when it is overturned.

It should be a big surprise if that is overturned. 
nit even sure why they are appealing. Apparently he’ll be out injured anyway. 

3 hours ago, mfc said:

They cunts have a  brass neck to be even appealing it but if that red card gets overturned then the game is well and truly gubbed.

They always get their own way and have done for a number of years now.  They just love to play the victim . Scumbags.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, steelboy said:

The best ever didn't look too clever again last.

Celtic fans seemed to have given up on Europe altogether. Rangers' fans are melting downing because they got used to getting good results in the Europa and now they are getting shafted by better teams and don't like it. Both will still moan about any negative tactics employed against them in the league and other fans not paying to watch them without a hint of embarrasment. 

I didn’t watch but the fact of the matter is the game has progressed frighteningly quickly over the past 10/15 years, and that counts as double for mid tier European teams like Leipzig, Dortmund, Spurs etc. The amount of money and sport science available to these teams is insane.

Doesn’t matter how good Celtic get or how much fitter/faster they are from the John Hartson  days, they’re miles behind these teams (never mind your Madrid’s or Man City’s)  and won’t ever make up that ground.

10 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I didn’t watch but the fact of the matter is the game has progressed frighteningly quickly over the past 10/15 years, and that counts as double for mid tier European teams like Leipzig, Dortmund, Spurs etc. The amount of money and sport science available to these teams is insane.

Doesn’t matter how good Celtic get or how much fitter/faster they are from the John Hartson  days, they’re miles behind these teams (never mind your Madrid’s or Man City’s)  and won’t ever make up that ground.

Agree with this GazzyB, in the main our domestic league has been left behind , the gap widens each year and as you say not just v's English teams but the broader European set up. 

I don't see how the Old Firm can compete in Europe . They would need to be in a far more competitive domestic league with teams of a similar stature.  Playing +40 games against teams who have 1/10th of their financial reach can't be good for them, and arguably not great for our league.   

Even if they could compete financially with the mid tier European teams, they need to raise their game significantly, they may occasionally do well but will always be found out in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Agree with this GazzyB, in the main our domestic league has been left behind , the gap widens each year and as you say not just v's English teams but the broader European set up. 

I don't see how the Old Firm can compete in Europe . They would need to be in a far more competitive domestic league with teams of a similar stature.  Playing +40 games against teams who have 1/10th of their financial reach can't be good for them, and arguably not great for our league.   

Even if they could compete financially with the mid tier European teams, they need to raise their game significantly, they may occasionally do well but will always be found out in the long run.

I agree that it is going to be difficult for them to compete at Champions League level, but Rangers showed last year they can absolutely compete at Europa League level. Their big problem is that they sold their 2 best players close season in Bassey and Aribo and despite the rather large transfer fees and Europa League money, didnt replace them with players of anywhere near the same quality. Add in that the directors were probably looking to recover some of their soft loans and its not hard to see why they have gone backwards.

I think Celtic are a different matter. They seem to have recruited well and should have been in a position to  compete better in the Champions League, however, they have picked up injuries to key players which has prevented them from doing so. Im thinking Starfeld, Carter Vickers and now McGregor. Its going to be tough for them now and Europa League is probably best they can hope for.

Given the number of games both have played in Europe over the past few seasons, Im not sure exposure to more competitive football is the biggest issue for them. If it was of course, both could help to create a more competitive environment in their domestic league by agreeing to a fairer share of the wealth in our game. But thats a whole different argument and one they would never agree to.

For me the problem they have is mostly financial. Scotland doesnt have a good enough tv contract to generate the revenue they would need to attract the level of player necessary to compete at Champions League level, which is why the big 5 leagues dominate proceedings the way that they do.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't give a f@@k about Rangers, Celtic or European football.  We have been going backwards for years and the TV money is only part of the equation. The biggest problem Scottish football have is that the SFA and League management only care about two clubs and whilst that situation remains, we will never be competitive in any way shape or form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grumpy said:

Personally, I don't give a f@@k about Rangers, Celtic or European football.  We have been going backwards for years and the TV money is only part of the equation. The biggest problem Scottish football have is that the SFA and League management only care about two clubs and whilst that situation remains, we will never be competitive in any way shape or form.

Yup to be clear the point I was making had no trace of sympathy for either of them. I hope Rangers get beaten comfortably when they play, and I hope Celtic get absolutely fucking scudded.

I actually don’t mind Hearts/Aberdeen etc doing well, but fuck the Old Firm.

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

For me the problem they have is mostly financial. Scotland doesnt have a good enough tv contract to generate the revenue they would need to attract the level of player necessary to compete at Champions League level, which is why the big 5 leagues dominate proceedings the way that they do.

Scottish football will never get a decent TV contract because in reality nobody wants to watch it, Sky, BT , Premier etc are only interested in the ugly sisters, as those 2 have a potential worldwide audience, you won't see foreign football fans settling down to watch the likes of Ross County v Motherwell live from Dingwall.

In European terms the uglies are Diddy teams regular qualifiers but never feature in the latter stages apart from odd great run every decade or so.  Their regular qualification means Scotland gets spots in the qualifiers for the Europa and conference leagues but the teams very rarely if ever make the group stages, and even when they do they are so far off the standard required it's embarrassing at times.

9 euro games played by Scottish teams so far thus season and its 7 defeats, 1 draw and 1 win, this week all 3 were so outclassed by their opponents it was embarrassing .

Scottish football is what it is though, its great to have a Euro away day, but in reality most of the Scottish clubs are out before the next season starts, and probably that would  apply to the uglies as well  but for the ridiculous and corrupt Uefa policies to keep the big teams happy and let them into the EL and ECL after getting papped out of the champions league etc.

• Like 1