Motherwell v Aberdeen 22/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

We are unbeaten in the last 5 against Aberdeen, having won 4 and  1 draw. We played really well in August up at Pittodrie if we can match that performance and more importantly finishing I have no doubt we will win.

They have been a mixed bag as of late getting pumped by Dundee United but beating Hearts. A win here would be most welcome, it's the penultimate home game before the World Cup break with Celtic being the last so it would be nice to enjoy a home win.

• Like 1

An important game for sure. We need to go right back to doing the basics, something that’s not been happening and yes I do believe we have enough in the team to do that. As mentioned above we played well up at Aberdeen only a few weeks ago with more or less the same group of players, this talk again of the worst squad of players is nonsense, anything other than relegation a plus, again total nonsense.  The defending has been  appalling yet we have plenty of experience in there, we have one of the best goalkeepers in the league, left back has been sorted, good options on the other side, Lamie was probably our best centre half last season, it’s not full of teenagers but some with actual international experience, it’s players not doing their jobs. Midfield has gone backwards for some reason, again back to the basics of workrate, organisation, aggression where needed. I think mistakes have been made up front, we needed additions that could hit the ground running to support Van Veen, wrong choices in my view. I’m sure the manager is fully aware of what’s needed and if that happens we should be ok with a good record against Aberdeen.  We certainly can’t have a mindset of waiting till Christmas to start picking up points when we’ve been more than able of doing ok against anyone outside the old firm for years. If we start thinking that way we are in trouble.

I remember all the negativity before game at pittodrie and look what happened.

Depends who we have available but I wouldn't have shields starting and Van Veen needs to be up for this game, can't have the jogging round pitch without care in world attitude that he produces at times.

I would even be tempted with 3-5-2 with Mcginn moving in one and SOD at right wing back. The guy has 25 caps for Scotland in similar role so can't be as bad as a lot of people make him out to be.

COYW

I don't think the squad is quite as bad as many are making out. That said, there are glaring weaknesses and we all know where they are. The trick is in selecting the right starting 11, playing the right formation, and playing players to their strengths. Easy.......maybe not so! A few of our better players ie. Van Veen, Kelly and Slattery are underperforming - why?  I suspect we're not playing VV in the right way for example, or those supporting him, to bring out his strengths. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfc said:

Were toiling a bit at the minute but there's absolutely no reason why we can't win this game.

Agree with this but I hope that Efford, Aarons and Moult are fit and available, we have created nothing in the last 2 games so we need some options to make us more of a threat. The way we are playing just now if we go a goal down, it's hard to see how we are going to get back into the game. 

Normally fancy us against Aberdeen. I think our biggest concern is who is fit and available for selection. Our squad is looking very threadbare at the moment, moreso in the attacking areas. Hopefully we can get a few back and give us a fighting chance. I dont think its a must win game, but a point and a decent performance would steady the ship a little.

12 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Aberdeen's away form in the league has been shite.  W1 D1 L3 and 4-13 goals for and against.

Their defence is as bad as it was last season.

If we don't go into this one looking for a win we have big problems.

And of course given our record against them we should, I do worry however that we’re not in a great place and we could see problems. We need the win so hopefully a worry that ends up unfounded.

Feels like ages ago we absolutely pumped County. Hopefully we can defend better than we did against the OF, and get a wee bit of support to KVV and some quality going forward. Not sure who’s available but really don’t want to see Shields or Morris in the starting line up. If we HAVE to choose between the two I’d go with Morris. 

Gonna say 2-0 to us and we return to the type of performance we put in against Dundee Utd. 

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Not sure who’s available but really don’t want to see Shields or Morris in the starting line up. If we HAVE to choose between the two I’d go with Morris.

If we must play Josh Morris then play him in his correct position of left sided midfielder. Until we do that we can't really judge him. He isn't a striker.

I’m not convinced Morris would offer much even at left mid, but I agree that that’s where he should play if he does play.

As for Moult, if he can’t get up to the required level of fitness then we should be terminating his loan as all he is doing is taking up space on the treatment table.

What Are the injuries to Effords, Moult and Aaron’s? I haven’t heard much at all. While we looked pretty bad against Celtic last night I think it’s their speed that kills us most rather than skill level.  Our players just look so sluggish but fortunately the other teams out with the OF don’t really have that same level as Celtic. Spittal and Slattery looked dreadful last night. Lamie as well and then add in KVV and McKinstry. We just don’t have players fast enough to challenge Celtic but I’m hoping we will see much improved displays from our midfield to help the forwards create and score chances.   Our defence actually plays well for the most part but just too many killer lapses or mistakes resulting in goals for the opposition. If we can cut out the mistakes it will make a hell of a difference. Mentality I think. Be more aggressive in attacking the ball. Get to ball first, Don’t dither. When in doubt boot it out. As mentioned in other posts it’s not even that we give up a goal as much as how big an effect it has on the rest of the team when we go behind. A win here would be a big confidence booster.